Owner cylinders ...........

I FINALLY took the bottles I bought from an old welder to a different
supplier yesterday. One is a waist high acetylene, about half full, the
other, a big 02 with 400# pressure in it. I
told the guy that I didn't like the other supplier, as he would not make any
adjustment on these bottles I had bought from the owner. The O2 is from a
company that has since been out of business, but there WAS a forging on the
collar. So, technically, it was and is a cylinder that belonged to that
company, or whatever company bought them. But the seller was an honest old
guy, and he told me that he owned the cylinders, and I believe him. If it
had been a lease, I'm sure that he would have been contacted years and years
ago about returning the bottle, and no company is going to just let it go
for 19 years, especially when the man lives in the same community.
He gave me two stickers to put on the bottles, otherwise, they have to treat
the contents as "unknown", and do a purge and take off the valve and all
sorts of things. He said to GRIND OFF the name on the collar, and do it in
a very good way making it invisible, and paint the tank green. The tank has
last been hydroed in '91. He said hydro would be $18, and fill about $30.
I asked him why the other company wouldn't do it, and he just looked at me
and said, "We like to keep customers and make new ones. We get a lot of
people from them." He said that they get about two or three of these old
cylinders a year.
I bought a box of rods, some lenses, some gloves, and stuff I already had,
spending about a Franklin. I thanked him, and told him that he had my
future business. I spent over $3k with the other fellers last year. I am
going to send them a letter and explain that I will not be doing business
with them any more, and why.
I understand and agree that there are laws, common sense, and just plain
honesty involved in these bottles. But in this situation, I have no
reservation about doing this. I now lease one bottle, and that will be
going back to the offending company at the end of the lease, as it is paid
in advance now for another three years or so.
Sometimes, it helps to be just a LITTLE flexible. Especially if it is a
customer with an account and a sales history.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
Out here, in New Mexico, I haven't had any problems getting bottles with names on the collar filled. These companies are long gone and the current companies don't seem to care.
However, I did buy one bottle in a garage sale. Someone had ground on the collar and I didn't find anyone who would touch it. They said if the collar had not been ground off there would be no problem.
If that is what he said, and he is the one that will fill it, I don't see where you will have a problem.
John
Reply to
Jworman
Let me put it this way. The collar on the bottle is as smooth as a baby's bottom, and newly painted.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
I got this from my supplier and good friend. If it has a collar it is a user buy bottle. If there isn't a collar it is a lease or rental bottle.
Rental/lease bottles are often sold by estate holders with no ideas. I have a bottle - collar on it - I own it. Company crashed - also have receipt. I got a no problem as a trade-in or refill.
I also have a no-collar bottle of oxygen I lease.
Martin
SteveB wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn