Name this connector

I need to order this connector. I'm sure its in Digikey, SOMEPLACE

Its a 9 pin bullet type with plastic sleeves. Three of them "D" shaped to key it so it won't go in wrong.

Names, how to search for it? Extra bonus if you can find it on the digikey website.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Molex (Tyco) mate-n-lok maybe.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Ned Simmons fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yep, standard Molex.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Something on this page?

(sorry a long link... searched Digikey for molex, rectangular, 9 pins in three rows.)

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com fired this volley in news:946a60d1-2b71-4c7e-a197- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Probably this one:

Remember, you have to check the center-to-center spacing on the pins. They make several different sizes.

Also, you have to order the male and female pins separately; they're not part of the connector housing, which is all that's shown there.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yep, I think this is the shell. Last time I got three foot of wire plus a sheath plus all of the connectors all mounted. that is, everything you see in the pic.

I'd much rather go this route, bet there is some special crimp tool I'd have to buy other wise.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Let's call it Dennis.

Mikek :-)

Reply to
amdx

Karl Townsend fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You can buy one, but a standard "GC" style electrical ferrule crimper will work fine.

You're going to search a bit to find just the shell you need with pins and wires already installed. It's a custom item.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

9 pin Molex interconnect - .093 pin size - gender= female

Radio Shack - Catalog #: 274-239 for the female version $2.99

Radio Shack - Catalog #: 274-229 for the male version $2.99

Reply to
Steve W.

Mate-n-lock is a trademark of AMP, not Molex. The connectors are VERY similar, but not interchangeable. One version of Mate-n-lock has D-shaped plastic surrounding some of the pins, making it impossible to plug in wrong. Your photos seem to show this style. But, if it is automotive, it may be totally custom and not compatible with standard units.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Do you have Pep Boys auto parts stores near you? They have a decent selection of premade wiring pigtails in their trailer wiring section. Might be able to browse and order online, so you could match your connector to their pictures.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Ned Simm> >

Mate-n-lock is a trademark of AMP, not Molex. The connectors are VERY similar, but not interchangeable. One version of Mate-n-lock has D-shaped plastic surrounding some of the pins, making it impossible to plug in wrong. Your photos seem to show this style. But, if it is automotive, it may be totally custom and not compatible with standard units.

Jon

Reply to
Carl Ijames

That looks like an automotive style of connector, Karl. The motor on the end looks like either a wiper or window motor/transmichigan. I think I've seen those on Fords before, but it has been a while. NO idea what they're called. Try a local body shop or Ford dealer. They have to stock all sorts of clips and connectors for repair work.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, there it is! 30+ y/o foggy memories are clearing.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Make sure you have a proper pin removal tool if you have to try to save the original pins/wiring. MAC/Matco/Snap-On/Cornwell tool trucks all have them in stock, or used to.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Does it have to be Digikey? I've been getting connectors from Mouser a lot recently.

The connectors in question are made/sold by AMP/Tyco (which now also owns Molex). Hmm ... Now called "TE-Connectivity/AMP". :-)

"Bullet type" doesn't describe that in an way I would consider.

There are three sizes which fit that description, one large with higher current pins.

The larger size is called "Universal Mate-N-Lock" and the smaller two "(Mini and Micro) Mate-N-Lock". I think that yours is the "Uniiversal" size based on the photo (which could have benefited from a lot less of the cable, and a lot closer to the connector. It is a good thing that I recognized the series. :-)

Mouser's number for the male one is "571-7700211 " and the "TE Connectivity/AMP" number is "770021-1".

Mouser has it priced as $1.35 per connector in unit quantities, or down to $1.10 in 50 quantities. (And, they don't have a minimum order.

Here is a web page with the whole series listed, including the pins mentioned below. There are various mounting styles, so go through there. I suspect that you want the "free hanging" or "Panel Mount, Free Hanging" styles.

The first pins shown are $0.14 each, or $0.10 in 100s. Beware to check how many are in stock -- some are "you have to wait for some to arrive -- we don't stock them". :-)

BTW -- you will also need to order pins for it, and a crimp tool for "type-F" crimp pins (at least it isn't the machined pins which get you into serious money for the crimper and its positioner bushing. :-)

The crimp pins are available for 30 through 16 Gauge.

And -- you will also want a special tool for extracting the pins if you put them in the wrong holes or need to change it somehow else.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks, everybody, for all the advice.

This connector with cables came with my electric sprayer control module I installed in the John Deere in 1998. I could see it needed durability improvement so i made a real neat hollowed out steel sleeve for the plug and a matching tube socket for the plug in. After only 16 years, it has wore out.

The pic is of my electric spout turner for the snowblower. As its installed only once a year, I didn't make up another steel sleeve. I don't remember where I got it but this connector has all the pins, wire, and cable assembled. Anyway, made way better than I would be able to do.

ANYWAY, after wasting a bunch of time searching for this, I got a better idea:

I'll move up to the 7 conductor plug and plug in used on my 24,000 lb. trailer. My truck had this wear out and etrailer.com has a real quality unit:

I'm sure finding a trailer plug with wire will be a piece of cake.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Oh, just send it to me for soldering!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tom Gardner fired this volley in news:YI- dnUbe76S_OxXOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yeah... I should've said that. You CAN solder those connectors, but you must trim or fold the crimp ears, or the pins won't fit into the shells. BTDT many, many times.

I personally prefer them soldered, but there's some technique to it. You can't just tin the end of a stranded wire 'solid', and expect it to hold up. You must tin and solder the merest 'tip' of a stranded bundle, if you expect it to stand up to any vibration at all. Most specs won't permit soldering crimp connectors on stranded wire because most techs screw it up so badly.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Den 29-05-2014 19:11, Karl Townsend skrev:

We do have 'a ton' of those at work, we even sell those. Never bothered to look who is the supplier......

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

Many years ago I soldered many, many Molex connectors...I think those days are past, I had issues with a couple of DE-9's recently.

Reply to
Tom Gardner