okay not exactly "metalworking" - replace power cord on Sear Circ Saw?

What sort of a project is it to replace the power cord? Soldering is not one of my strong points.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich. Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote "It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged boys could lose a finger or two playing with."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Not a big job at all. Note the details of its assembly as you are taking it apart - the orientation of the parts can be very important when you're putting it back together.

Soldering is not the preferred way to attach the new cord. Use solder less connectors or solder less splices.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Bob Engelhardt on Sat, 16 Apr 2016

17:02:37 -0400 typed >>

Thanks.

I may have some of those around here. some place.

Maybe.

pyotr filipivich

A friend uses a digital camera and takes pictures as he disassembles thing. Probably a good thing to do. But I never remember to do it.

Dan I

Reply to
dcaster

Thirty years ago, my boss rebuilt the carb on his bike, developing each roll of film as he went along. He was quite proud to show the album of over 200 prints.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

Neighbor tossed one in the trash. Seems the cord got in the way of the blade somehow :) Would have been nice to get it before it got all rusty too but beggars can't be choosers or so they say...

Had a nice piece of cord with plug cut off something, maybe 20 foot long. Worked really nice as a replacement. It has a nice soft neoprene style cord now rather than the cheapo stiff plastic. Long enough to do many jobs without needing an extension.

I don't remember it being anything difficult but then that was the kind of stuff I did for a living (electronic repair). If you get in a bind post some questions. As Bob said, take pictures beforehand. Wire routing can be critical to keep it from becoming pinched when re-assembled...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Crimp, not solder, is the best (mechanical) way to go. If the grommet/strain relief isn't reusable, you'd be happiest getting the manufacturer's repair-part cord.

I wouldn't do an inline splice again, better to shorten the cord than to put a lump midway. (yeah,I've done it, but I never liked the result)

Reply to
whit3rd

Gunner Asch on Sun, 17 Apr 2016 17:00:03 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I'll add it to "The Project List" Along with salvaging the bench vise which was in a fire. It is a wee tad rusty.

pyotr filipivich

See if you can download the manual for your saw. Some use wire nuts inside the tool, so you can unscrew them, and reuse them. Sometimes a wire is pushed into the switch. Careful use of a small jeweler's screwdriver or a straightened out paper clip can be used to gently depress the spring just enough to pull out the old wire.

Michael A. Terrell

If you can, splice the wire. Use the specialized connection to the tool in place and at the cut spot - have three spliced - use end to end crimps that are insulated, but you wrap each wire and then all three.

Or put on a twist lock connector on both ends. Stow the cord and the saw nicely that way.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn