advice on buying a mill and lathe

I'm a hobbyist and I make mostly small stuff like small parts and woodworking tools. Recently I've learned from my father-in-law how to forge laminated steel in the Japanese style. I'm thinking I would like to buy my own equipment to make planes, chisels and other cutting tools in my free time. Right now I'm using and old, beat up South Bend and older Bridgeport that was bought as surplus probably twenty years ago. They are both overkill for what I do right now, but I hope to become more sophisticated in the future.

The machines belong to someone else, and I can't keep taking over his machines to learn with. I'm not good enough to tell the difference between the higher end and hobby grade equipment, so I think would be happy with something on the lower end. I'm also an amateur woodworker, and I own some Grizzly woodworking machinery (6" jointer, 1023, and 14" bandsaw). I consider the Grizzly stuff to be pretty good. Can I assume that the Grizzly lathes and Mills are of the same quality as their woodworking stuff?

I know professional machinists advocate the really expensive stuff, but I do this only as a hobby. I don't see myself ever making a living at it. If the Grizzly equipment isn't suitable, could someone recommend a lathe and Mill for about $5000.00 total? I suppose it doesn't matter whether it's new or used, as long as I don't have to spend a bunch of money for rebuilds in the case of used equipment.

--

-linux_lad To verify that this post isn't forged, click here:

-linux_lad

If you have been using a genuine Bridgeport, you won't be happy downscaling to some of the smaller/cheaper foreign stuff. It depends a lot of what you are doing to determine IF the smaller stuff will actually do the job you want. The biggest problem is getting enough mass to keep the chatter down and gain the rigidity you need. There is a reason the Bridgport weighs 2200 pounds and the average Mill/Drill comes in at 600

I have found several reasonable Bridgeport mills in the $2000 range. At that price they will be belt change, no power on the table, and no DRO but still serviceable. Or you can try a Mill/Drill for $1000 new/ half that used.

-l> I'm a hobbyist and I make mostly small stuff like small parts and

Reply to
RoyJ

A guy by me in Yonkers, NY has two southbend 10" lathes, belt drive, snap handle collet closers for about $2500 ea. Which I think is high. email me if yer interested. For small work you really should have a 5C collet system of some sort. Snap handle is the best, imo, but you also have spin lock, draw bar. He also has a variable speed Rockwell 10", snap handle, for under $2K, also kind of high. Have seen many 13" Clausings variable speed for $2500. All dealers. But the real deal was my compadre who got a full gear head Clausing Colchester, 13x40, snap handle, turret, for $2500. wow.... I happened to get a fantastic lathe for my purposes.... Some will laugh when I say Enco, but WHAT AN ENCO!!! goodgawd.... DRO, snap handle 5C, full tooling, cam-lock 3,4jaw chucks, turret, manuals, new bearings, oh, oh.... **full Aloris tooling**.... great guy, felt sorry for me, I won't even tell you the price.... You ain't lived 'til you've worked on a lathe w/ DRO and aloris tooling.... wow..... In many ways, I actually prefer this Enco to my buddy's Clausing Colchester. Esp. since my buddy's CC done broke recently. :(

The seller has permanent visiting rights, tho, to make sure I'm not abusing his baby.... :)

You gotta look, look, look. I put a Lathe/ Mill wanted sign at my tooling suppliers pickup counter, got a few calls. Good for the supplier, cuz now ahm buyin tooling like crazy.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Not *that* high, depending on condition.

Does that guy in Yonkers have any small milling machines (including horizontals) by any chance?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I think you put it correctly. You can assume the Grizzly lathes and mills are of the same quality as the ww stuff. The problem is, this isn't what you need for metal. The import machines work, I've had a couple of them. The machines you are using now almost certainly work better.

Steve

-l> I'm a hobbyist and I make mostly small stuff like small parts and

Reply to
Steve Smith

I'll email you his number, iffin I kin un-munge your addy! If anyone else wants it, drop me a line.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®