Whatzit called?

Steve, This is when you chuck up a piece of 1" barstock in your 3 jaw, bore a 3/8" hole and part off as many as you need, 'cuz it takes far less time than the sourcing, ordering and shipping of said parts. This is a metal working NG isn't it? Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

A friend of mine picks up all sorts of things from his union job, many of which are in or headed for the dumper. Recently he brought me some THICK washers that were labeled EARTHQUAKE SPACERS (or something like that. I'm sure about the earthquake part, not sure about the spacer part) They were about 1" in diameter, 1" thick, had a 3/8" hole through the axis of the cylinder, and had a brass looking coating. They were six in a package. Now I need more for a project. I know they are called spacers, but is there a specialty name for them?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

now that is the mark of true genius. who ever would have thought that some one could actually make themselves a cylinder of metal an inch diameter, an inch thick with a

3/8th hole bored through the material.

wonder of wonders...

Lusardi, in this consumerist age you are such a thinker. did one of your ancestors invent something called a wheel?????

now let us close our eyes and think of a brass looking coating applied to steel.......... ....................... .....zzzzzzz ooops! ummmm ................. ....................... bing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cadmium plating. ....and I didnt even use google.

Stealth (I'd label them Squiggly Wiggly Earthquake Spacers -OSLT) Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

Zinc chromate!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Right. It's far more likely.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

If you don't find an off-the-shelf item, perhaps look for some thick-wall tube or pipe to cut up. For example, I had no trouble finding 1.000" OD, .5" ID steel pipe at a local steel supplier a few years ago. This would be a lot less work to use than if you have to drill the center hole, as another poster suggested doing.

What are you going to do with the spacers? Does the plating matter, do you have to have steel (vs other metals or plastic), what dimensions do you need?

Reply to
James Waldby