Bought a USB joypad at a garage sale

Bought a new Saitek P880 joypad at a garage sale ($2).
Looks like this
http://ef.algebra.com/e/220652673897
Ordinarily it would not be metalworking related, but I will put it on my Bridgeport mill.
This guy here posted his configs using the same Saitek joypad on his mill:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?A_New_Approach_For_Using_Joypads_With_EMC2
I also removed and threw out a lot of unused wiring from the mill, it makes the cabinet look a little more user friendly inside. Still some left, going from pendant to the cabinet.
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:47:35 -0500, Ignoramus30661

Trackballs work very very well as a jog controller. Just a heads up....
Gunner
"

I am overjoyed to report, that this joypad is working really well, after some bumbling and stupid mistakes due to not following manuals.
This is much better than just a trackpad. I control X, Y and Z. I also have about 8 buttons that I can program to do whatever I want.
Right now I have two buttons for SPINDLE START and SPINDLE STOP working. In addition, I have a CYCLE PAUSE and CYCLE RESUME buttons already working.
This is really, really tremendous and amazing what I get for $2 on a nice Saturday of August. Just $2 and three hours of typing stuff and I have a nice milling control pad. These devices cost about $10 everywhere else, which is negligible for the value that they bring.
ALL HAIL EMC2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

By the way, I wanted to add CYCLE START, but I changed my mind.
I think that it is too dangerous due to joypad's nature.
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:45:38 -0500, Ignoramus30661
<snip>

========You seem to be making good progress. Nice find on the trackball.
Some quick questions for both you and the group -- have you used the blackplot/simulator function in EMC2 yet? Will this run "stand alone, i.e. no machine/controller card/hardware attached? By any chance have you tried the http://www.cncsimulator.com/ simulator? Any feeling how these compare? When I retired I lost my access to a cnc machine, but still get the urge to program from time to time, and simulators are the next best thing. I currently use cncsimulator and for a free program this works well.
-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Yes, the price is not really a big deal here, what is so nice is the value that this joypad brings.

You mean, EMC's drawnig of the G-code toolpath? Yes, I use it all the time.

If you run ubuntu 10.04, then all you need to type to install this is
GET http://www.linuxcnc.org/lucid/emc2-install-sim.sh | bash
It will install a simulation version of EMC2.

I have not tried it, I do not have a suitable Windows computer.

I do not know if it will work for me, as I know write big (for me) G-code subroutines and I am not sure if this simulator can handle that.
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 00:54:18 -0500, Ignoramus30661

=========Thanks for the feedback. I just downloaded the EMC2/Ubuntu BDI install.
-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
You can set up regular Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit and install EMC2 on top of it
\i

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 00:54:18 -0500, Ignoramus30661
<snip>

<snip> Thanks for the motivation to upgrade to Lucid Lynx.
I have been running a very old version of Ubuntu because every time I upgraded my O/S something stopped working. I installed Lucid Lynx on another drive "just in case." The installation went perfect as did the update downloads/installs, and everything still seems to work including the scanner and webcam.
Had a bit of trouble getting the EMC2 simulator to download, but went directly to the linuxcnc site and examined the Lucid directory. 2 "ls" in install and everything went well.
I am currently programming the cribbage board shown in Smid on the CD with the 2nd edition. There is a large [huge?] number of holes [366] required for the pegs, and your comments on programming motivated me to see what I could do to automate some of the cnc program writing. I was successful. If you will send me a valid email address I'll send what I have gotten so far as a zipped email attachment [holes spot drilled/chamfered, and drilled] along with the source and executables to extract/format the data. CNCSimulator has a fair cnc editor with [re]number, but it does not like sub programs.
-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Lucid is pretty good, as Ubuntu releases go, it is very nicely done.

I highly recommend, if possible, to use their repository, that way you get automatic updates.

No better use for CNC than to drill 366 holes.
ichudov AT algebra DOT com, but sending zips is a tossup due to spam software. If you send me a zip, follow up with a plain text email saying that you sent me a zip, I will look for it in spam folders too.
EMC2 has canned cycles for drilling, drilling with dwell etc.

Got a backup in the desk drawer yet? - getting used to all of the neat controls.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 8/15/2010 12:49 AM, F. George McDuffee wrote:

Here are the instructions "for dummies" on how to install this joypad with EMC.
If I had this instruction when I started, it would take me much faster to set it up.
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Bridgeport-Series-II-Interact-2-CNC-Mill/26-Setting-Up-Saitek-P880-Joypad-with-EMC2/

Thanks, Ig. I'm following your every move. Good stuff.
LLoyd
On 2010-08-15, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

Lloyd, it is amazing what one can do with EMC2. To say that I am happy, would be to say nothing.
Ignoramus30661 wrote:

All hail inexpensive PC based CNC control!!! :)
EMC2 and Mach3 are both derived from the original EMC and both have about the same capabilities, just running on different OSes. There are a few others out there, but they are fading away a bit due to EMC2 and Mach3.

But only EMC2 is free as in freedom.
Ignoramus7071 wrote:

I'm sorry to say that you are incorrect there. Beyond the silly idea of trying to equate the use of a programmer or programmers labor products without payment with "freedom", it isn't true in this case either since the core EMC software that EMC2 is based on was developed by NIST, a government institution funded by our tax dollars, so you did indeed pay for EMC/EMC2, just not directly.

Pete, there are two meanings to the word free, one is free as in free beer, and another is free as in freedom. The latter sense means that I can see, modify, and redistribute the source code on original terms. This is what EMC is, free as in freedom, with me being free to modify it or give it to friends.
Ignoramus7071 wrote:

Mach3 also has the flexibility to allow you to modify it such as custom screens, G/M codes, scripting for special functions such as ATC control etc. You also have the "freedom" to redistribute those custom portions you develop, either "free" or commercially to other Mach3 users, the other users just need their own inexpensive base Mach3 license.

That's nice.
But, can you look at the source code of Mach3?