Lathe Question

A friends dad has a 1977 Atlas 6" Model 3950 lathe for sale. It looks to be in very good condition. Some of the tooling that is included are:

4 jaw independent chuck 4" dia 3 jaw universal chuck 4" dia 5.25 dia face plate 1/2" capacity jacobs chuck #1 MT 60* dead center #1 MT 60* dead center #2 MT 60* live center #1 MT 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1 1/2", 2" lathe dogs complete gear set for speeds and feeds (never used) Milling attachment Milling cutter holder follow rest steady rest various tool holders and boring bars

I'm interested in buying it from my friends dad, but know nothing about Atlas 6" lathes, and their quality and dependability for machining mild steel. Possibly someone in this group has some experience on this particular lathe and give an opinion? Also what the value might be for this setup?

Reply to
Jack
[posted and mailed]

Jack wrote in news:MtidnWo0U-sOAILdRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Popular little machines. There is an Atlas_Craftsman yahoogroup that I started several years ago and is flourishing with information. A good price for that machine would be about $600 or so IMHO.

Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

This is a small if reasonable quality machine for a home shop, or for learning on. The accessories make it more valuable, those will often cost dearly to obtain. To get some comps look on ebay. The other thing that increases the value to you is the fact that the machine does not have to be shipped or packed.

If you were looking to purchase a similar machine off ebay then you would add at least a couple hundred dollars to have it sent to you - so factor that in as well.

But just for laughs, price out the ebay cost for just the milling attachment and steady rest.

Jim

jim rozen

) x?VÛnÜ6|?8@¸-Öë8Wä?$n?-j4m?}*(??è¥x?ZEýú?´¶·JÒ_­^ÚWyaëI?dKgòÑËdµÿ?ï¿?¿^l?ÿáO÷õ/UL?0kúY?;?j??Íæå?}uOþ-.¨ ÖxI+M?¤èüÙ?t?~9?C$qfC´Mä?w?ÁSaÈz?0R?©d¯m²ìqð·?¸"???õ5?U"q¨t½6?çÿßÆ#ºVi?ã?MÍõk«gæ3½·¨­|??åUª4Ô ³Øs~ö`?PªN?6HSrçø?ÓåÕâ?û?6?@?ÚMøÚ]>·?©/?©sMÏÏoè?CGÓè5×qôë?I?j£À ?&?t?ZÊkªò?Þmê£Ñß-b\Z?9 RRe?úÏn)û$­5ì´ ?];Ç?b?ã§ßíU°ÜÇLÆ9öT|ÁA²*,;_,lOZ0å! úý(Ç-@ ÜR;Þݯí< ö?? @ÁXZjõH?yqëÓ ô¡WNø&+?Taó??¦ÖKøÖ:½??b?*ßr?¶p#E?}Ö/?Tî»lò?ÌÇÎHPÏ;1»l`½%&îHiµpSyâå°Mtá"Ó ?={åz?"ë&?}HíKg?t`Y?>zwôãJ6Yq´Ø*çÈV»?ìUO= 5á2åQ?:Z? wë£Px'ï?!Ìþu% ?¥?ô0?vF?Ür?º

Reply to
Greg Menke

I paid $600 for my very similar machine.

Lane

Reply to
lane

Years ago a bought the Atlas 6 inch when it came out in the 1970's. It was a pretty good machining but not really rigid/stiff. I bought the milling attachment and that really showed the machine was not rigid. I sold the

6-inch when I got a good deal on a used 12-inch Atlas. I bought the milling attachment for the 12-inch and it worked pretty good.
Reply to
Larry Silkaitis

How's $20 + shipping sound?

I'll agree, I used mine for five or six years, and it was rather pedestrian, but it did what I asked it to. Actually a pretty decent and well thought out little machine.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Where'd you find that? Last I looked, they were bidding up to $100 or more.

The tumble reverse really does it for me. My dad's SB 9 has that ridiculous lever & bolt, which you can only reach by opening the cover- which requires observing the various interlocks. Life is too short for that sort of thing.

Gregm

Reply to
Greg Menke

Heck, If I had all the stuff Lennie has, I'd be selling a milling attachment that cheap, too!

:)

Jim

jim rozen

Picked it up from the local Scrapyard, "Friendly Fred" didn't really want to send it to the compactor, so when it came in he held it for me. Part of a package deal, (Such a deal I got for you!), and I didn't really want to send it back to him.

While I'm thinking of it, anyone interested in a smaller jig bore? There's one available locally, he wants $500, but even a small one is bigger than anything I want. Located in southeast Wisconsin. Any interest and I can find out more about it, like "Who made it?".

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Thanks guys (and gals if there is any) for all the Atlas info. I bought it for $500 and it's a winner, the only thing I don't like is the rocker tool post and holders. I think their a pain trying to keep on center all the time. I saw a quick change tool post on the web :

'd like to know if anyone uses this one and how they feel about it?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond...Jack

Reply to
Jack

If that's the one with the milling attachment, steady rest, etc, then you got a pretty good deal. I have a co-worker who recently puchased an asian 7" lathe, and he put that exact toolpost on it. He's been very pleased with the results so far with that instead of the rocker type.

The other benefit besides ease of use is increased rigidity.

Jim

jim rozen

Sounds like you got a very good deal on that lathe. Congratulations, Jack.

As for the TS Engineering tool post, they are selling them on ebay under id rmteo. I don't have one, but apparently a lot of people have been getting them lately (generally under $75 for the set). I have heard nothing more than minor complaints (meaning, the users are still happy enough with them).

I use a KRF Omnipost on the 618 and am very happy with it, although it is more expensive (about $200 for post and four holders).

-Bruno

Reply to
Bruno

While the rocker tool post is nowhere near any ideal, it is usable and flexible (pun not intended)in setups.

One way I have seen to improve things a great deal is to turn up a donut of aluminum or steel to fit around the tool post. By a little judicious planning, it will come out at a height to allow the tool holder to be at the right height to hold the cutter edge at the center height.

Lesse if the ascii art works today....

XXX XXX / \ _ / \ // MMMMMMMMMMMM / \MMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMI IMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMI IMMMMMMMMMM I---------------------I I I I I I I I I I I I I

------------I-----I---------I-----I--------------

Not great, but it gives the idea. It will speread the area of contact out, and improve rigidity. It is also a cheap fix. Cheap is good. Sometimes. :-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

There is a Pratt & Witney 1 1/2 jig bore available in Torrence California for $500.

Looked pretty good.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Ummmm, yeah. I'm sitting looking at a small production mill and a #2 B&O turret lathe thinking that if I could find some young person that wants to take a stab at setting up for short run production, arrangements to borrow the stuff, and more, could be made. Some of the older production stuff is nothing short of amazing, clean it up, take out the slack, and it will work as good as a new one. In other words, I'm running out of room.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

I like the rocker toolpost. It allows me a lot of adjustment for different processes, and allows me a good line of sight of the part. I do as much turning from the right side of the carriage as I do from the left. I use a shop built tool bit holder which allows me to flip it over for left/right use. This allows me to machine with compound swung away, swung near, rh turning, lh turning, forward or reverse with changeovers in just a few seconds. The toolbit is not always required nor wanted to be on center.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

If it will work on an Atlas 10" I'm interested.

Reply to
Doug Arthurs

Don't know. If you lift the compound off, and the pin is about 1.250, it'll probably fit. Don't lose the little tapered plugs that engage with the dovetail, (for lack of a better term.) The socket in the bottom of this one measures about 1.249 or thereabouts.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

How bout a carriage/micrometer stop, part number 6810. Got any collecting dust that you want to dispose of?

Reply to
Jack