Whatzit called?

My brother is trying to copy a gizmo and has decided to pester me about it. At the heart of this item is something that seems to be a stock device with some mounting hdw welded on. If we could get a name for this device, we can search for it.

It is simply a heavy (1 1/8" dia) rotating shaft mounted in bearings. The bearings, however, aren't mounted in pillow blocks or flanges, they are mounted in a cylinder.

For all intents and purposes, it looks like the quill from your drill press without the extraneous grooves.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Sounds like a steering head/headset ready to be welded into a frame.

Dave

Reply to
dcloss

Jack Shaft?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Spehro Pefhany

:) 'We Can Dig It'

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I have some cylindrical bearings-and-shaft assemblies/cartridges that sound like what is described here, and IIRC, they were referred to as pump bearing assemblies.

The outer ends of the bearings are sealed, and the shaft ends are different diameters, as though they were made for a specific application.

There wasn't a manufacturer's name on them, but I don't recall if the outer case was a machined cast iron sleeve, or machined steel tubing.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Thanks guys.

Although nothing hit it on the head, you got me looking in a new direction.

I tracked down something that was not exactly what I was thinking about, but should work. It is called a "two bearing housing" and is designed as a pillow block for big honkin' fans.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

There are also bearing units intended for supporting screw conveyors:

Very rugged, but rather expensive. $229 for that size last time I bought one.

For less than $100 Misumi will make pretty much anything you might need, as long as a metric bore is OK, and you don't need set screws to lock the shaft.

Ned Simmons