Where do you source 35 Amp 220VAC circuit breakers that are NOT in typical box stores?

Where do you source circuit breakers that are NOT in typical box stores? o Carling AA3-B0-24-635-5D1-C (do you have a decoder for that number?)
PG&E has currently cut the power to us in California where this is the 31st sustained power outage in three years (of more than a day each, generally), so my generator has been doing triple duty as the backup source of power.
Over time, this 35 amp ganged circuit breaker partially broke inside. <
https://i.postimg.cc/ryNkQQvY/breaker03.jpg

It has "Carling Switch" molded on one side: <
https://i.postimg.cc/G37D8Jq6/breaker01.jpg

And this barely readable paper label on the other side: <
https://i.postimg.cc/vmTTdpdB/breaker02.jpg

The best I can make out from that data are these specs: Carling Switch Inc. AA2-B0-24-635-5D1-C FL AMP 35 MAX VOLTS 227 (? hard to tell) HERTZ 50/60 DELAY 04 (? hard to tell) TRIP AMPS 43 (? hard to tell) Mexico 9513 (probably the 13th week in 1995, likely original)
I called Generac's 24/7 live hotline, but they can't give me any more information than the owners manual, parts diagram, and references 888-GENERAC (888-436-3722) extension 4, extension 2 1-262-544-4811 extension 1, extension 2, extension 4, extension 2
This is the relevant page out of that Generac Owners Manual they sent me: <
https://i.postimg.cc/qq326cBh/Generac-Control-Panel-9067-9-16345-Page-19.jpg
o #5, Generac Part Number #74969, 35 Amp Circuit Breaker
Generac suggests these two outfits, who seem to charge astronomical prices: o $137.07 <https://www.jackssmallengines.com/ <https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/generac-engine-part/g074969 o $233.45 <https://www.ordertree.com/ (877) 500-7499 x1 <https://www.ordertree.com/catalog/product/view/id/2072452/s/circt-brk-35-x-2-carling-2/
Hence, the basic question of how you source basic electrical parts.
--
Purposefully unhelpful posts from the usual trolls will be ignored.
(i.e., if there is no response to your post - that means you're a troll)

The government should make it a law the companies have to sell to individuals the repair parts and service manuals if they have them.
Years ago I was with a friend at a boat warehouse picking up some parts. A man wanted to buy a simple part,but they would not sell it to him as he was not a dealer. We bought the part for the man and sold it to him at our cost when he met us outside the warehouse. Most places would have doubled the price to him.
What really hirts is if a big company buys lots of items at high dollars and the manufactor goes out of busniness and they will not give or sell you a manual on the equipment when you buy it.
On 10/27/2019 6:29 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I think Team Amazon is teaching all those "wholesale only" assholes a painful lesson.
On 10/27/19 4:08 PM, Arlen _G_ Holder wrote:

Captain Video decoder wheel: <https://www.carlingtech.com/sites/default/files/documents/Carling-HM-CB-A-Series.pdf
Page 37
--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
On 10/27/19 5:08 PM, Arlen _G_ Holder wrote:

Have you tried any of Carlings distributors in CA ?
https://www.carlingtech.com/findarep?location $3
Part # decoder is on page 5 of https://www.carlingtech.com/sites/default/files/documents/Carling-HM-CB-A-Series.pdf
https://www.onlinecomponents.com/carling-technologies/aa2b0246355d1c-16957461.html says they have 3 in stock in AZ

Arlen-
Take the old breaker into an Ace Hardware Store. You want something that has the same mounting and terminals, rated for 35 Amps and at least 240 Volts.
The 43 "TRIP" Amps would be nice, but is not the most important parameter. Hopefully you do not normally run the generator close to its limit.
I would not be surprised if Ace had the exact breaker for around $25.
Fred
Please ... go to HD, get a Square D breaker and rig it up. Duct tape if you have to <G>
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-QO-35-Amp-2-Pole-Circuit-Breaker-QO235CP/202495818
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 19:13:27 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

Thanks Clare for that purposefully helpful lookup, where I may have made an inadvertent typo at some point, as it's AA2 (2 pole), not AA3 (3 pole): o AA2-B0-24-635-5D1-C <
https://i.postimg.cc/vmTTdpdB/breaker02.jpg
<
https://i.postimg.cc/T2FMp20V/breaker05.jpg
Mouser doesn't stock this part, but they do have a decent datasheet: <https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/65/A-Series_Details__26_COS_030314-345780.pdf
I will need to call Mouser during business hours for price & availability: o (800) 346-6873, (817) 804-3888
Unfortunately, Newark also says "Not Normally Stocked": <https://www.newark.com/carling-technologies/aa2-b0-24-635-5d1-c/a-series-circuit-breaker-rohs/dp/88H2049?ost 2-B0-24-635-5D1-C>
But at least they list a price, where, the going "fair" rate is about $100 o $ 92.45 onlinecomponents.com o $ 95.53 newark.com o $137.07 jackssmallengines.com o $233.45 ordertree.com
The question is mainly HOW do you guys get hard-to-find electrical parts.
BTW, the smoke is everywhere easily smelled, strongly in the air, with that classic wood burning smell, where the most recent time this happened was the Paradise Fire, where the smoke traveled hundreds of miles to blanket the Silicon Valley as this smoke is just now starting to do today with the picking up of the wind in the past few hours.
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 19:17:54 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd wrote:

Thanks for that purposefully helpful advice on considering this breaker: o Square D QOB235 2 Pole Circuit Breaker <https://www.superbreakers.net/2-pole-circuit-breakers/square-d-qob235-35-amp
It would be nice if the circuit breaker fits reasonably well in the front: <
https://i.postimg.cc/63Z0x60t/generac-circuit-breaker-panel.jpg

Where, in the rear, it's less important how things bolt together: <
https://i.postimg.cc/ryNkQQvY/breaker03.jpg
Where the Carling uses four 10-32 terminal bolts (lug type).
I thank you for not trolling, since it takes zero energy for the trolls to troll while you went to the trouble to find a decent fit, where what I'll do is trace out a paper cutout on the generator and take it with me to Home Depot or Ace to see if the $30 "Square D QOB235 2 Pole Circuit Breaker" can be retrofitted into that front panel hole.
Thanks for spending energy to bring items of value to the Usenet potluck.
--
For Jeff Liebermann and anyone interested, the smell of fire is all over
Silicon Valley tonight, which the winds brougth suddenly, where a pall
On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 08:53:54 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

This thread is about how to source hard-to-find electrical parts.
Given results below, the summary is things "can" be sourced. o But there must be a better way to source hard-to-find parts. For those times you want the part in your hand today.
While converting to a different part, particularly from a part that clearly failed prior to its 10,000 cycle rating, often works, and, I've often Rube Goldberg'd myself, given this is an electrical component attached to the mains, and given it has to be "to code", and given that it can kick in when I'm not home, my FIRST CHOICE (for the minor price difference of $30 for a different part & $100 for the right part anyway), is to try to source the correct part that has bolt holes in it, rather than an alternative that doesn't fit the weathertight outdoor generator enclosure attached to a huge source of propane: <
https://i.postimg.cc/63Z0x60t/generac-circuit-breaker-panel.jpg

Anyway, this thread is really not about the part per se, but how to SOURCE hard-to-find electrical parts, which is more of a TECHNIQUE than anything else.
On technique, I learned a lot about phone calls in the past few hours...
a. Part: Carling AA2-B0-24-635-5D1-C 35-amp circuit breaker b. Carling: https://www.carlingtech.com/findarep?location $3 c. Carling suggests the long list of distributors (alphabetically) d. Bridge: 408-335-6700 (you need to pick a person & leave a msg) e. Avnet: 408-435-3500 (4-5 weeks lead time, $86.42) f. Bates: 408-400-9586 (the number has been disconnected) g. Digikey: 800-344-4539 (global sales only, min quantity is 20 parts) h. Master: 408-970-8090 (not in stock locally, two weeks, $92.45) i. Mouser: 817-804-3888 (not in stock, can send quote) j. Newark: 800-463-9275 (not in stock, minimum order is 2) k. Sager: 408-544-9500 (not in stock locally, can be ordered, $71.48) l. TTI: 510-668-0830 (not in stock, can only order in bulk) That's for the (mostly) local Carling so-called "distributors".
Now we get to local electrical parts suppliers... m. AlexanderElec: 831-457-3911 (left message) n. BayPower: 408-998-2980 (they don't stock, and can't order) o. CupertinoElec: 408-808-8000 (don't deal with individuals) p. Eckerman: 831-252-0987 (doesn't have any resource I don't have) q. EdgesElec: 408-293-5818 (don't stock, don't order) r. NicoElec: 408-446-4141 (left message) s. Pfeiffer: 408-436-8523 (they don't do residential) t. SprigElec: 408-298-3134 (transferred to sales, left message)
Where we already knew, from Generac, of these online sites: u. onlinecomponents.com $ 92.45 (stock situation unknown) v. jackssmallengines.com $137.07 (stock situation unknown) w. ordertree.com $233.45 (stock situation unknown)
And, of course, there is always the Internet: x. Amazon <(Amazon.com product link shortened)> y. FusesUnlimited <https://www.fusesunlimited.com/circuit-protection-detail/carling/aa2-b0-24-635-5d1-c z. Walmart <https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carling-Technologies-AA2-B0-24-635-5D1-C-Circuit-Breaker/213199082
Given those results, the summary is things "can" be sourced. o But there must be a better way to source hard-to-find parts. For those times you want the part in your hand today.
--
BTW, PG&E says there will be "another" outage on Tuesday 10/29, which, is
odd, because we're still in the first outage from Saturday... and, get
On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 14:56:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The generator has been running for 3 days now, where it quit sans warning earlier today, where a check of the 12VDC car battery showed it was down to 6 volts, so, obviously, the charging circuit wasn't working (there's a lot of corrosion on the battery terminals, but it starts up the generator just fine when it's at 12VDC).
I know the battery was fully charged as PG&E had given us a day's notice, so I had charged it for that day until the power went out 3 days ago.
The 8KWH generator has been burning propane at about 50 gallons a day (near as I can tell from the gauge on the propane tank, which isn't all that easy to read accurately), and where I used a jumper cable from a nearby vehicle to debug that it was the battery and then, once debugged, I swapped in a second car battery to keep the electricity going today (and put the dead battery on a charger): <
https://i.postimg.cc/c1Q5NF6n/generac-battery-charge.jpg
Looking inside each of the two transfer panels, one for each half of the house, they seem to be listed as 100 Amp service each based on this wording on the outside of the Generac part number <
https://i.postimg.cc/MKnVYxgH/transfer13.jpg
<
https://i.postimg.cc/V6L4ZxZw/transfer07.jpg

Where there are 4 fuses in each of those two panels, all of which are supposed to be the "uniquely sized" 600 Volt 2 Amp Buss SBS-2 fast acting fuses, where it currently has 4 and 5 amp Buss BBS-4 and Buss BBS-5 600 Volt fast acting fuses (which came with the transfer panel when I bought it) but where the 2AMP SBS-2 fuses have a similar (but not as bad) sourcing problem as does the circuit breaker. <
https://i.postimg.cc/TYq0GY8x/transfer03.jpg

This is, I think, OEM but based only on Ebay listings, which may be wrong: o <
https://i.postimg.cc/MGb704vW/buss-sbs-2-600-V-fast-acting-fuse.jpg
This is original that the electrician originally put in the transfer panel: o <
https://i.postimg.cc/bNPYzVgc/bussmanfuses01.jpg
The house is 200 Amp service, where my understanding is that each half of the setup handles 100 Amps, but where I'm not sure why the original electrician put in 4amp and 5amp fuses when online, I see pictures of all sorts of sizes, but some of them are 2Amp fuses, so it's hard to tell what's the correct fuse amperage. <
https://i.postimg.cc/N0wQX4Jm/transfer02.jpg

I don't see anything else inside the transfer panel that is fused. <
https://i.postimg.cc/Hx4VqSLt/Generac-Transfer-Switch-Exploded-Diagram-9067-9-16345-Page-18.jpg
<
https://i.postimg.cc/1XFTVs7N/Generac-Transfer-Switch-Wiring-Diagram-9067-9-16345-Page-15.jpg

Although the generator has the 35-amp circuit breaker & a fuse: <
https://i.postimg.cc/wMg9DggX/Generac-Generator-Wiriing-Diagram-9067-9-16345-Page-14.jpg
Which is a typical 15-amp fuse shown in item #10 below: <
https://i.postimg.cc/qq326cBh/Generac-Control-Panel-9067-9-16345-Page-19.jpg

--
Usenet is a great resource for homeowners with electrical problems to fix!

On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 04:47:14 -0000 (UTC), Arlen _G_ Holder

If the voltage on the battery is less than around 14v the charging circuit is not working. You could just plug in a regular charger to piss on the fire (so to speak),.
On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 15:42:59 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

Hi Clare,
You have a good memory, but, not quite good enough :) (I say that in good humor, as you do have a good memory, as do I on such things.)
Fact is, it's not that simple, where the problem is always in DEBUGGING. <
https://i.postimg.cc/V6L4ZxZw/transfer07.jpg

Last time, I thought the problem was the relays, which, you'll see in this picture, were each labeled and then swapped (since the two 100Amp transfer panels are duplicates), and yet, they failed the same both ways. <
https://i.postimg.cc/kgm2pFDw/generac-transfer-panel-solenoid.jpg

We also didn't know if the problem was in the actual transfer solenoid, which, I must add, for one, I had to manually flip it, even this time, but with some things broken, I'm not sure if that's a first order or second order effect.
Thirdly, there were two fuses missing, where I replaced those two fuses in the interim.
And, fourthly, while I'm sure there is a testing sequence, you never really get to test these things under real world circumstances until power goes out.
Luckily, out here, in California, we don't have to wait long for THAT to happen, now do we?
In short, it wasn't until I did all that and the power went out, that I realized it was something else, which is when I finally took the breaker out and realized it was half broken (it doesn't LOOK bad from the outside, but it's bad in the inside).
Who knew? Not me. Until recently.
And, I only found out today, after three days running on propane, that the battery was at 6volts, where who knows WHY the battery isn't charging when the generator is running... <
https://i.postimg.cc/c1Q5NF6n/generac-battery-charge.jpg

Luckily, Rube Goldberg borrowed a car, to jump the generator, and then another battery to use to run the generator, and then with the power in the house, I'm charging the original battery that has been on the generator for the past 3 days due to the PG&E mismanagement outage.

So plug a battery charger into the generator and hook it across the battery..
On 12/16/19 11:30 AM, David Lesher wrote:

If only there was a detailed guide available on the net.
writes:

Could be a bad, overcharged battery with greyed out cells, which are failed cells.
One way to get better longevity and lower maintenance is to replace that lead pig with a LiFePo. Quite expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Like LED light bulbs, the cost is amortized over the savings in longevity, in personal time and reduced lead exposure to yourself and the environment (for the battery).
It is like OLED TVs. Better costs more. LiFePo batteries are not more expensive to manufacture, they are like Donald J. Trump, and his psychological manipulations. They saw a lightweight product that does the same as this nasty, old, acid filled shitbox, and they knew that a jacked up price point would be met by demand. He played on the stupid half of America and fooled them all, and even some of the smart side doesn't see his bullshit.
They will always be overpriced and their makers will enjoy a higher ROI as a result.
BUT that is what you 'want' or 'need' to be able to relax. Unlike America and Trump. We need never put a joker like that in power again. But I digress... again.
Also, the charging of said battery is a low current affair, so the device keeping it topped off is less of a tax on your generator system.
On 12/17/19 9:39 AM, snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote:

Since you brought politics into this discussion...
In another 5 years, maybe Ilhan Omar and Ocasio-Kotex will be through puberty and will be old enough to run for President.
If you are a taxpayer, Ilhan Omar wants you to buy a house for lazy welfare democrats
https://omar.house.gov/media/press-releases/rep-ilhan-omar-introduces-homes-all-act-new-21st-century-public-housing-vision
and Ocasio-Kotex wants you to pay for her Green New Deal.
In the interim, Pocahontas wants to take the Medicare I've been funding for 40 years and give that to lazy welfare people as well.
To add insult to injury, I can't even claim the democrats as dependants on my federal income tax.
The democrat's mantra is to take from working people and give to lazy people.
On 12/17/19 10:21 AM, devnull wrote:

Where to you buy your Koolaid from?
--
"I am a river to my people."