Magnetize your Maglite

I sawed off the threaded portion of this EMT connector.

My MiniMAG LED flashlight fits very nicely in it.

I clamp on a toroidal magnet using the setscrew. This is very handy to stick on my sheet metal shear so I can see the cut mark.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Would it be easier to get a Tensor (showing my age) lamp and strap that on some how?

Stormin Mormon

Cool -

I have suspended auto headlights over my lathe - remember they say change both when one burns out ? - the spare I wired both filaments to together and took the common and ran them to a 12V (AC) transformer. It was a nice high intensity bulb.

Neat concept Winston - wonder if the larger EMT connectors hold larger Mag lights ?

Mart> I sawed off the threaded portion of this EMT connector.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I like it!

Possibly, though the larger lights might be too heavy. Perhaps two or more magnets and connectors would work if they were spaced far enough apart.

The connector labeled 1/2" is actually about 0.715" ID.

With sizes labeled from 1/2" to 4" diameter, there should be an EMT connector for everybody.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Damn, that maglight will not cooperate with HOLDZEM=A9=AE. To slippery & smallish dia.

Great stocking stuffer s from Harbor Freight. 2 LED lights with batteries $4!

HOLDZEM=A9=AE work great with these!

Special offer: AMC & RCM Send me your mailing address by e-mail & I'll send you some Holdzem's for the cost of USPS, around $3-4 in US. otherwise:

cncmillgil

Some news papers have a coupon for free one of those.

This should lead to a scanned image of a coupon for Harbor Freight. Enjoy the free flash light!

Harbor Freight coupons.

clicked the link "more coupons" at the bottom, and some seriously good coupons appeared.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, but... Unlike a household 3-way lamp, halogen car headlight bulbs are designed to use either the low-beam or the high beam filament one at a time - you are dumping too much heat into the lamp envelope running both at once.

I'd have to measure, but it's possible - the Rigid Conduit sizes follow Pipe sizes, but the EMT tubing OD sizes only follow pipe sizes at 2" and above - and a D-cell Maglite is around 1-1/2".

Try both 1-1/4 EMT and Rigid fittings, one or the other.

Worst case, you might have to make a shim for the compression ring. Myself, I'd just use a hose clamp and not worry about fancy fittings.

Or rig up a gooseneck light on the machine tool permanently, so the light is always there - Littlelite makes nice ones. 12V 5W or 10W halogen lamps with a close fitting shroud, and a rheostat dimmer on the base. Six foot cord to a wall-wart, or do a wart-ectomy and use it in a car.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

(...)

I agree!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

These are rather incredible little lights for the price. Very lightweight, very bright, very cheap. OK, the 3 AAA batteries are apparently carbon-zinc, but I'm still on the originals after 5 months. I use it to check the end of the driveway (130') in the morning to see if the paper is delivered yet. Worked fine at 2 AM to check the roof when something went thump in a windstorm. I bought extras for the car and for my wife so SHE can check the roof next time!

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Five months on carbon batteries is incredible. I take the carbons out, and put in my outdoor thermometer, where they last a couple weeks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How do they handle the occasional fall to the floor? My favorite indoor sport (after sleep of course) is dropping flashlights.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:04:26 -0500, the infamous Larry Kraus scrawled the following:

Har!

I finally upgraded my 2AA Mini Maglite to LED. What about these switches for them? Anyone use one? It says it's for the mini maglite but doesn't mention LED conversions. $6.99 sounds fair.

I bought one of these for half price on sale and like it. 3AA, 5LED.
But these are what I usually reach for when needing a flashlight. They're not all that bright, but they're real handy. $3 on sale.

-- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have four mini mags - so far. D and I both have a personal one, and there are a pair on the boat for guests to use (and as back up - which has never been needed).

All have been converted to LED, but not bothered with the switches.

Twisting the nose piece is a very positive indication of whether the light should be on or not. Click on - click off - doesn't indicate if it's supposed to be on or off...

Reply to
cavelamb

Never tried one. How's about you be our field reporter?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I caught something like that at Walgreens, on a close out. $2.50. They are reasonable light. Too long to fit in my pocket, but it would be good for tool box.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you unscrew the lens cap, and yank out the refelctor. Pull out the bulb. Now, you can put in the Nite Ize LED module. You end up with a LED headlamp that takes AA cells, and totals about ten bucks. I have several, and really love them. HF has the LED module by Nite Ize. Walmart used to have the Nite Ize module, but havn't seen them recently.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon