Got a spare puter? Try Mint 7 Linux

I tend to putter around with Linux and in fact the box Im running has a "dual boot" setup with XP and Mint 7 Linux

If you have a spare box collecting dust..you may wish to download and install Mint 7 Linux. So far..it works very very well and is quite easy for a beginner to Linux to run.

I dual boot various forms of Linux and this one may stay on my puter for a while. With Wine to run windows programs...its simple, powerful and the Shock of learning a new operating system is minimized..its much akin to Windows in many ways

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Does it support Conexant or Agere dial-up Winmodems?

I have 2000 and XP working well enough that I've lost interest in Unix, other than Knoppix on a bootable CD to read and write files that Windows can't or won't let me open.

In the last year AVG has picked up no virii, maybe two Trojans and otherwise only tracking cookies which I then block.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On the subject of Linux, it's now real easy to create a bootable USB memory stick with Ubuntu or your favorite release. Go to...

And follow the instructions.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Yep, great post.

I am very tempted to try Mint also. At present I run Ubuntu.

Ignoramus30106

Thanks.

BTW, a USB stick is fomatted FAT32 and has a ~4GB file size limit, ie it won't hold a full DVD distro. If you change it from Appearance to Performance you can reformat it in NTFS and store the larger .ISO. I did this to bring the file home and burn it to a DVD, not to boot from the flash drive.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have a number of memory sticks that are 8 and 16 gig. Most ..most Linux distros are still fitable on a 650 meg CD rom

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Ubuntu is currently #1..but Ive had "iffy" luck with it. I occasionally try a different linux about 2x a year...and Mint is well done enough ..and error proof enough that I may simply stick with it. it has enough compatible software that it simply does everything I need it to do without needing 3 DVDs to hold everything.

Shrug..you mileage may vary.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I have a box that multi boots w2k, ubuntu ( EMC distribution) and fedora. I've slowly worked my leanings to Ubuntu when I go *nixy.

As I've mentioned before, I can get enough *nixy to make me happy while running window via

.

Wes

Wes

It is a per file, not drive, limit. A 400 GIG hard drive formatted in FAT32 could hold 100 4GB files, but not a single (un split) 5GB file.

And yes many distro's have both a CD and a DVD sized version. Mandriva does...

Reply to
William Bagwell

Oh..before I forget..DistroWatch is THE website for basic Linux info and downloads

They have links to the most current versions, reviews and headups....

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Look to see if Mint has "PlayonLinux" as an installable file in Synaptics or Mint's equivalent of the Ubuntu Software Center.

I installed PlayonLinux and now I can run Internet Explorer 6 !!! Still haven't figured out why I would want to, tho.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

Linux is better than M$ but if you want a real operating system move to FreeBSD or OpenBSD.

Reply to
Curly Surmudgeon

Maybe because it opens you to viruses? Whats life without a little challenge?

Gunner, posting on Agent running under Wine on Mint 7

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I dual boot Mint and XP. I only boot into XP for a couple programs. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

So how do you like Mint? So far to me..its been utterly stable and installation /setup one of the best Ive ever seen for the beginner.

I see Mint 8 is now out. Is it something I want to upgrade to? Or should I stay with 7 for a while and let em bug test 8?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Quite enjoyable, actually!

Reply to
cavelamb

Have you used Ubuntu? Are the Mint tools worth the switch?

I've been using Linux since the days when a Slackware distro came on about

47 diskettes and did RedHat until they came out with their own special screwed up gcc and python, and switched to SuSE until they hosed Yast, so I'm not exactly a beginner. However, I have a lot more interesting things to do than wet nurse installations, so I'm back to simple and stable is the Real Thing.
Reply to
robert bowman

Sounds like you're ready for FreeBSD or Gentoo.

Reply to
Curly Surmudgeon

I like7. Mint 8 stable just came out. You have to install mint 8 unstable then use the update to get the stable version. I haven't tried 8 yet. I may install it tomorrow if I get a chance. My only complaint is I have an ATIi radeon xpress 200 on board video and it's not completely supported in 7 so online videos get choppy in full screen but not if I download and play on MPlayer. I installed the proprietary drivers and my display wouldn't work so I had to uninstall them and use the default drivers. Other than that it's way faster than XP. I'll post after I've played with 8 a bit. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Yes I have..and yes..they are.

Mint appears to be a normalized, cut down version of Ubuntu. Its been set up for fast and easy installation, and has the tools/software the average user will use, and of course..the ability to add whatever you want.

I was exceptionally impressed by the ability to install it from INSIDE Windows. It was very simply quite painless.

And so far..its not puked, crashed or gone off the path.

Gunner

Gunner Asch