Metric High Pressure Fittings?

I help coach the MIT collegiate pistol team, and we have a number of
Swiss Hammerli 480K air pistols that I believe were obtained second hand
from West Point in the distant past. These use high pressure compressed
air, and are filled from SCUBA tanks.
formatting link

We have a variety of fill adapters. Most are single piece ones that
require removing the tank from the pistol, and then screwing the tank
into the adapter. We also have a couple that have a rotating seal so you
can easily fill the tanks while they are still on the pistol. They also
each have a short flexible hose that makes it less likely to damage
anything. The hoses are quite different, one being small & short, and the
other longer & much fatter. I have no idea if these were ever a Hammerli
product, or were something that someone put together on their own.
In any event, the one with the skinny hose started leaking, and when we
tried to tighten that connection, it broke. We disconnected the other end
of the hose, and it has a very odd fitting. Then again, I'm not used to
working with 2000 PSI hose fittings, so maybe it's quite normal...
Here's a picture:
formatting link

Does anyone have any insight on this thing? The long skinny threaded
piece visible on the right hand end is broken off inside the hose on the
left. If I can figure out how to remove the broken fitting on the left
end, and get a new connector & hose, I may be able to resurrect it.
However, in addition to being high pressure stuff, I'm assuming all the
threads are metric, and I suspect getting parts in the US will be
difficult at best.
Doug White
Reply to
Doug White
Loading thread data ...
Not that thsi will help you much.....I once did a course on hydraulics at tech school. Those look like replaceable high pressure couplings - the thread, spiral or what ever you want to call it could be anything the manufacturer designed it to be.
Perhaps try talking to someone at one of those high pressure "hose doctor" type places.
Reply to
Looks like an old Weatherhead fitting, but the ones I used were on pneumatic signal lines, not high pressure. They're still around, bought by Eaton, might look through their products.
formatting link

Good luck.
Pete Keillor
Reply to
Pete Keillor
Pete Keillor wrote in news:
Thanks! I looked through the Eaton high pressure hose fittings, and didn't see anything that looked right. The hose certainly looks like hydraulic hose, but I find it hard to believe anything industrial would rely on the skinny threaded bits used. I'm amazed it has survived this long.
Doug White
Reply to
Doug White
Do a quick search in the paintball world, from what I hear they have been switching away from CO2 and over to HP air. SCUBA cylinders are typically 3,000 PSI BTW.
Reply to
Pete C.
Chances are that's it's something proprietary, what with it being old and all. Precharged air guns have been slowly consolidating on-the- gun fittings, but there's no "official" standard, every maker did their own thing. See what
formatting link
has, they import a bunch of different brands and may have what you need or know where it could be had. Might be some match airgun sites you could post a query on, too. Chances of it being something US standard or European standard are nil. An adapter to a more standard filler whip might be the answer as well. There were some one-guy operations turning such things out at one time.
Reply to
Stanley Schaefer
The long skinny threaded piece plus the ferrule (not strictly speaking a ferrule, because it isn't crimped on) that's still on the hose constitute a reusable hose end. Parker makes the hose ends and a wide selection of metric fittings and adapters. Parker has all their catalogs online, but navigating them is painful. If you're not familiar with this stuff your best bet is a sympathetic counterman at a Parker hydraulics distributor.
This is the distributor I use, but there has to be a similar place closer to Cambridge.
formatting link

Weatherhead, Aeroquip, and maybe Swagelock are other mfrs of similar fittings.
Reply to
Ned Simmons

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.