How to carve limestone with homebrew machines

This is interesting.

Ed Leedskalnin was from Latvia, moved eventually to Homestead Florida, where he built a castle from coral limestone.

Of course, "how did he do that?" is always a good question. Ed would say "I understand the laws of weight and leverage and I know the secrets of the people who built the pyramids." Which of course also brings out the conspiracy theorists. But this guy gives a good explanation of how it worked. "Simple Engineering". Some serious metal working here if you want to reconstruct it for yourself.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich. Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote "It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged boys could lose a finger or two playing with."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Will wait until my days off to watch a 30 minute video. Have read about the Coral Castle before. Not sure if this is mentioned but one of the 'perfectly balanced' pivoting rocks was later found to be mounted on a hidden truck axle.

Along the same theme, moving huge blocks of concrete by hand,

only six minutes. Actually bought the guys CD about ten years ago to see all the ones that were not on You Tube. Warning, the wind noise in some of his videos is awful! He needs one of those foam microphone covers.

Reply to
William Bagwell

William Bagwell on Sat, 21 Jan 2017

05:35:08 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I skipped through it back and forth while doing other stuff.

he mentions that 'even the movies show that "The floating stones" have visible rollers under them'.

pyotr filipivich

Cool video. I saw a short vid on Coral Castle a long while back. Some kind of Bermuda Triangle film, IIRC.

Almost everyone on Youtube needs those covers, but the majority of filming nowaday is done via phones, where there is no hope of a foam cover. There's a niche which could be filled!

And we haven't discussed the need for filmmakers to have a steady hand and to pay attention to what they're filming. Gawd, so many of those films just purely SUCK.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques on Sat, 21 Jan 2017

10:46:45 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Even the ones with a "professional" set up tend to suck. My Son-in-law is in teaching, and one of those is the recording of videos. And how the really good ones - well, let us say that all those casual spontaneous comments, they're scripted and rehearsed.

pyotr filipivich

Agreed. A braindead idiot with a $4k camera is still an idiot.

But of course.

Professionalism includes how closely you pay attention to WTF is going on. Remember the filming of Bill Clinton on Normandy beach "all by himself, with his thoughts.", with the shadows of half a dozen torsos in the picture? Oops! And that's how we end up with a guy shooting

200 uninterrupted shots from a rifle with a 30 round mag, even when they have a guy on-set with the word "Continuity" on his jacket.
Reply to
Larry Jaques