Which MCAD company will be first with linix version?

do you suppose any of them are working on it, and if so, would they have a reason to not make it public?

Reply to
bill allemann

I would think that using a Windows OS, especially now with Vista, would amount to very significant performance penalties, for one.

And then there's that stability thing....

Reply to
bill allemann

I have noticed that UNIX/LINUX ports of the same application seem to run twice as fast as the same application in windows and and crash less.

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

My personal experience sez otherwise. My son and I did some benchmarking with several versions of Linux and Windows on the same computer and the performance difference was negligible. My son is an avid gamer and was the one who wanted to give Linux a try to see if performance was really as improved as some people say it is.

Games are by no means CAD systems, but they are CPU, GPU, and I/O intensive enough to draw a fair comparison. In the end, Linux got wiped permanently from the system and it has been running Windows since. Decision was based largely on the incompatibility thing. Both hardware and software.

Hogwash. My Windows systems are no less stable than my BSD Unix systems.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Which CAD or CAD/CAM apps that were ported from Windows to Unix have you used?

Names will help immensely. Please be specific.

Reply to
Black Dragon

There's an example of a Unix app gone Windows only.

Cimatron is another.

Gibbs went from Mac to Windows.

It has been ages since I've talked to a Unigraphics user who is still using it on UNIX systems, they've all since migrated to Windows systems.

Same for Pro Engineer.

You probably recall almost a decade ago when I was a stark raving mad Linux zealot and was pushing the same mantra as these people are today. You know, I can't figure out which made me happier at the time: 1) wiping Windows from all my computers and installing Linux on them 2) or wiping Linux from all my computers and putting Windows back on them (except the servers which are running FreeBSD) several years later. :)

Reply to
Black Dragon

No cad cam. I have been using UNIX primarily as a test computer for hardware testing and web server.

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

How EXACTLY have you come to this conclusion?

How, When and Where did you evaluate Synchronous Technology?

What programs with Synchronous Technology did you evaluate?

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Find someone who is into gaming to play, and load up the latest versions of, say, America's Army (free) and Unreal Tournament (not free) on Linux and let the gamer have at it for a while. (a while being a couple weeks) Then wipe Linux and install Windows (or dual boot) and play the same versions of the games on it. Vista or XP, doesn't matter. You will find the difference to be negligible. CAD and CAD/CAM wouldn't be any different.

Linux on the desktop has nothing over Windows except maybe novelty, and incompatibilities will cause that to wear off quickly. How quick will depend on how patient you are. It took several years for me.

For servers on the other hand, the _only_ reason I can think of at the moment to run Microsoft on a server is Exchange. And even then it should be tucked safely behind an MTA running on a BSD front end. :)

Reply to
Black Dragon

I strongly dissent, having done this test a few weeks ago for a discussion in a mailing list. The test machine was my x86-64 Athlon with 1GB ram and a ATI radeon

512MB (with Catalyst driver on Suse) Suse running on X-system with 3D desktop and a few Beryl effects, Win XP set in "windows classic" mode.

America's Army on Opensuse 10.2 : 18-21 FPS America's Army on Win XP SP2 (same machine): 10-11 FPS

Freeciv on Opensuse 10.2 : 4,2 sec to play a standard mid-game CPU turn Freeciv on Win XP SP2 (same machine) : 5,3 sec to play a standard mid- game CPU turn

UFO_AI on Opensuse 10.2 : 15 secs to load UFO_AI on Win XP SP2 (same machine) : 25 secs to load

Starting Openoffice on Opensuse 10.2 : 9 sec to open Writer, 11 to open Calc Starting Openoffice on Win XP SP2 (same machine) : 13 sec to open Writer, 18 to open Calc

Only one game won on windows: Widelands. Same speed, same features but very instable on linux. Most probably a badly compiled pack.

I wanted to test with Cinema 4D too, but while having a legal win32 copy, couldn't find a linux distribution to download for testing purposes.

Of course, if your games/apps do not have a linux version and need a virtual machine, the performarce will drop considerably, then just go for windows...

Reply to
jollyroger

Shut up idiot. You didn't undestand what I wrote, you didn't undestand what he wrote, you didn't undestand what you wrote... but you keep throwing random words at the world.

I do not use SW on linux, obviusly, since I use SW at *work* (do you know that word?) and there I can't choose my system AND, before you start the bullshit of Stupidous Technology(TM), I can't choose my CAD suite either.

At home, i found that Linux is much more performant than winXP on some of the things I'm interested into. That was the point of my message, but I understand that there weren't any marketbabble, so it may be too difficult for you to understand.

You can't imagine how little funny you are (except for an expert psychiatrist, I guess)

The only picture I see, is you with a red nose and baggy trousers, clown.

So sorry I can't plonk you with googlegroups.

Reply to
jollyroger

Your test hardware is rather anemic if that's all you got. You might want to try something good for running CAD software to make a valid comparison.

Our test machine was a dual core AMD x64 with dual GeForce GPUs (each in a PCI-E 16x slot - - I'd use Quadro's in a CAD system), 4GB ram, and two WD Raptor disks configured on a RAID stripe set. The system was built specificaly to play games with overclocking and all. I won't bother getting into the flaming hoops I had to jump through just to get Linux running on that system, it's an entire story in itself that would take a week to tell.

To be fair, since the GeForce Linux driver didn't support SLI, SLI was disabled in Windows. With SLI enabled in Windows the average FPS in America's Army was over 80. America's Army throttles it at 90 max.

Without SLI enabled in Windows AA's FPS was 45-55. It was a little higher in Linux but not anywhere near almost twice as fast as you claim to be getting.

The disparity in our numbers could entirely be caused by the quality of video drivers, but the fact remains that Linux didn't perform but maybe slightly better on a system that Windows screams like a banshee on.

Reply to
Black Dragon

so,.. yours is better than his but since you couldn't install some drivers and you still saw performance was better with linux and his figures are more than you saw... windoze still runs like a banshe????

dude,... like,... you're full of it.

I've done my test as well and linux beats windoze most of the time.

The wonderful thing here is... WE have a choice!!

Anyhow for those interested in change and want choice... go for it,.. it works! just choose a distro and enjoy!

as for cad/cam... there are choices... and we know virtualization is getting better so use a virtual system if need be.

There is a world outside of the USA and people here mostly are US natiionalist with a limited mindset!

=2E. (top post,... top post,... top post,,.....)

Reply to
zxys

uhh, dude, like, you've got severe reading comprehension problems. Drivers were installed and Linux was a few FPS faster when the Windows configuration was *downgraded* to match the best Linux configuration.

So how does Solidworks run on Linux for you? Inquiring minds would love to know.

Running CAD software in anything but the native environment it was written to run in is quite simply, idiotic.

Reply to
Black Dragon

We'll then,... here's a simple and realistic question for you,... Why don't you get SE and CAM EXPRESS and never turn back,.. look ahead,.. evolve and grow away from all of the past trivial parametric bs... and, be happy?

..

Reply to
zxys

How did you evaluate Solid Edge?

Reply to
brewertr

That is just one of my home desktop PC, the one I use mostly for testing, gaming and as a linux workstation.

Obviously I won't run any test on the office's machines :-)

I can understand you very, very well :-D

Anyway, don't want to fire up a religion war about OSs, I am happy with both my opensuse and windows (for different tasks, of course).

Reply to
jollyroger

So what?

Who cares? I am happy with Rhino graphics, as I am happy with Pro-E graphics. No frills and big speed makes JR a happy boy.

You say that, and we all know how little your word counts.

As above.

As above.

Do *I* am? Really? I think most people here have quite a different impression.

Or most probably I would be fired (just as happened to you, am I wrong?).

Full picture is: at work Win is ok, at home I play games on linux. That's all. Quite a difficult picture for you to get, isn't it?

Mac OS X? to work with CAD? are you kidding? Have you *ever* tried Mac OS X or are you only sticking from Steve Jobs press releases?

I NEVER read Lombard's. And of course never commented any post. This is enough to give another impression of your cluelessness

Reply to
jollyroger

Negative 10?

Reply to