Building a shop

The opportunity has presented itself for me to build a small workspace.

Main issue is that this is the Pacific Northwest. When it doesn't rain, it is "misty". And then it is wet. IT does not freeze "a lot" but often enough, that it needs to be considered. What I am considering is a cabinet of some sort, for storing the "do not freeze" materials, with some kind of internal heater to keep the contents above freezing. I'm thinking to keep contents to some where between

35 (F) and 40 (F) when it is freezing outside. And suggestions for making, retrofitting, or just going out and buying a unit? Most likely it will be electric, power is "cheap enough" and I don't want to mess with more complex methods.

Hmmm - going to have to think of ways to keep tools "dry" - or at least mostly condensation free, too.

These projects, always start "simple" and then get complex.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich. Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote "It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged boys could lose a finger or two playing with."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

A light bulb or two is the cheapest, safest, laziest way to heat something like a cabinet.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

The common item used around here is a gutted refrigerator. Install a light bulb in the bottom (heat rises) and attach it to a thermostatic switch.

If you want something larger or want heavier shelves you could build a unit like I did.

I started with this shelving unit -

Next I built a box around it using some 2X4s and 1/4" plywood. (Plywood tight to the shelf, 2X4 outside this, sheet rock screws to hold it in place as you work.) In between the 2X4s on the outside I added foam panel insulation. Then the outer layer of plywood. Made the doors out of the same thing and used piano hinges so they were solid. Don't forget the bottom!

Now you want to add a couple vents that can be operated as needed. I used 4"X10" floor registers and a couple thermostatic greenhouse controls to moderate the temperatures.

For heat I used a cheap 200 watt ceramic heater with a thermostat. You could use light bulbs just as easily, I had the heater on the shelf.

Reply to
Steve W.

When I function-checked one of these last week it turned on at 29F.

It wasn't a proper test of cycling a heater on and off in an insulated chamber.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Ah, I have a fridge - it came with the carport. I'd been intending to use it as a "raised" bed garden plot, but this sounds more practical.

pyotr filipivich