Amway

My mom sold Amway for years, but only to a few neighbors that liked the fact she didn't try to "build the downline". Her sponsor was a gem.

I had a couple that I felt were friends call me some 25 years ago, inviting me to dinner to discuss a business proposal. I was mildly surprised when instead of heading to a local restaurant, they chose to drive nearly 25 miles to some steak house. Nice dinner and conversation, and just as I'm about to ask when they intend to start talking about the proposal, they tell me it's time to head to the meeting. Which turned out to be another 25 miles further from home. Turned out to be a big Amway meeting. Yes, you can make big bucks in Amway, but you really ought to try and attend one of these meetings and see if it's the sort of thing you want to involve yourself in. The folks running things seemed a cross between patent medicine pitch-men and old time religious revival preachers, with money being the apparent object of worship. My by now former friends kept me there until 11pm and outright turned on me during the hour drive home. How dare I enjoy a dinner and evening with them and not sign up!

I did sign up under another friend years later, just so I could buy the products at cost. I like the products btw. Well, ol' Bob soon went back on his "I'm low key about this" approach. Kicker was knocking on my door at 12:30pm (yeah, that's after midnight...) to hand me a brochure for a Mercedes 190 and telling me how good I'd look driving one!

You can make money, and lots of it. Maybe. To have a shot at doing so, you will have to make it your total lifestyle. Forget about machine auctions, fixing and making things, etc. Your social life will come to revolve around your upline and downline.

Sounds like I'm knocking it. Not really. It's just not my thing. I'd be surprised if anyone active in metalworking here is also heavily into Amway...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I have a friend from school days who joined Amway. He called me recently and told me some gibberish about how I can live a life full of expensive things without working if I join Amway.

This is not the first time I have heard about that company and I have always been of the opinion that either complete suckers, or complete scumbags, or often both, join Amway. I am obviously not considering joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone had friends or family get involved, and what happened.

Ignoramus23290

My aunt. She did quite well with it. It depends on your location and your circle of friends. They're a legit company, although I don't know how they operate these days. In the old days, they had a lot of unique products and they built a loyal following.

In the interest of full disclosure, a roommate of mine was the son of a top exec at Amway, from Ada, Michigan (Amway's home), and we never had to pay for cleaning liquids when I was in college.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yep, They tried it for a couple of years then I never heard anymore about it. They never got the Mercedes or the mansion they had taped on the refrigerator to keep themselves focused on the goal. At least many of the products are pretty good. But you can only sell so much soap to your family and friends, and being successful in Amway means you need an ever-growing network of new converts, each 'tithing' to you. Selling the products doesn't get you much.

Reply to
DT

I had a mate ask me along to an "opportunity" and it turned out to be Amway, surprisingly I knew the guy doing the sales pitch as well. It struck me at the time as being a standard pyramid selling scheme and I wouldn't touch it but I also valued friends and family too much and am not inclined to be a salesman anyway. I did buy a small sample of stuff and it did work well but was expensive. I can see how if you get in at the beginning, at the top, you might make considerable money, but after its run for awhile you'd just piss your friends off selling them stuff and getting them to sell to others and so on.

I understood that pyramid schemes were illegal, so not sure how Amway differs, not involved anyway.

Reply to
David Billington

LOL I'm not really trying to disparage you but your employer is little different. Ironic? Perhaps. Salient? Definitely......

Reply to
John R. Carroll

If it was any good, wouldn't everyone be doing it?

Reply to
SteveB

My experience has been mixed, over the years several people have applied various degrees of deceit in attempts to get me involved in selling Amway and only 1 that simply offered to sell me products. We did buy a few things and were happy with them. It's like anything else in life you have to work long,hard and smart to be successful...there is no free lunch. I'm not interested in any biz that needs to trick or pressure me into participating.

Andrew

Reply to
EIsmith

My first wife used to be an Amway distributor.

Amway's not a pyramid scheme, because there's an actual product being sold, and you *can* make money just from selling the stuff. You don't have to recruit other people in order to be profitable. If you don't, though, you need to put a lot of long, hard hours into selling in order to be anything more than minimally profitable.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Ed, not to question what you said, but how do you know that she did well. Amway distributors are notorious for lying about their incomes.

Reply to
Ignoramus23290

She was my aunt. She didn't get rich, but after my uncle died, it kept her afloat, and somewhat better. She just sold the stuff. She was well-known and well-liked, which gave her a good clientele to start with.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

"According to Amway, their annual sales amounts to about $7 billion and there are 3 million distributors. Thus, the average distributor's sales amounts to about $2,333/yr. If 30% of that is profit, the average distributor makes $700/yr. Klebniov claims that the average income is $780, but the average distributor buys $1,068 worth of Amway goods himself and also has expenses such as telephone bills, gas, motivational meetings, publicity material and other expenses to expand the business. "The average active distributor sells only 19% of his products to non-Amway affiliated consumers," according to Klebniov. "The rest is either personally consumed or sold to other distributors." In the United States, the Federal Trade Commission requires Amway to label its products with the message that 54% of Amway recruits make nothing and the rest earn on average $65 a month. No such labels are required in other countries, but the facts are clear. Most people who get involved in Amway will not make money."

Reply to
N Morrison

Not grokking that. Does Iggy work for another MLM cult?

Reply to
ATP*

Tex had written this in response to

: The biggest economic driver of Amway is not the Amway products, it's the tool scam. The upline makes SEVERAL TIMES more from the tool scam than Amway, and about 99% of the IBOs operate at a net loss. See the details on my blog, I suggest you start here:
Be sure to sign the online petition here:

Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - rec.crafts.metalworking - 180606 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Tex

It's the sort of thing that really only works in the large cities. In rural areas you just can't get enough of a "downpipe" to make it worthwhile. The big money is in having so many "below" you...

Reply to
Terry

The last time I looked into it, their cleaning products and concentrates were almost a good buy, but made up a very small fraction of the product line. To keep your numbers up enough to keep your distributorship, you basically needed to buy all your household items from them, but everything other than the cleaning products, and maybe their vitamins was massively overpriced and bottom tier quality/ features (home electronics, etc.). It may not be strictly a pyramid, but the playing field isn't level, either. Just smile, shake your head, and walk away.

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

An interesting read...

Erik