Propane tanks - 5 gallon - recomended sources?

Decided I need a new/second tank - standard five gallon one each.

Any comments, recommendations on where is a good source. There is the Blue Rhino stand at Safeway, but what is consensus?

-- pyotr filipivich. Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote "It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged boys could lose a finger or two playing with."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

you do buy from one of those refill swap outfits , be sure it's one that other suppliers can refill . Some of those places use a proprietary valve that only they can fill - or so I've heard/been told . What I did was find old non-OPD tanks for nothing or next to it and swap them in for a newer one . Then refill at the local propane dealer .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

. Also garage sales especially moving sales and estate sales. I buy propane tanks at estate sales and pay some what less than the propane in the tank i s worth. Welding supply places may also have tanks. And the local scrap y ard also gets tanks and sells them for $.25 a lb. Best if the tank has the new type of valve.

Tanks are good without certifying for 12 years from date of manufacture.

Blue Rhino is somewhat of a rip off in that the tanks they sell are not co mpletely full. But you can take a tank with an old valve and/or a tank ou t of date to BLue Rhino and exchange it for a good tank. Look through the tanks at Blue Rhino and get one that was recently manufactured. ( so you c an get it refilled by someone other than Blue Rhino. When I lived in Washi ngton State I got tanks refilled at the local farm coop store. The Coop had the cheapest price and they would recertify tanks for no charge if you were having them filled.

Dan

What I did

Reply to
dcaster

I've been refilling at various propane dealers.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

How many would you like, Iwould like to clean out the back shed, come pick up a half dozen for free. Out of date tanks I usta pay fifty cents at yard sales unless they seemed to be full in which case I might go five bucks. Drive around the neighbour hood garbage night and you should get a couple. Refillers have smartened up and no longer stamp a new date so you can't get it re-filled at your local supplier and suppliers are reluctant to sell an uncertified tank enen though it is empty.

Reply to
Gerry

And once you trade yours in you trade with them. And you don't own a bottle anymore.

Local propane dealer simply refills your tank I have half a dozen and fill them up several times a year. My large 30 gallon is hanging in there as prime backup.

Mart> >>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

you do buy from one of those refill swap outfits , be sure it's one that other suppliers can refill . Some of those places use a proprietary valve that only they can fill - or so I've heard/been told . What I did was find old non-OPD tanks for nothing or next to it and swap them in for a newer one . Then refill at the local propane dealer .

six 20 pounders was acquired by trading in another bottle - most of them non-OPD's . As I said above , you have to be careful who you swap with because some (if my info is correct) use a proprietary valve . I have one OPD tank right now that's going to get swapped as soon as I empty it , it has a damaged o-ring and is difficult to get it to seal properly . Which is why it's on my gas grill and is only turned on while the grill is in use .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Gunner Asch on Sun, 19 Nov 2017 14:27:41 -0800 typed in misc.survivalism the following:

The Co-op has it for $2.49, as does the RV joint near the tracks. That's about 50 cents a ca gallon less than elsewhere.

About the only reason I might consider getting a tank at Blue Rhino is that it would already be "full" - no flushing needed.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Cheapest I have found in Az ia $1.99 a gal

Reply to
raykeller

Gerry on Sat, 18 Nov 2017 19:13:57 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I'm in the upper left corner of the country, not far from the Canadian border. Road trips ain't what they used to be.

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

You're probably closer to the north pole than I am, but a little beyond a day trip to the left of London ON

Reply to
Gerry

Gerry on Tue, 21 Nov 2017 22:54:43 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Hmmm - maybe we can add it to the pilgrimage to Cooper Lake and SW Virginia. "From here it is not all that much farther."