While we're talking about South Bend lathe values

An old friend passed on and I ended up buying his shop. One of the things I have extra is an incredibly nice Model A South Bend 9" with the 3
1/2' bed. It has almost all the original "frosting" on it. Comes with a lever collet attachment and collets, micrometer stop, steady rest, three jaw Buck and four jaw Skinner chucks, two face plates, tail stock, of course, Aloris-type quick-change tool post with holders (as well as the old Armstrong holders) and is the cabinet model. Paint looks fairly new (tan). It has been converted to a DC motor (Leeson 3/4 hp, 90v) with a Variac/rectifier control (he never did like the solid state stuff!). The lathe is located in Oklahoma City. I really don't want to split it up and eBay it. It's just too nice with everything matched. And, too nice for me to use in my shop. What should it market for, fairly? Respectfully, Ron Moore
Ron Moore wrote:

In Oklahoma City? I'd start that sweetie pie at $3500! What a deal for a home shop guy. *Unless* it was made in the early '80s when SB first took production to Taiwan and they had some QC problems ..
GWE
I had forgotten to include that it was a flat belt version. Catalog #CL344ZD. I think it's much older than that. I appreciate the input. Now, if that were an offer........ Thanks, Ron

If its a 9" I think its all USA, the 10 was built until 1983ish. I had a 1982 10K with hardend bed that was a nice machine, but it sold for more than I paid for a SB 14" with hard ways and ALL the goodies.

Actually, I was looking at $2500 for the lathe and all mentioned items. I will post or email pics if anyone is curious. It really is a nice machine. I didn't mention it but it is a flat belt (new) drive type. Respectfully, Ron Moore

Ron Moore wrote:

You are certainly asking top dollar.
John
If you could get 3500 from some idiot-- more power to you!! No way in my opionion.. too many other better lathes out there.
Best way I know of is to do a historical search on ebay.. you will see top prices paid and you can begin to judge from there.
Importantly, you can "calibrate" the conditioon of your lathe with the lathes that sold for XX price.
SB are really common in some areas and rare as hen's teeth in others. Here in CO, there have been 6 that I know of going for 400 at the low end to 1500 at one of hte auctions for a not so good SB model A. WAY to high in my opinion for a SB-- bidder fever big time. SB are good (but not great) lathes (I have a Shedon Emco and a Clausing Colchester... all of which will run rings around a SB Model A-- and none cost over 1,000). The real "selling" factor is the size -- this SB is perfect for the home shop.
Sounds like you have a mint condition lathe, so 800.00 -1,000 is VERY real... and 12-1300 is still a very good buy.
Good luck... these are my opinons only... your mileage will vary!
Steve

Ron Moore wrote:

Similar lathes recently sold at a high school auction near me for around $900, though they didn't have as much tool as yours.
$1000-$1500 is probably a reasonable range.
John