Shaded pole motors

Buddy at work has a blower motor for his pellet stove that has given up the ghost. A call around finds the blower is OEM only at $312.00 or so.
This buys the motor, housing and fan. He just needs a motor. Grainger had something close he is going to try to make work but just in case that fails, anyone know other good sources for shaded pole motors in qty one?
Wes
--
The only thing Obama has fixed is Carter's reputation.

anyone know other good

Try Herbach and Rademan Look at both motors and fans/blowers.
http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=HAR
Dan

Home Depot, lowes, home supply. Most any bathroom fan motor is a shaded pole motor.

Are these the German made blowers/motors like we had on an old pellet stove?
Paul

Hmmm... seems like I remember McMaster Carr having pages of them, but I just looked and didn't find any. How bout that.
However, if you just plug "shaded pole motor" (both with and without quotes), you'll get a lot of returns.
Good hunting!
Erik
Why can it not be repaired? Very few electric motors cannot be repaired and unless the windings are burnt, the repair is both cheaper and faster.This is especially true if you must adapt the drive end as well as the mount. Steve

I tried sending you a note directly but it bounced back - I have a nice, new, motor from a fan assembly, with power cord, and switch - listed on my web site at $20 - if it meets your friends needs that could save him some money
browse around www.wbnoble.com in the forsale section - it's there somewhere (under misc, I think) - or find my email on my web site and drop me a note and I'll send you the info directly
Steve Lusardi wrote:

A lot of shaded pole motors are tack welded or pressed, ie, you can't unscrew them to access the bearings and whatnot. Same thing with washing machine/dryer motors, although some of those you can rebuild due to their size (except for the epoxied ones, those are disposable).
Jon
I've had some luck, blasting them clean with brake cleaner, and then oil them up.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
I've had some luck, blasting them clean with brake cleaner, and then oil them up.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Maybe post here with make and model of stove and blower motor and see what suggestions come: http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewforum/22 / A cross reference and source may have been identified by some other stove owner. North of the 49th we have http://www.alltemp.ca/pdfs/rotom99.pdf Available from motor shops and appliance repair places like Reliable Parts. Most blower motors can be substituted with a similar RPM and amperage rating in a standard frame motor if the OEM didn't use a custom shaft. Fasco should have something, odds are they probably made the original http://www.fasco.com/prodcat.asp I tried a web search for a couple random stock Fasco number and came up with hits available though Amazon.
I've gotten motors at Johnstone Supply, not sure if they are nationwide.
Many times, motors just dry up. The draft inducer motor dried up, on a friend's furnace. She lives alone, unemployed, and has major medical problems. I was able to disassemble the motor. Sand the shaft lightly with some emery cloth. Remove the dried oil with Qtip and some WD-40. Reoil it with Zoom Spout Turbine oil (you may substitute two stroke mixer oil, if you wish). Reassemble, and it works fine.
Please try that, before spending $300.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Second that. I recently disassembled the bathroom ventilators from two bathrooms. The shaded pole motors would run after they got started, but would not start running. The first one I just cleaned and lubricated which did not fix the problem. The second one I added a couple of very thin stainless washers to take the thrust. The motors mount with the shaft vertical. That fixed the starting problem, so I went back and did the same to the first motor.
The motors are reversible shaded pole motors. How could that be, you say. Well they are actually two shaded pole motors on one shaft. Energize one motor and it runs clockwise, energize the other winding and it runs counter clockwise.
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

I had this same conversation with a mate about 20 minutes ago regarding PC fans with sleeve bearings, in my experience shaded pole motors may have sleeve bearings also or the ball bearings and need a bit of lubrication occasionally. In the case of the PC fans it seems to be a matter of removing the makers label, then removing a plastic circlip and O ring retaining the shaft, then pulling the rotor and shaft, cleaning it of gummed up lubricant, and cleaning the oilite bearing, adding a small amount of new quality lubricant, re-assembly, and it's good to go for a few more years.
Part of my 2 yearly PC health check that the fans are going round as they should do.
The PC fans I've done, pull the plastic label and apply a drop or two of oil for electric motors. To dissemble and clean, that's extra service which will likely give you extra life.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Actually, it's quite simple to design a shaded pole motor with two shading windings that can be switched for direction change. Just never seen it commercially.
Mark Rand RTFM
Record players had them. Martin
Mark Rand wrote:

Never taken apart a ceiling fan but have to wonder what kind of motors luck within same...
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 06:30:51 +0000 (UTC), the infamous David Lesher

They're _electric_ David. I beleive they're called drafty pole motors with windy windings. Just thought you'd like to know.
P.S: Translation for the Canuckistanis and Poms: "draughty"
P.P.S: For those of you who still want to know more about the actual motors, Wikipedia has a good article discussing them briefly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceiling_fan ;)
--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance