new motherboard

I'm looking for a new motherboard and haven't really kept up with computer technology for several years now.
If I can re-use the CPU, I will save the cost of this part PLUS greedy
greedy M$oft won't make me pay for ANOTHER win 7 OS disk. I don't want to reuse it if I'm being penny wise and pound foolish. Belarc says its a 3.60 gigahertz AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core. The current MB manual says its an AM3+ socket.
OK, I'm looking for a file storage and internet surfer machine, don't need blazing speed, or a lot of memory. So I went to Newegg for MBs, selected AM3+ socket, FX type processor, and started looking for ones with lots of SATA and other slots. I came up with these tentative results: http://tinyurl.com/nofnueh I made some selections to narrow the field that aren't really needed.
Any suggestions? Am I on the right track to re use this CPU? If we're good to go with one of these, I'll want to double check if the memory I have is compatible, Belarc says I got 2 each 4 meg sticks. The existing MB manual says DDR3. Not sure how to double check the memory speed.
Karl
On 6/19/2014 8:09 AM, Karl Townsend wrote: ...

Download CPU-z
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
Remember the first D in DDR stands for Double. The DRAM frequency is shown, but that is only half your memory's speed. i.e., 1600 MHz DDR3 will show as 800 MHz DRAM frequency
On Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:09:01 AM UTC-4, Karl Townsend wrote:

I deal mostly with high voltage circuitry/devices, but I did see this in ya hoo answers, recently. It seems pretty urgent. I think you should read it .
Reusing a "CPU...You won't find a current motherboard to accept it"
"OK first, NEVER reuse a power supply. I don't care if the power supply is 6 months old. Good power supplies last about 5 years maximum, usually. AVER AGE quality power supplies will go 2-3 years if you are lucky. And when the y die (not if, WHEN) they have a nasty habit of destroying other components . Always use a good quality BRAND NEW power supply for a new build...or even a major upgrade!
If your computer is more than a year old, you might be able to reuse some disk drives. And yes, if your case is good quality, you can probably reuse that.
For the most part though, if your system is more than a few years old it's better to start over from scratch.
Case...cheap enough, do you really want to keep the old one? Power supply...NEVER use the old one Motherboard...won't be compatible with well, anything you want to use. CPU...You won't find a current motherboard to accept it RAM...You won't find a current motherboard to accept it. If you do find th at motherboard, you do not want to buy it. Video card...Might not fit current motherboards, but is terribly outdated anyway. Get rid of it. Hard Drive...will slow down your new hardware, UNLESS the hard drive is mu ch newer than the rest of your current system Optical drive...yeah, you could reuse it. but 5-7 years old? That's got to be close to the end of its useful life anyway (replace it for like 17 buck s)
Basically, start over from nothing.
Another reason you want to replace EVERY component is quite simple...
Whenever you are building a new system, you want to have a COMPLETE, worki ng system handy...in case you need to hop on the web to research something during the build process. "
-- https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid 120107150523AABz3nK
(in other words, everything is now designed to become obsolete too quickly for reuse)
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

IMO much of what you just said is bullshit . MB's are available all over the place for AM3 /quad core processors , and DDR3 RAM is still currewnt technology . I do agree with replacing the optical drive and power supply though . Keep the old ones as backups ... And Karl , you should be able to use the same Win7 license in a new build . Might have to call M$ to activate it , I've had to do that when re-using XP licenses . -- Snag

Depends what kind of licence you have. If you got stuck with an OEM licence attached to a pre-install with only a restore disk (not a full microsoft install) not only can you not legally use it on a different computer (and a different motherboard makes it a different computer in Microsoft's eyes) but in many cases it physically will not install on the new computer. If it is a pre uefi system you might be able to install the running hard drive, but you may not be able to re-install.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I dunno , Clare , I've never had a problem installing XP Home/XP Pro/Vista on any box I worked over - useta "restore" old boxes and give them to the kids on our street - using whatever license number was on the box . Some were from totally different comps that I upgraded to Pro . Only hassle I ever had was occasionally I'd have to activate over the phone , but even that was automated . I use discs burned from images downloaded from torrent sites and other places . And some of those licenses have been used on more than one comp <sequentially not concurrently> over the years . Not having had problems myself , I don't understand all the negativity - I often have more problems locating drivers for a particular mobo than license problems . One exception is XP Home Media Edition , never could get that one to load properly . And I have several good license numbers for it .
--
Snag

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 22:49:44 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

================FYI http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNoR13932&CatIdF22 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo 88430
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,

Deopends entirely on what you are starting with. A "microsoft install disk" whether OEM or retail usually works even on a different manufacturer/configuration, but an oem restore" disk generally will NOT install on someone elses system, and when it does it often will not authenticate - even over the phone. It comes up "this copy of windows is not legitimate" - and you cannot authorize it. With the "microsoft install disk" you need a key for the same version (home, pro, ultimate or whatever) of windows, and often the key for a retail version will not install an OEM version, and vice versa. Been doing this now for 26 years. Installed and re-installed at minimum hundreds of systems from DOS 2 and windows 1 on up to current - and the current UEFI stuff is a royal BITCH.

Is there a Sweet Spot for used machines with a good tradeoff between performance and grief?
I went with the Dell Latitude D series business laptops which are very rugged and easy to work on, and parts are relatively cheap, but the performance of even the final, top-end models is on the low side for Windows 7. -jsw
On Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:30:57 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

Whoa!! Terry, my, myyy !! That's a pretty heavy-hitting comment coming from a master cabinet maker (dont'cha think?)

None of this addresses modern motherboards Snag
On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:44:29 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

FWIW http://tinyurl.com/nsjql4h http://tinyurl.com/q7kv83b http://tinyurl.com/lqu6zgl http://tinyurl.com/k3jguvj
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 18:44:56 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
<big snip>

As a practical suggestion to the groups, if you are using the Firefox browser there are a number of URL shorteners available for installation. click on click on type {URL shortners} in search box press and pick one to install FWIW I am using TinyURL Generator 2.6.1 which seems to work well. see http://tinyurl.com/46rh9s5
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
On 7/25/2014 4:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

<SNIP>

You will have to define what 'modern' is and what 'motherboards' you expect.
I have a modern extensive motherboard in my PC. While it is only a 64 bit machine, I hope for a bigger one someday but this might be my last.
Motherboards are designed almost entirely in the R.O.C.
A DDR3 motherboard is modern. An i7 six core cpu running over 3.6 GHz isn't old.
Alienware
Martin

I've worked with corporate intranets that tolerated computers as old as Win 98SE, kept to run irreplaceable old custom software, by not allowing them access to the external Internet. Even if they aren't networked it's easy to store and transfer files on a 2TB portable drive.
I backup the 2TB WD Passport Ultra onto a pair of AC-powered 2TB drives. All three can run simultaneously on a USB3 ExpressCard in my old laptop. -jsw

    [ ... ]

    Does in 98SE even know what to do with a 2 TB drive -- portable or non?
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

98SE is an example of what is tolerable if the program on it can't be updated.
Older versions of Win2000 and XP don't see over 137GB, nor are the computers built for them likely to gain from or even accept a USB3 card. OTOH their software won't generate job files larger than their drive's capacity so you can transfer their output on a flash drive.
I just opened and read a 32GB Sandisk flash drive on a still-useful computer from the 1990's running Win2000. -jsw
On Friday, July 25, 2014 9:54:50 PM UTC-4, Martin Eastburn wrote:

Printed circuit boards are the modern standard over 3.6 GHz (older than 2012). The question is how would you separate what's modern and what isn't from that? Use a pair of scissors?
(if, in some cases, you could even see the device you're trying to use in refurbishing)
On 7/26/2014 10:10 AM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

To add to my expense I have two - yes two : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 video boards and liquid cooling. My fans are in idle most of the time. I run one monitor in landscape, the other in portrait.
One for multiple pages up at a time and the other - looking at a whole letter in large font.
Martin

These are good and free if the computer still works. http://www.hwinfo.com/ http://www.cpuid.com/ You could also try the Crucial Advisor http://www.crucial.com/
I have only refurbished business Dells that don't upgrade easily so I can't help with mobos or moving the OS. -jsw

I've had fair luck buying complete PC refurbs from Tiger Direct. In fact I am running 5 of them right now. 4 of them are dedicated CNC controllers. Cheap, and up and running fast.