Dimension 3D Printer, I am not using it much...

Just before the end of the year, we purchased a Dimension 3D printer (SST) to prototype small parts. But it doesn't seem we are using it enough, it sits idle most of the time, for weeks at a time in fact, and I think we could be making up for some of the cost of this machine ($35,000+) by selling models by the cubic in. Its ABS plastic and we are a lot cheaper than what you see when using Print 3D from the SolidWorks File-Print menu. I priced a 2.25 cu. in model and it was $250, where as I we could do the same part for $50 a cu. in. (your cost). Get a hold of me if you're interested, I am ready start using this printer again. Contact me with any questions.

Build Size: Maximum size 203 x 203 x 305 mm (8 x 8 x 12 inches)

Layer Thickness: .245 mm (.010 in.) or .33 mm. (.013 in.) of precisely deposited ABS and support material.

Jason Moss / snipped-for-privacy@idfi.com Certified SolidWorks Professional IDFI / Industrial Design Fabrication & Installation, Inc. /
P.O. Box 544, Moville, IA 51039 Ph: 712-873-5858 Fax: 712-873-5859

Reply to
Joe Sloppy

Lol @ people with FDM SST trying to get jobs.

Reply to
orian

Not trying really, just offering the machine at a cheap cost for anyone who wants a nice prototype. We don't need the money, we bought it for ourselves, but using it once a month is not getting the best use out of it. Need a model of something? Maybe a cool logo or your name?

Reply to
Joe Sloppy

I must agree. We've got one that we picked up for around $25K some time ago. We use the hell out of it and need two or three more. It has paid for itself over and over. No need to sub this out when the machine is so cheap.

Reply to
hallga
50$ per cubic inch? does that include the tray and structural resin (assuming its a dual extruder). What about loading the model in to the cadayst program? These are all things a RP shop will charge. Kinda like 15 bucks shipping and handling on a 9.99 TV advertised spatula. this link will help
orian

Maybe its better to design your own unique products and sell them on e bay. materialise in belgium, wich is a big rapid prototyping firm, makes special lamps when the machines are not busy.

follow the link :

good luck Bram

Reply to
bvw

$50 dollar includes everything (its a dual extruder, aren't they all?) minus shipping of course, that would be determined by where you are located. How about a spatula?

Reply to
Joe Sloppy

FDM can be very good for structural parts. I built some of my first RP parts using FDM and they held up very well on the road.

Reply to
TOP

orian wrote in news:fjaNf.14769$D56.6887 @fe31.usenetserver.com:

I have two of the BST machines that we use all the time. They're quite possibly the best equipment investment we've made in many years. They've easily paid for themselves and allow us to build and test fit prototypes much earlier in the process and ultimately end up with a more refined final product.

The cost of running the machine is faily low. Material (both types) costs $4.46/cu.in. and on average a 10 cu.in. model will consume and additional 4 cu.in of support material (wasted). Orientation for the build dramatically affects the amount of support. So, we're looking at $6.69/cu.in material cost. Add in a support base, electricity, time to prepare the model, time to clean the model, depreciation, etc. and it makes the cost of material seem inconsequential.

Regardless, this seems like a good way to help offset the cost of an idle machine. I'm sure there are plenty of inventor/hobby type guys running pirated SW copies that would like a service like this to make samples of their widgets.

MHill

Reply to
MHill