Advice on choosing a mini lathe

I'm finally ready to buy my first lathe. I need something small, and precise. I've seen some positive words about the 7x Mini Lathe, but also Chinese imports derided. I'll modify and improve it over the years. Preferably I'll want a good second hand one to keep the cost down. What do people recommend?

Thanks,

Alan

Reply to
Scrim

First thought is 'Don't' as they are too small to do much with but if you are determined, there are yahoo groups that might help to find good brands from bad. Machines (new, Sieg brand) from Arc-Euro have a good reputation and back up from the company. Second hand is a double lottery A) you often don't know its history B) It could be one of the poor Chinese variants.

Try looking at least daily at

on there sell fast and sellers tend to be reputable types.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks. I thought they were all made in China though?

Alan

Reply to
Scrim

Hi Alan, There was a Mini-lathe on Fee-pay not long ago, used without a motor, it went for about ten quid less than a brand new one. What was that about a fool and his money soon parted? Buy new and get the "warranty". If you are determined to buy one, I would suggest you buy the WPS book on the Mini-lathe first, and if you want "precise" be prepared to do a bit of fettling. Once sorted, they can be quite usable. T.W.

Reply to
the wizard

Yes I think they are all made in China but at different factories and maybe even castings from differnet foundries. The end product quality depends of the relationship between the importer and the factory/foundry as well as in some cases the inspection/fettling done by importers such as Arc Euro.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi Alan, There was a Mini-lathe on Fee-pay not long ago, used without a motor, it went for about ten quid less than a brand new one. What was that about a fool and his money soon parted? Buy new and get the "warranty". If you are determined to buy one, I would suggest you buy the WPS book on the Mini-lathe first, and if you want "precise" be prepared to do a bit of fettling. Once sorted, they can be quite usable. T.W.

Thanks. I would rather have something like a newer Myford, but it needs to fit in a small bedroom with other gear and I can't stretch to, or justify, paying thousands. If there's something that would fit my bill that I've missed, please let me know. Another concern is annoying the people in the flat below. I imagine it will be easier to isolate the rumble from the floor with a lighter mini lathe than from a heavy full sized one. Alan

Reply to
Scrim

Emco made a lathe in about the same size range. Probably some used ones running around.

Reply to
RBnDFW

First, minilathes are quite mini - think of a beercan, it's hard to make anything bigger on one.

Cheap secondhand ones do not seem to be available. I don't know why, though I assume it's because the people who buy them don't sell them, even when they get a bigger lathe.

Things to look out for - motor power, get lots of power. Essential for low-speed work.

Hardened bed, at least 14" long.

US-made printed circuit board, or equivalent. Some Chinese PCBs are/were rubbish, though these are getting rarer.

Lever tailstock.

IMO digital readouts are a convenience, but that's all. The others are necessary!

Looking at some models, prices include delivery and VAT:

AET super C3 £506 500W 400mm dials lever US

- New model, powerful motor, longer bed. Sounds interesting.

AET C3 £416 350W 350mm dials lever US

- Standard C3.

AET C3:dro £486 350W 350mm digital lever US

- Standard C3 with DROs.

Warco Mini £435 400W 300mm dials lever Hardened US

- Nice, standard upgraded with good tailstock and better motor. Bed seems a little short (actually the bed is normal length, the tailstock is just longer).

Chester Conquest £415 400W 325mm dials Hardened? US

- Standard C3, awful paintjob, no lever tailstock, otherwise OK.

Chester Conquest Super £557 400W 350mm digital Hardened? US

- seems very expensive for what it is.

Axminster C2A £436 250W 300mm digital

- this is a 2a, not a C3 - teensy motor, Does have digital readouts.

Machinemart CL300M £504 300W 300mm dials

- not enough to be interesting, especially at that price.

I'll pick three out of that lot - first, for a cheap standard one, the AET C3 at about £415. You might also consider the Chester Conquest - more powerful motor, the disadvantages being the paint job and no lever tailstock.

Next a slightly more expensive model, the Warco mini at £435. Nice machine, powerful motor and a good tailstock, Hardened bed, and Warco are famous for good service.

Last, the AET super C3 sounds very interesting at £504. I haven't seen one in the flesh or tried one out, but the more powerful brushless motor and the longer bed are definite pluses, and it doesn't have gear change

- apparently it doesn't need it as it has enough low speed power - which, if it works is really good news, the gears break and are noisy.

If I was in the market for one I'd try the AET super C3 at low speed, and if it worked well that's the one I'd go for - but it's a bit new just now (and the metric one isn't in stock for 2 months).

After that, I'd consider the extra £20 on the Warco would be well spent.

-- Peter Fairbrother

(no connection to any of the companies mentioned) (bribes gratefully accepted, though :)

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Thanks. I've noticed variations in motor power, but I haven't noticed any with a Hardened bed. Beer can sized would be big for me!!! I'll check out Warco. Alan

Reply to
Scrim

Forgot to look at the ones on fleabay. There's two at £405, from amadeal888 and harryuk123. I have bought stuff from both in the past without problems.

Both have 4" chucks as standard, which is most useful as the hole in the chuck is bigger than in the usual 80mm chuck, and 20mm bar will fit inside it.

They have lever lock tailstocks and 550W motors (!). They also have spindle speed DROs, if that's of interest. Slightly more risky than the others, but ... well worth considering.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

My recommendation is that you should join your local model engineering club wherein you will find a lot of helpful fellow enthusiasts, who will also have their tabs on decent second hand equipment for sale.

There is a local society for almost every county and major city in England.

For what it is worth, here is mine ...

Magnum

S7>kh±

Not all - think Cowells.

Reply to
Neil

Also Taig (Peatol) - made in USA.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

... ... ... ... ... ...

I like the Warco. Shame it's only 300mm. I like the idea of the quieter AET super C3, but I don't think it has a hardened bed, and newness + 2 month delay are a pain. Alan

Reply to
Scrim

Thanks, Have joined the forum, but it looks a bit quiet!

Scrim

Cowells: Ouch! Look at the prices though! Alan

Reply to
Scrim

I digital speed readout has value.

Reply to
RBnDFW

You can have quality or you can have cheap. Rarely can you get both together.

If beer can size is too big for you, consider a watchmaker's lathe, though they aren't cheap either.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

It would help if we had some idea of how much or how little is envisaged.

Or is 'money' one of the things that polite people don't discuss.

ravensworth2674

I'd like both, but I think 7x12 or 7x14 seem like the size for me Alan

Reply to
Scrim