Electrical schematics on Linux?

I have a couple of things that I have done and I want to write and retain schematics of them. One is a fancy phase converter with two
idlers that are switched at different times. Another is a fancy wiring scheme for my compressor, to permit "on demand" vs "continuous" run, as well as a start button to prevent unintended starts.
I did it without drawing schematics just by keeping it in my head.
In any case, I still remember how I did my phase converter 4 years ago, but I do not want to rely on my memory.
So. Is there some easy to use Linux software that is available under ubuntu, that I could use to draw electrical schematics.
thanks

Maybe one of these ?
http://linuxappfinder.com/scientificandengineering/electrical
If your not doing it professionally, I'm sure one will do.
Yes, I think one is named Gimp. I played with it a little, although I have had a lot of practice with hack/spitMS Paint, which does a fairly good job at drawing simple schematics or wiring diagrams (and/or mehanical parts).
If Gimp is any easier to get used to using, it should be relatively easy. I don't suppose that there is any standard library of symbols for Gimp.
As I used Paint over the years, I ended up with a lot of saved symbols such as inductors, xfmrs, diodes, transistors, resistors, etc.
--
WB
metalworking projects

OMG, you're kidding. Using a bitmap editor for electrical or mechanical CAD? Just about _any_ of the vector based drawing tools would be worlds better than a "paint" program.

The mind wobbles.
--
Grant

    Gimp is a high-end photo processing program. It does have some drawing capability, but it will take you a while to find that buried in all the other features.

    As a photo processing program? I don't think so. And it has a steep learning curve. I presume that there is some way to save symbols and load them back in -- but I don't know it (yet). For drawing, I use xfig, jdraft or oscad -- drawing programs instead of photo processing programs.
    There was a commercial cad program for linux which I bought several years ago, which had a collection of packaged symbols for schematics, as well as for mechanical drawing (bolts, nuts, bearings, etc.) Now -- what was it called? Vari-cad I think.

    That could be useful.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 03:58:26 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote: ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VariCAD has a link to VariCAD homepage, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QCad has a link to QCad homepage. The latter has a free version (QCAD Community Edition) near end of http://www.qcad.org/qcad_downloads.html and also trial versions near the front of that page, or you can buy an MS-Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris, or FreeBSD "professional version" for €24.00 (24 euros ~ $31.81) I've used qcad for a lot of 2D drawings and a few 3D oblique projections. I downloaded brl-cad (88MB from http://brlcad.org/ free, available for BSD, IRIX, Linux, Mac, Solaris, MS-Windows) and expect it to work much better for 3D drawings, after taxes are done.
--
jiw

James Waldby wrote:

QCAd is in the Ubuntu repository.
Cheers
Ian

Oh... not so steep, Don. GIMP is the tits, and with appropriate plug- ins, will do everything PhotoShop will. But it's a LOT easier to learn. About the only thing a MSPain(t) user needs to spend some effort on is layers.
But you're certainly correct that it's no schematic editor.
LLoyd
On 2009-04-01, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

    O.K. I've not used PhotoShop (except for PhotoShop Elements), but it did take me a while to get up to speed with "the GIMP" for the things which I do. I'm still learning features as I try to do something else.

    *No* experience with Paint, which may be why the learning curve was a bit steeper? Or perhaps I'm just expecting to do more with it from the beginning? I've used "xv" for years, and I find the GIMP more powerful but not as easy. Image Magik works for some things which xv does not (such as .png images).

    Good -- I would hate to have missed that capability in it.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

There is a very flexible, but (IMHO) very hard to use, tool called xcircuit which should be available for ubuntu (it is available for debian). As the name implies, it's intended for exactly this task.
    [ ... ]

    That looks interesting. I've just downloaded it, and am compiling it (for Solaris) as I type.
    Thanks,         DoN.
Of all things, so far I like Geda the most and it is available in my distribution. It seems to have the symbols that I need and actually works.
Here's the schematic:
http://tinyurl.com/d2sgw6
Hi; minor nit: gif format is a far better choice for images like this than jpeg. Jpeg was designed for photograph compression and does very poorly with data like this. Gif was designed for diagrams and things, and would give you a much smaller and sharper image than jpeg.
--
-Ed Falk, snipped-for-privacy@despams.r.us.com
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com /

    Especially if you limit it to two colors -- black and white. It makes for a *very* compact image file. (Be careful to not allow grayscales, or you have 8-bits per pixel instead of one bit per pixel, and color gives you 24 bits per pixel, which is even worse.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Edward A. Falk wrote:

Or TIF or PNG or ... Almost *anything* is better for line drawings than JPG.
--
These are my personal views and not those of Fujitsu Technology Solutions!
Josef Mllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FTS)

And thank you for posting oscad and jdraft! I've got a back porch to design Real Soon Now, and am looking for better options for dimensioned drawings than xfig. Between those two and qcad, I'll have some play-time ahead....

    Great! IIRC, oscad is supposed to be really easy for someone who has used TurboCad.
    About xcircuit -- It compiles (on Solaris 10), but the buttons at the top don't do anything -- no drop-down menus, nothing. And when I try to change colors, it locks up and has to be killed from outside. Do either of these sound like familiar symptoms? Things were even worse until I started using gmake instead of the standard Sun make. :-)
    It behaves pretty much the same on OpenBSD (still a 64-bit UltraSPARC, FWIW -- not an Intel box.) Perhaps I should try compiling it on the Intel box with OpenBSD on it.
    Thanks,         DoN.
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

oscad seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. www.oscad.com seems to no longer exist.
Cheers
ian

    Oops! The author is still present in the "modeleng" list. Perhaps he got tired of the project? Or perhaps the name of the domain changed?
    Or -- I seem to remember him having problems recently with his original ISP -- perhaps that is where the problem is.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On April 2, 2009 20:34, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, DoN. Nichols ( snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com) wrote:

FWIW, http://whois.domaintools.com/oscad.com reports
Domain name: oscad.com ... Status: Locked ... Creation date: 04 Feb 2008 13:03:00 Expiration date: 02 Feb 2009 09:10:00
[snip]
--
Lew Pitcher