3-D printer

I know nothing! Where is the place to start on 3-D printing? I called some of my old friends in my old business and they said that they knew nothing but had a whole bunch of projects that 3-D printing would benefit. Things like simple representations of prototypes and such. I need to make some parts for one of my wacky inventions. So, can I learn enough and make a good purchase decision? I wouldn't mind having a little desk-top business for a few clients that I know have a LOT of money and do things by throwing it around.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Start by reading. I'd say read some of my articles but they're a year behind, and that's a lifetime in 3D printing.

Seriously, there's no way around it. There are so many different technologies for it now that you have to read a variety of info to know what the hell is going on.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

The current issue of Make magazine has a desktop machine roundup, including 3d printers, laser cutters, etc. Previous issues of the magazine have had articles on printing issues like adherence of the base layer, polymer choices, slow print speed, etc.

I've considered building one, but just have a few parts so far.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

The Cleveland Library has a 3D printer and a few other goodies too:

You're probably paying for it so why not check it out :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I just went through this about a month ago from the basis of complete ignorance. Curiosity was the primary motivator. Other that a couple of doodads I didn?t have any needs.

Considering only low end desk top printers:

The Creality CR-10 seems to have the best reviews. It is about $350 from china with a coupon - like buying something from Harbor Freight.

The Wanhao duplicator seems to have a good reputation as a work horse. It is about $300 from MicroCenter and elsewhere.

Going on down:

The Anet A8 is very popular. About $150 - $200. There are millions of gimcracks to pimp up your printer

I bought the Tronxy p802MA with automatic bed leveling (About $170) because the two reviews I looked at said it was only good for spare parts. Seemed appropriate for me. It is a kit. Everything was there. The instructions, in retrospect, were adequate but sparse. It took a long time to assemble and requires a good Erector Set background. It works just fine although it took another day or so to figure out how to use it. No actual problems other than numerous cockpit problems.

A bit of advice: Automatic bed leveling is a must! A heated bed is also advisable.

Also, it takes forever (hours) to print something. I suppose that is logical since you print at 0.004" per layer. There is no instant gratification.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jakob

I know nothing, either, so maybe start here? Amazon.com: 3d printing handbook

getting started 3d printing - YouTube

Wow, 3D printing of brushes. Whoda thunk? ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Some dealers starting out in the the industry may actually qualify for government subsidies.

Reply to
mogulah

Tom Gardner on Sat, 9 Dec 2017 04:22:28 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I'd say one place to start looking is Make Magazine - and their website.

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I own a 3D printer and I am very happy. It is called MakerGear M2.

It makes only certain types of objects that can be printed.

The plastic is strong but not heat resistant.

Ignoramus13548

If you are a 3-D cad type - should be a shoe in. If you are 2-D it is a pain to gear up unless you are ready.

There are so many out there and I would suggest you get a small startup version that works.

I have a 3-D with 3 heads (colors). Sounds right on. But the design flaw is G-Forces are excessive with servo's the size of your fist. Three in the head.

The company is large - and pro stuff good - this was a step down and they only tested 2 head units in applications. That works. I'm going to downgrade mine and take out the 3rd head and keep the parts for spares, and see if it will fly with two like the factories.

I spent to much on it to find out the bad news. stumble before you walk and walk before you run. The low end no-box and not fancy generally function as expected. Buy what you see working in youtube or web video.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I've used SolidWorks for many years. I only know enough to be productive in my old industry...no space shuttles here!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The parts I need are similar to a Dymo label gun. A left half and a right half and some internal components.

Reply to
Tom Gardner