pressure cylinders -- manufactured how?

A slight OT query....

How are pressure cylinders such as SCUBA tanks and "K Bottles" manufactured? Some are aluminum, others steel. I'd assumed they're cast in one piece, but I don't know for sure, and someone asked me..

Reply to
David Lesher

There was just a thread on that.

Tom Gardner

Search around in YouTube a little... I just saw some videos of SCUBA and other tanks being fabricated a couple of weeks ago.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Thanks. "SCUBA" was the noun to use....

Reply to
David Lesher

Nope, one piece extrusions, or spun pipe. Google on "Worthington"

Reply to
Brian Lawson

What a great video. I wish thyat I could see that operation in person.

Ignoramus7553

It is a fascinating process. The aluminum tank being extruded from a thick blank... This process is called backward extrusion because the metal is forced to flow backwards over the mandrel (or punch).

Tooth paste tubes of old were made in this fashion; it is pretty old technology.

The steel tank manufacturing is also a sight to behold. In this case the tank is drawn from a round disk of steel which I would guess is about 3/8" thick. Also a marvellous process.

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher