OA to Oxy-Propane conversion

Hello,

I posted here a week or so ago on finding a basic OA setup for heating and cutting (I have a MIG welder). Since then I have been reading more here on the topic, and I also bought a new, basic Harris OA torch. I have decided what I want to do is to get started right off with oxy-propane, since there seem to be some decided advantages to this over using OA (cost of gas, safety, cleaner cutting, and cheaper fuel tank). Also I am aware that Harris has quite a nice selection of oxy-propane compatible attachments. I haven't got the torch yet, and don't know yet if it has the T or R type hose, but I am aware of the issue there also.

Yesterday I was by Home Depot and saw they had barbeque grill type propane tanks in the 20 pound size for $25 on sale, and I think this is a pretty good price since it was cheaper than their 10 pound tanks, so I went ahead and bought one.

I plan on using the stock acetylene regulator for the propane. This is a CGA-510 type regulator. I asked the local welding shop about what I would need to connect it up. He said if I had the older barbeque tank type, it would be a direct screw in. The tank I have, being new, has the new OPD valve setup. The welding shop said they thought I would need an adapter, but they did not have it. Can anyone here direct me to what I need and hopefully to an on-line supplier?

Also, the fitting for the propane appliance one is attaching to the OPD valve is referred to as a QCC-1 for "quick connect", I gather. Technically, what is the designation for what the QCC-1 connects to on the valve? Does it have a CGA number? I checked at the CGA website, but they wanted several hundred $ in membership dues before they would let me in.

Thanks for any help on this. Vic Remove "NS" (no spam) from my email address to reply to me personally..

Reply to
Vic Barkas

Bad idea, IMHO (and this may be a local thing).

First of all, LPG (inc. propane) has a bad effect on rubber hoses and components. This can include regulators - although some may be compatible, so best to check with the manufacturer.

Secondly, you want want a honking great flow rate for propane, and few welding acetylene regs can deliver this - although the bigger cutting regs can do it.

Finally, acetylene regulators are precision instruments that can deliver gas at an accurately regulated and very low pressure. In comparison, a propane reg is just a sluicegate.

Propane regs are cheap, much cheaper than acetylene, so why not have the right one ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I have worked in many shops using propane and they don't bother changing over to propane regulators. My 20 pound tank has the newer version outside square section threads and on the I.D. the conventional threads still exist. I can connect my acetylene regulator without any difficulty. Check the iside diameter of your tank valve and see if yours also has the internal threads. Thirty years ago when I first started using propane for cutting There were no complications. I guess regulations have changed. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

The internal threads on the OPD-equipped tank should work fine. The standard LH thread male hose should screw into the propane bottle OK. I recently let go an old gas grill which had been used on the non-OPD bottles before they could not be refilled. I ran it on the new OPD fittings without problems.

If you check the new gas grills for OPD bottles, there is a snout on the end of the male connector which I believe allows greater flow.

Do be sure to change out the acetylene tip to a recessed propane tip.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Acetylene regulator will work no problem.

Victor makes a good Oxy/Propane torch, been using mine for a long time. You'll be buying alot of oxygen by the time you empty out an LP cylinder.

I would buy the biggest oxygen cylinder that they will sell to you. It's a pain in the ass to get it filled, and you get a better deal with a big tank.

I bought an old Harris regulator off Ebay for a couple bucks. Looked like it had been through an industrial accident, the inside was blackened with carbon, and it was filthy. Disassembled completely, scrubbed it up, reassembled and works GREAT with propane.

Reply to
Giuseppi

I want to thank you, all who responded and I will take your concerns into consideration.

I was unaware that the barbeque type tanks had both an internal and an external thread on them, and I now presume the internal one is a CGA-510. I will find out for sure on Friday when my Harris equipment is supposed to arrive.

I already had a line on an 80CF O2 tank, but it sounds like I may eventually have to get another, larger one. As far as the 15psi limit on the acetylene regulator, I plan to get the largest alternate fuel heating tip that can run with this feed. If it isn't giving me enough heat, then I will find myself a higher flow propane-specific regulator.

Little by little it is all coming together due in part to your help guys and gals.

Vic

Reply to
Vic Barkas

Welding propane regulators let don't have LP gage with warning above

15 psi and LP gage indicates higher pressure. With propane you can ignore the 15 psi fuel gage limit just don't damage your gage. Type VD grade "T" hose is ok for all fuel gases including propane. Grade "RM" hose is for acetylene only. People have used grade RM hose with propane but hose life is reduced. Propane use is so common that I think regulator diaphrams are ok with propane. I know Victor's user manual has not warning. Ask dealer if worried.
Reply to
R. Duncan