The Antikythera Mechanism - rebuilt 100 BCE analog computer

Greetings and Salutations
The Antikythera Mechanism that's the gears and stuff found in 1900 in a shipwreck from about 150-100 BC.
We'll start with the cool link with the pictures: http://www.neatorama.com/2009/11/30/five-modern-technologies-that-might-not-be-so-modern / Scroll down, there's a video clip of the finished project.
and the 'home page' http://www.antikythera-mechanism.gr /
with links to radiographic scans, and other fun things.
Oh, and this is all about cars, from a European Perspective ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZXZkW1N3Ig
and watch the rest ...
- pyotr filipivich. as an explaination for the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol wrote "It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged boys could lose a finger or two playing with."

Just one more gear and it would have predicted Global Warming!
Buerste wrote:

One less and it would have been Sarah Palin!
--
John R. Carroll

Fri, 25 Dec 2009 02:54:12 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Oh, you don't need to do that, just label one of them "Global Temperature" and as it cranks forward, the dial moves up. - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

So they finally noodled it out. The youtube that is embeddd was worth the viewing.
Dec 2009 21:19:07 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    As some of the articles pointed out, they've been analyzing this for nearly 80 years. And as the imaging tech has improved, they could get better discrimination on what was under the surface.
    I remember a sci-fi story where they find an astronaut, trapped by cave-in on the moon. Only - nobody is missing. This that and the other, he's been there for - oh, 50,000 years. So they get the high tech scanners out and "read" his notebook - using the table of constants (which any engineer/astronauts manual would have) as the Rosetta stone. - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Have any idea of the title? Sounds like one I'd like to read. ...Lew...
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 08:44:52 -0700, Lewis Hartswick

same here
Gunner
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
Lewis Hartswick wrote:

Is this it?
Inherit_the_Stars by James P. Hogan
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/776489.Inherit_the_Stars
technomaNge
about Sat, 26 Dec 2009 15:03:22 -0600 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    "Winnah! WInnah! Chicken Dinnah!"
    I'd finally recalled that it was by Hogan - it is part of a "trilogy", we find a wrecked alien ship on Gayanmede, then survivors enter the system (They've been trying to slow down for the last umpteen thousand years - engine troubles.), then we beat the bad guys.
    I like Hogan's style. _Children of Saturn_ is the latest (as far as I know) - Velechovsky was correct. - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 17:57:43 -0800, the infamous pyotr filipivich

I do, too. I read his _Thrice Upon a Time_ last year. A Scots hoot, it was.
-- REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 19:51:06 -0800, Larry Jaques

Just finished "Inherit the Stars"
Not a bad read. Hope there are more in the series.
Gunner
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
about Sun, 27 Dec 2009 02:34:18 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    _Cradle of Saturn_ my mistake. (I'm lucky enough to remember any of the title! sometimes.)

The Giants Novels are     Inherit the Stars,     The Gentle Giants of Ganymede,     Giants' Star) Mass Market Paperback (May 1, 1994) by James P. Hogan
I liked his "Code of the Lifemaker" if only for the line "Why is the servant of the Lifemaker showing me the vegetable it is wearing?"
The Two Faces Of Tomorrow - before we turn over the internet to an AI, maybe we should test it, somehow?
The Proteus Operation - this is timeline C.
Hmmm - this looks very interesting _Kicking the Sacred Cow: Heresy and Impermissible Thoughts in Science_ c 2004. - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
pyotr filipivich wrote:

<http:www.itks-training.com%3A8888%2FeBooks%2FScience%2520Fiction%2520and%2520Fantasy%2FJames%2520P.%2520Hogan%2FJames%2520P.%2520Hogan%2520-%2520Giants%25202%2520-%2520The%2520Gentle%2520Giants%2520of%2520Ganymede.pdf>
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Let the Record show that "Michael A. Terrell"
-0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    That took some hacking around to figure out ... thanks. Now all I need is the time to read all them books. Sigh - "So many books, so little time." - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 22:32:15 -0800, pyotr filipivich

Give me some clue...I keep getting a "cannot find server"
Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
about Wed, 30 Dec 2009 23:03:06 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    I googled "itks-training.com Ganymede.pdf>" and eventual got here.
http://www.itks-training.com:8888/eBooks/Science%20Fiction%20and%20Fantasy /
Usual caveat about editing the %20 to single blank spaces. - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Gunner Asch wrote:

That was quick! :)
BTW, I like the quote. Randy

One has to wonder how it applies to Gunner himself, however. For example, would he be richer now if he was kicked out of hospital when he had his stroke or heart attack?
There is actually a lot of truth to the quote, but it does not apply as universally as I used to think.

Franklin himself gave a hint to your question. Gunner clipped the quote just before this:
"There is no country in the world where so many provisions are established for them; so many hospitals to receive them when they are sick or lame, founded and maintained by voluntary charities; so many alms-houses for the aged of both sexes, together with a solemn general law made by the rich to subject their estates to a heavy tax for the support of the poor. Under all these obligations, are our poor modest, humble, and thankful; and do they use their best endeavours to maintain themselves, and lighten our shoulders of this burthen? -- On the contrary..."
--
Ed Huntress