Gotta get me one of these!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Regards,

Kim, Its that good I thought the first of April had come 2 days early. The bit that looks too good to me is multi-part items being copied assembled but still moving against each other. I do hope that is genuine though!!

Reply to
Dave Croft

> Regards,

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

>> Regards,

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

3D scanning and printing has been around for a long time. What I'd not heard about before was the use of soluble parts so that mechanisms can be made pre-assembled - I suppose that's useful for prototyping, although obviously you'd still need to take the thing to bits in order to make moulds and cast parts up in something stronger to be anything other than a working model.

Google up 3D scanning, 3D printing and rapid prototyping for all you need to know :-)

Also, if you want to make your own system, have a look at

- and once you've built one, you can use it to build ones for other people ;-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

3D is getting easier and easier these days. We've made some interesting bits over here in Wales. If I have time by September (Lincoln) or maybe December (Caldicot), I'm hoping for a steampunk photo booth that scans faces and engraves cameos.

Reprap is bollocks. They never show up when they promise to and the whole concept of the machine is a pointless gimmick. _WHY_ should I make parts for my machine badly by deposition when I can make them well and easily by drilling a couple of holes in a piece of plywood? The idea of "cheap fabs for the masses" is great, but there's no reason at all why those fabs should be made by fabbing. A Makerbot (same tech, better mechanics) is a far better plan.

Have you seen the Newport Ship model? 1:10 scale replica of the timbers, digitized with an arm prodder and then fabbed up at Cardiff Uni.

Reply to
Andy Dingley