Bought a USB joypad at a garage sale

Yes, good point. I have no clue what sort of equipment shaeprns end mills, or how their ends (square, ball) are resharpened.

Me... I'm saving up for a Darex.
LLoyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Harbor Freight has / had a decent looking cutter grinder, but I can't seem to find it on their new web site. That doesn't necessarily mean they no longer carry it.

Item #46727
Ignoramus28874 wrote:

Nope, that's not it. That's just a tool bit grinder, not a universal cutter grinder. The one HF had was ~$750 or so regular price (add your 20% coupon of course). The grinders that handle rotary cutters like end mills are a *lot* more complex than grinders that handle lathe bits and the like.
"Pete C." wrote:

I found it in an older catalog, it was item 45707 "Universal cutter grinder" for $649.99
On 2010-08-16, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

Darex what? Like this one?
http://www.darex.com/industrial-drill-bit-sharpeners-and-grinders/e90-end-mill-grinder-and-sharpener.html
I am just trying to understand the basics of it, so if I come across something at an auction, I will know what to look for.
in

Yep. That's it. It has an air bearing spindle that allows a bit to follow a "tracer finger" so the flutes are re-ground precisely. Of course, it will reduce the diameter of the bit, but quite reliably and accurately.
The Darex is sort of the "Cadillac" of end mill sharpeners. I find them used, but in good condition, on Ebay for about $1400.
LLoyd
On 2010-08-16, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

That's pricey, makes regrinding not economical on my scale. And the Darex probably does not do ball ends, or even plunge cutting square ends, right?

My understanding is that it will do every profile.
It's pricey, yes, but you can find them cheaper if you get lucky.
LLoyd
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:51:31 -0500, Ignoramus28874

This will work for you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/END-MILL-SHARPENER-NEW-FIXTURE-/230498705271
http://cgi.ebay.com/END-MILL-GRINDING-FIXTURE-/190430776541
Then there are....
http://cgi.ebay.com/CUTTERMASTER-UNIVERSAL-TOOL-CUTTER-ENDMILL-GRINDER-/310226012593 (Id offer no more than $1000)
http://cgi.ebay.com/DAREX-E-85-ENDMILL-SHARPENER-END-MILL-GRINDER-/330460740613
http://cgi.ebay.com/KO-LEE-tool-cutter-grinder-machine-mill-milling-WOW-/360254152165
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cincinnati-1-Universal-Tool-Cutter-Grinder-/310230155606
"

Sigh... Worn, old, no collets, need new stones, none likely to have the precision they were originally built with.
Y'know... when I go to sharpen an end mill, I want it to be "factory new", except for the diameter, when it comes out of the machine.
What I don't want to do is spend yet another year re-building another piece of old junk. I really want to spend my time machining parts.
I've used a Cincy... too much learnin' to do to make an even passable job. It's WAY too complex for the "casual sharpener".
I've used a Cutter Master... it's about the same functionally as the Darex, but WAY more expensive for one in the same condition.
The Darex E90 can be had in "almost new" condition for about 1/4 what a similar-condition Cutter Master can. And despite it's "low end" status in your book, the Darex offers the same precision and longevity for a lot less money.
And Gunner... the first two "almost kits" you listed... what's that for? You can't sharpen _anything_ on them 'til you build the rest of the machine. It takes a bed. It takes a motor, it takes a cup stone, it...
takes some really long "building up" to get where I'd want to be with a milling cutter grinder. Some people work, and some people only do machining in their "spare" time.
LLoyd
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:48:13 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

True indeed. But..does he need that precision?

Good on you. And one has to spend a bit of money to get that result, or find work arounds to get "almost as good"

Indeed.
Odd..Ive a B300 KO Lee..and it took me a couple hours to learn to use it. Included a bunch of accessories like a Harig Air Glide endmill sharpener etc etc etc. 5c motor driven gizmo, indexing head etc etc.
Like Iggy..Ive sources that others here dont have. Mine cost me a service call. Hummm $186 traded for the grinder. I thought it was a marvelous trade.

Indeed. However its not aluminum either.

The prices I showed were all within $200 of a used Darex. Or did I miss something? And the prices were simply part of the ads for things Iggy should be looking for. Im sure he can beat Ebay prices by a magnitude.

It takes a surface grinder. Period. Iggy doesnt have one? Hell..he can find them for $50 or less. Cup wheel and voila..he has a $200 tool and cutter grinder that will do just hunky. Even a worn out surface grinder will work fine with one of the fixtures I cited. As long as that cup wheel spins....its good enough.
And a hell of a lot cheaper than a used aluminum Darex. Remember..I own a Darex. It worked ok. But..only "ok" and I didnt spend $1200 for it either.
But there are all sorts of Better options within his grasp. He is quite good at finding Stuff and at damned good prices. I showed him what was available and what to look for.

Indeed. However..I presented the info for Iggy..who has a lock on finding surplus machinery in his area. In fact...several of the cites I presented were intentionally from Chicago area.
I respect your opinion deeply. But I presented the info for Iggy, who has resources others here do not have.
Gunner
"

If I do not have that precision, it will not cut as well, I thought.

I will keep looking patiently. Far and wide.
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:05:00 -0500, Ignoramus28874

Grinding an endmill can be done "perfectly"..or "not half bad!" and the precision is vastly different when measured. Just a heads up....dull does not mean no precision and Precise does not necessarily mean sharp...

I have confidence in a Fellow Scounger of your caliber. Indeed!
Gunner
"
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:27:41 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Darex is the low end of end mill sharpeners. Seriously. Cuttermaster (which Darex copied), Harig, KO Lee and others are the middle of the road. http://cgi.ebay.com/CUTTERMASTER-UNIVERSAL-TOOL-CUTTER-ENDMILL-GRINDER-/310226012593
http://cgi.ebay.com/Harig-Airflow-Fixture-endmills-and-milling-cutters-/110568230580
http://cgi.ebay.com/Harig-Airflow-End-Mill-Sharpening-Fixture-/130413731860 (no accesories)
http://cgi.ebay.com/WELDON-AIR-BEARING-ENDMILL-TOOL-SHARPENER-GRINDING-/280505039209
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kuhlmann-SU2-Endmill-Drill-Bit-Grinder-SO-Very-Good-/370310636848
However.,.that does not mean the Darex wont do a perfectly good job. I have one somewhere...I think its still in my cargo container. Ill have to dig it out next trip to LA and offer it up here.
Gunner
"
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 07:55:50 -0500, Ignoramus28874

=========How much do you want to spend? Given that you like to "roll your own"
For small volume see http://www.lautard.com/tinker.htm and http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/Tinker.html http://www.duncanamps.com/metal/projects/quorn/index.php (Amazon.com product link shortened)
new store bought complete http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200414732_200414732?cm_ven=Aggregates&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Power%20Tools%3EGrinders%20%2B%20Stands&cm_iteB6245?ci_src110944&ci_skuB6245
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hG5vDfLxmI
http://images.harborfreight.com/manuals/45000-45999/45707.pdf
-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 07:55:50 -0500, Ignoramus28874

KO Lee B300 with the proper setup or Darex E90 endmill sharpener. The Darex will fit on a table top. The B300 is bigger, but not that big, however it does require about a 36"x36" bit of floor space.
You have a surface grinder? Then there are a host of other fixtures for shapening endmills.
Gunner
"

Wes, I agree 100% and I will disable spindle on.

Here's another type of jogging pad that you might want to consider:
http://www.tormach.com/document_library/DS30616_JogShuttleController.pdf
It's based on a standard game pad controller, but has been marked by Tormach for the axis and step functions. In Tormach's implementation for a Mach3 controller, clicking on one of the axis keys selects that axis. Rotating the outer ring moves the axis continuously in the + or - direction with the jog speed increasing the more the ring is rotated. The ring is spring loaded so it snaps back to position once relased. The inner disk with the finger depression moves the axis in increments of 0.0001" to 0.1". The Step keys toggles up and down the range of increments. It works pretty slick on my Tormach. You can probably find the generic OEM version cheaper, but I like having the functions labeled.