3-D prototyping printer?

I remember seeing a web page describing a process that deposited (sprayed?) material (plastic?) to build up a CAD design so that in the end you have a

3-D prototype of your design.

Basically, a CNC machine that adds material, not takes it away.

Can someone point me to a web reference of this type of machine?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
DaveC

There are MANY different such machines, and they produce imperfect parts with different characteristics.

Basic methods are--

SLA - stereolithography, where a laser polymerizes a liquid and it emerges from a bath of liquid like the creature from the black lagoon

FDM - fused deposition modelling- sort of an automated glue gun lays down layers. Eg. Stratsys.

LOM - laminated object manufacturing- a roll of plastic is cut with an automated knife to create layers of the end product

SLS - Selective laser sintering (of powder). This has been combined with inkjet color printing to produce colorful 3-D object. Metal powder is possible.

Google for "Rapid Prototyping" and you'll find more info, machines, service bureaus etc.

Part finish and material bulk characteristics are rather inferior to solid material in every sense (strength, porosity etc.) and it's possible to make structures that are not machinable and not injection moldable (eg. with complex internal voids etc.).

If you don't mind doing a bit of work afterward (polishing, drilling, filing, painting etc) you can get a fairly good idea of what an injection molded part will look like before spending the money for a mold-- even demonstrate functional prototypes at trade shows etc. Ideal for 'industrial engineers' interested in cool sculptured shapes etc.

I'm currently using several different methods (through service bureaus) to create small quantities of plastic and metal parts for high tech applications. I do the modelling in Solidworks, output an STL file, send it off, and parts arrive by courier in a bit.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

--Ifyawanna roll your own there are several open-source stereolith projects in the wild. Check out reprap.org for one and there's another over at makezine.com

Reply to
steamer

Ah. Google is so much more efficient when you have the right terminology :-) Thanks, SP!

Reply to
DaveC

You often don't need to go through the finishing steps if all you want to do is fit checks or ergonomic studies.

I've seen the FDM stuff done in wax, and thought it'd be great way to do one-off metal parts if you could just use it as the wax for investment casting.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

One particular project I find really exciting (on my list of things to do, when all the current projects are finally completed) is reprap.org

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Tim Wescott wrote, On 11/3/2009 3:45 PM:

It is already available. The model along with gates, sprue, and vents are made using an SLS or a ThermoJet rapid prototyping machine.

Reply to
Paul O

Tim Wescott wrote, On 11/3/2009 3:45 PM:

It is already available. The model along with gates, sprue, and vents are made using an SLS or a ThermoJet rapid prototyping machine.

Reply to
Paul O

You could join this yahoo group... diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication /mark

Reply to
Mark F

At the other end of the spectrum from DIY home stereolithography,

Space explorers have yet to get their hands on the replicator of "Star Trek" to create anything they might require. But NASA has developed a technology that could enable lunar colonists to carry out on-site manufacturing on the moon, or allow future astronauts to create critical spare parts during the long trip to Mars.

The method, called electron beam freeform fabrication (EBF3), uses an electron beam to melt metals and build objects layer by layer. Such an approach already promises to cut manufacturing costs for the aerospace industry, and could pioneer development of new materials. It has also thrilled astronauts on the International Space Station by dangling the possibility of designing new tools or objects, researchers said.

Reply to
cavelamb

the 3D PRINER WAS INSPIRED TO CHINESE GODS,BY CORTEZ

Reply to
Paul_AtreidestheMuadib

To choose the best method,look for methods with same synchretic backgrounds

Reply to
Paul_AtreidestheMuadib

Jay Leno discusses a system.

amdx

"amdx" wrote in news:53f20$4b32d8ad$18ec6dd7$ snipped-for-privacy@KNOLOGY.NET:

You can also build your own:

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Red Eye does stuff like that

Here's a full size turboprop engine model

Bob S

Reply to
Bob Summers

if your in the UK this months model engineers workshop has an article on the machine. Bri

Reply to
donkey1

Here's another article:

Mark Thorson