PROPANE "WET LEG' HELP

Does anyone know what is involved (parts and all) to install what is known as a 'wet-leg' on a 250 gallon propane tank? This allows one to fill the 20 lb. + bottles.

The propane company wants $150.00 to install a hose sort of like a gasoline station hose, I think.

Thanks

j/b

Reply to
jusme

A wet leg is in fact a liquid takeoff ie theres a pipe which goes down into the tank to about 1in up from the bottom. This is connected to a suitable outlet on the tank outside to which your gas co will fit your adapter hose for filling your small tanks. tho how you plan to do thisis up to ou. you normally need a transfer pump to do this. tho you can do it by venting gas from the reciever tank to drop the pressure so the liquid flows from on to theother. A dangerouss thing to do if yournotset up to do it .

Reply to
Ted Frater

Be thankfull they are willing to do it for you. Mine refused.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Yes, you are correct, Ted.

However, I plan to build a small fire under the main tank in order to raise the pressure so that I can fill the small tanks. Don't worry I have a fire extinguisher nearby and will have several buckets of water.

j/b

Reply to
jusme

ROTFLMAO Most excellent repartee !

Reply to
Snag

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:05:25 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes quickly quoth:

Have you asked since they went to the safe tank/OPD valving, Wes? Now that they're not overfillable, perhaps the companies will be willing to do that.

-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Tank u.

Reply to
jusme

Jusme, when I ordered my 300 gallon tank I asked for a 'wet hose'. They charged about a $100. (4 years ago). Works fine in the summer. I wait until the sun shines on the big tank and then offer up the colder 20 lb. bottle. I'm guessing that I get about an 80% fill. What also helps in my case is that the hose is about 12 feet long, and, when I get about 10 feet away the ground is about 1 foot lower. This difference (1 foot) plus the fact that the bottom of the tank is about 1 foot off the ground, gives me about 2 feet of head. BTW, I did pick up a propane pump at a garage sale that is identical to the ones at all the RV filling stations. To data I've had no reason to try it out. Was considering converting one of my vehicles to propane in which case I would need a pump. Have no idea if it works, paid only $5.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

You will likely be inspected by government agencies. putting a fire under a propane tank is not a sane thing to do.

Martin

Mart> Yes, you are correct, Ted.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Thanks for the info, Ivan.

Boy, the price of propane is $2.42 a gallon here in central Texas. That is for 250+ For 100 gals., it is $2.45. Sure has shot up recently - like everything else.'

j/b

Reply to
jusme

Martin, I never claimed sanity.

But, you do have a point. An open fire may not be a good idea. So, I have decided to drill a 1" hole in the bottom of the tank and put a spigot on it. I think there is some propane in the bottom but it will cool the drill bit when it goes through.

j/b

Reply to
jusme

Reply to
Ted Frater

=EF=BF=BDSo, I have

Reply to
engineman1

OPD was in effect when I asked them. They evidently had too many lawyers on staff.

Since I only wanted to fill my patio grill bottles I didn't get too excited but if I had a camper and used alot of gas I'd have switched suppliers with the provisio that I get a wet leg.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Reply to
Ted Frater

Martin H. Eastburn wrote: > You will likely be inspected by government agencies. putting a fire > under a propane tank is not a sane thing to do.

Ted Frater wrote: > If you have a spark youll have your own towering inferno. > Youl lose all your hair and clothes and possibly your life. > IF your going to drill a hole in the tank yuoll need to vent it over > night, and turn it upside down for all the fumes to drain away > before you drill any holes.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Martin, Ted, engineman1 - push back from the computer & look down at your legs. "jusme" has ahold of them and is pulling.

There's a lot of wacko stuff on this NG, but jusme wasn't being part of it. HE WAS KIDDING!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Sure, that'll work, but it's totally unnecessary. All that's necessary is that the tank have no pressure in it (valve open). With no pressure, no propane of significance will come out & with no oxygen in the tank, it can't burn in there.

To convince my overly cautious SIL, I once drilled a hole in an empty propane tank and held a match to the hole. What I got was a tiny flame fed by a little propane leaking out. Smaller that a candle flame & very soft.

I've worked on many propane tanks in this exact way, e.g., cutting in half with an angle grinder.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Reply to
Gerald Miller

When I first started using Propane in the mobile lab trailer in 1962, I could exchange 20 pound bottles for $2, now it costs me $14 to get my owner bottle refilled. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Don't try cutting trough a tank with propane in it. Water only. And liquid comes from the top - with a dip tube. The inside pressure pushes down on the liquid and it shoots up from the bottom. Think spray bottle.

If the tank is a big one - you likely already have a gas outlet and a liquid outlet. Likely there already. I'm speaking of the 200 gallon up ones. Likely

200 down to 50 or so.

Many people get killed when working on propane or gas tanks. Be careful.

Mart> Martin, I never claimed sanity.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn