Reed Prentice 14 x 30 lathe questions

I just put some money down on a great 14 x 30 Reed Prentice lathe looks to be from the 1940's and is really solid. It comes with two three jaw chucks a 16 " face plate, a four jaw chuck and a bunch of tooling. The seller doesn't have any documentation and no dead or live centers, I was wondering if anyone knew what the tail stock took? The seller seems to think it's a #4 but isn't sure.

Also does any one have a lead on any documentation for this lathe?

TAI

Jack Fisher

Reply to
Jack Fisher

Jack, I've got a Reed although I think it's an 16. I don't have any docs and would be interested if you find anything. I will help any way I can. It is a SWEET piece of iron, you will love it! It has a #4 taper

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Both AA & B 14" Reed Prentice lathes had #4 MT in the tailstock quill.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Thats one heavy piece of iron. Good choice if its in good condition!

It should be MT4.

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Reply to
Gunner

The spindle should be a #15 Jarno and the tailstock MT 4. Try Saginaw Machine Systems to see if they still have manuals.

We love our 16" sliding gearhead machine.

Les

Reply to
Ljwebb11

I have a #4 you can use to check the fit.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Jon:

Thanks for the offer, I'll see you Sunday maybe I can take that a look at the #4 you have.

Thanks to all who replied to my questions, I've had may people confirm that the tailstock is a #4, now I can start looking for centers and other fun stuff. If I come across any doucmentation I'll let you guys know. And I will post some photos after I get her in place.

Jack Fisher

Reply to
Jack Fisher

I have 1942 14" Reed-Prentice. It is a very good machine. I have manaul if you would like a copy let me know, or if I can answer any ? Craig

Reply to
hambone