The Antikythera Mechanism - rebuilt 100 BCE analog computer

Greetings and Salutations

The Antikythera Mechanism ? that's the gears and stuff found in 1900 in a shipwreck from about 150-100 BC.

We'll start with the cool link with the pictures:

down, there's a video clip of the finished project.

and the 'home page'

with links to radiographic scans, and other fun things.

Oh, and this is all about cars, from a European Perspective ...

watch the rest ...

- pyotr filipivich. as an explaination for the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol wrote "It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged boys could lose a finger or two playing with."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Just one more gear and it would have predicted Global Warming!

Reply to
Buerste

One less and it would have been Sarah Palin!

Reply to
John R. Carroll

So they finally noodled it out. The youtube that is embeddd was worth the viewing.

Wes

Wes

Let the Record show that "Buerste" on or about Fri, 25 Dec 2009 02:54:12 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Oh, you don't need to do that, just label one of them "Global Temperature" and as it cranks forward, the dial moves up.

pyotr filipivich

As some of the articles pointed out, they've been analyzing this for nearly 80 years. And as the imaging tech has improved, they could get better discrimination on what was under the surface.

I remember a sci-fi story where they find an astronaut, trapped by cave-in on the moon. Only - nobody is missing. This that and the other, he's been there for - oh, 50,000 years. So they get the high tech scanners out and "read" his notebook - using the table of constants (which any engineer/astronauts manual would have) as the Rosetta stone.

pyotr filipivich

Have any idea of the title? Sounds like one I'd like to read. ...Lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

same here

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Is this it?

Inherit_the_Stars by James P. Hogan

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 08:44:52 -0700, the infamous Lewis Hartswick scrawled the following:

Make that 2 requests, Pete.

-- REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Winnah! WInnah! Chicken Dinnah!"

I'd finally recalled that it was by Hogan - it is part of a "trilogy", we find a wrecked alien ship on Gayanmede, then survivors enter the system (They've been trying to slow down for the last umpteen thousand years - engine troubles.), then we beat the bad guys.

I like Hogan's style. _Children of Saturn_ is the latest (as far as I know) - Velechovsky was correct.

pyotr filipivich

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 17:57:43 -0800, the infamous pyotr filipivich scrawled the following:

I do, too. I read his _Thrice Upon a Time_ last year. A Scots hoot, it was.

-- REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Its a free download in Baens Free book section

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Just finished "Inherit the Stars"

Not a bad read. Hope there are more in the series.

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Sun, 27 Dec 2009 02:34:18 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

_Cradle of Saturn_ my mistake. (I'm lucky enough to remember any of the title! sometimes.)

The Giants Novels are Inherit the Stars, The Gentle Giants of Ganymede, Giants' Star) Mass Market Paperback (May 1, 1994) by James P. Hogan

I liked his "Code of the Lifemaker" if only for the line "Why is the servant of the Lifemaker showing me the vegetable it is wearing?"

The Two Faces Of Tomorrow - before we turn over the internet to an AI, maybe we should test it, somehow?

The Proteus Operation - this is timeline C.

Hmmm - this looks very interesting _Kicking the Sacred Cow: Heresy and Impermissible Thoughts in Science_ c 2004.

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Sat, 26 Dec 2009 20:44:25 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Interesting. Hogan is a believer in Velikovsky's theories. And here he makes a presentation which makes sense.

pyotr filipivich

Absolutely fascinating! I was only vaguely aware of Velikovsky..and after reading about his data and reports....Im stunned!

Way cool!!

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

This was produced in the Middle east long before the muslims started killing any learned men because they were a threat to the religion.

Reply to
sparky

That was quick! :)

BTW, I like the quote. Randy

Reply to
Randall Replogle

One has to wonder how it applies to Gunner himself, however. For example, would he be richer now if he was kicked out of hospital when he had his stroke or heart attack?

There is actually a lot of truth to the quote, but it does not apply as universally as I used to think.

Ignoramus4115