Liberator Updated

Is that for a famous gun that cannot shoot, due to being a plastic gun?

Ignoramus20161

Ignoramus20161 on Fri, 31 May

2013 20:04:39 -0500 typed >>

3D-printing is the rage, and people are enamored of the idea you can even print a firearm with them.

Meanwhile, the price and capacity of small "mini-mills" is coming down, to the point where a desk top sized mill is "affordable" for the serious "hobbyist." With one of those, it is possible to replicate a "real" firearm, without the worry that the plastic is going to some day catastrophically fail.

-- pyotr filipivich. Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote "It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged boys could lose a finger or two playing with."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

It has been tested and does fire. This is actually an updated version that can be printed on cheaper machines.

Reply to
Steve W.

But how much do the "cheaper" machines cost. The last time I looked one could buy a lot of guns for the price of a 3D printer :-)

From the pictures it looks like a single shot "zip-gun" and those can be made in any home shop for almost nothing.

Reply to
John B.

Some of this is the hypothetical "but they *could* do...," after which someone points out the ubiquity of CNC machining centers and the large size of basements in McMansions.

Criminals and nutjobs are not likely to learn machining, metallurgy, and programming just to build a gun. If it made any sense, they could do that now, and ersatz grease guns would be used in 7-Eleven stickups throughout the country.

"Printing" a gun is something else, but, as several people have pointed out, you can make a zip gun now out of parts you can find at Home Depot.

It's mostly wish-fulfillment and silly political argument.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yes that is what happened. It never happened. She shot herself.

Reply to
Pistol Pistorius

John B. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

How about $1300 at Staples:

You can also now get a 3D scanner for $600:

Apparently one of the issues with the cheap printers is the degree to which the layer being drawn fuses securely to the layer below. These things are basically a CNC hot melt glue gun, and if the material laid down in the previous pass is too cool, the next layer doesn't stick as well as it might. The more expensive machines basically operate in an oven, so the material doesn't cool as much between passes.

IF you decide to print a zip gun like this, I suspect the low end printers would produce a dangerously less robust version than with a high end printer.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

True..but its hard to buy a lot of guns that have zero detection signature. That has to add a fair amount of "value" for some people.

True indeed. However...they show up on metal detectors.

The printed gun was never designed to be a "threat to the public"..but a warning shot fired across the governments bows. And the Government acted EXACTLY as the builders believed they would. Which means that the Government is as predictable as a chronometer and it shows that the Constitution means shit to them in fact and in deed.

So much for that pesky First AND Second Amendments...which the designers called exactly spot on.

And it also showed the people..that the lumbering behemoth we call Government is virtually helpless.

Which is why Im amused by the Leftwingers who threaten the People with Hornet aircraft and Rockeye bombs and so forth.

To use them to attack revolutionaries...means the government kills endless piles of the innocent and their very own supporters to maybe..maybe kill one insurectionist.

They simply dont think..they simply threaten..and dont understand its an empty threat.

"If you bastards dont knock it off..we are going to nuke LA!!"

Go ahead..you will kill millions of the innocent..and millions of Democrat voters. Not a bad trade for a couple insurectionists and the now directed hatred of more millions of the survivors towards the government. A propaganda coup of the century!

The Left simply doesnt understand what Aysemetrical Warfare is...and why America is such a marvelous place for it to be employed...and such a miserable, deadly place for it to be defended against.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Why spend $1300 when you have been able to buy a plastic 12 gauge piston (flare gun) for many years. Or better yet make a zip gun out of scraps, a piece of brass tubing, a bent nail, some rubber bands and a piece of wood.

Reply to
John B.

The plastic flare guns blow up when using rounds other than flares. Fact.

And the current ones are 13 ga and 19ga ... there about..so 12ga/20ga rounds don't fit in them anymore.

Zip guns are metal detectable. But dirt cheap (and avoid brass tubing..steel is the only proper material..this includes brake lines now that antennas are solid.

And of course Im sure you all have seen the various "trade winds" shotguns that can be made from a piece of 3/4" black pipe and a handful of bits and pieces

And of course...make your own shotgun shells

Match heads work well enough for priming

And then too...black powder arms are every easily made from bits and pieces.

All you need to do...is to incapacitate the better armed individial..and take his good gun and ammo...and pass your weapon to the next guy in line and let him harvest his own good gun and ammo, repeat as necessary......

Those who forget history...are often forced to repeat it.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

So? Make the barrel out of plastic than. The whole thing is a tempest in a tea pot and if you are really into the machine business you know it too. How long, and how much money, to drill a hole lengthwise through, say a 1 inch diameter fiberglass rod, 3 inches long. Whittle out an 'L' shaped of wood for a stock, bend a nail for the hammer and some rubber bands for the hammer spring. I'll bet is appreciably cheaper than the 3D printer :-)

Reply to
John B.

You seem to lack ingenuity. the ones I've seen used for a gun had a metal insert barrel the sleeved the 12 ga. tube down to something smaller.

Nope, you can still buy 12 ga. flare guns. Amazon sells them

or West Marine

Jeasus... A 3D printer can make a zip gun out of plastic but you can't?

A fairly good friend was sorta in the business of making them out of nicely polished stainless tubing and sold quite a number to yachtsmen who were heading for the Red Sea. He even built a two shot version. slam fire the first round, flip the butt section end for end and jam the barrel down on the second cartridge. But he said that one didn't sell well as it was too complicated :-) Years ago I saw one in Manila, said to have been used against the Japanese during the Big War.

Sort of ridiculous, in America :-)

Old hat these days. Today you get your backers to buy proper weapons. Trying to shoot a cop so you can steel his gun is dangerous.

Reply to
John B.

John B. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The point is not that it's a good way to make a gun. It also isn't that there aren't easier ways to make something better.

The point is that it's a great way to freak out the liberals who want to control everything and everyone because THEY know what is best for everybody. It's a simple demonstration that even they can understand, and I hope it scares the wits out of them.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

The problem is that the Powers That Be -want- the bad guys to act out so they can engage Martial Law. How many of the recent decades' terrorist acts on US soil were devised or encouraged by our good old fed gov't (or the powers behind it?) I'm not at all encouraged by the results of my research along those lines.

Scary, anti-freedom concepts: New World Order, Agenda 21.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I personally think that it is a lot of noise for nothing. But I kept thinking farther and started wondering, can we have metal 3D printers, working on the same principle, by adding molten metal to the part precisely. It is basically the same as welding, just more directed. Then we could make steel 3D printed objects!

Reply to
Ignoramus4028

There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted ? and you create a nation of law-breakers ? and then you cash in on guilt.

Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.

('Atlas Shrugged' 1957)

Reply to
Richard

We've had "metal printers" for about 14 years (the Extrude Hone device that they showed at IMTS 2000). It lays down powdered metal with a polymer binder, and then sinters it in an oven.

I don't know if they're still making it. It ain't cheap. But, given some work at Rocketdyne some years ago, for making 100% density PM parts with a polymer binder via injection molding, I think you could fancy this thing up and do amazing things with it.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Indeed. However..the fact of the matter...is what you snipped out of my post.

[...]

The Left simply doesnt understand what Aysmetrical Warfare is...and why America is such a marvelous place for it to be employed...and such a miserable, deadly place for it to be defended against."

What..you didnt think it mattered or was somehow off topic and needed to be trimmed out?

High explosives dont show up on metal detectors either and are made faster than 12 hours for a much bigger bang.

But it doesnt put the government on notice that technology is moving faster than they can control it. The 3D gun thingy ...does.

And gives the People some tools, albit primitive right now...do have a bit of hope. Which is why there have been over a million downloads ..probably far more since it was posted.

Id strongly suggest one reads "The Weapons Shops of Ishtar" for the idea behind this.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

That sleeve is what keeps the barrel from exploding in the sub calibers

And one can buy surplus military flare guns from WW2 and WW1. The average person doesnt know about them, quite frankly

Where did you come up with that idea? You really dont know much about me...do you?

At this moment...Id agree. In 5 yrs or less?

Indeed it is. But we are not talking about shooting cops..but Nato troops for example.

The future is uncertain. Having the tools and the ability and most importantly..the knowledge to do something, is very important.

Like the knowledge of how to construct High Energy exothermic compounds and an idea of where to get the components. Think of that sort of knowlege as being part of ones first aid kit.