why single end mills?

I always buy double end mills on account of cost, but I'm curious. What application requires a single end mill?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

A short end mill holder. Also, some collets aren't deep enough to take a double end mill.

Reply to
Bob Swinney

My mill uses 30 taper toolholders, and some of them are pretty short for a double-ended tool.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Bergstrom

I have some fairly long single end mills, about four inches.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

Some endmills are larger that the shank of the endmill holder. The hole for the mill is not deep enough for a double end mills to go in to the locking flat.

Reply to
Bill Cotton

Hey Jim,

Flute length and taper are two reasons. And cost to a lesser extent.

Take care.

Brian Laws>I always buy double end mills on account of cost, but I'm curious. What

Reply to
Brian Lawson