Quadro FX 1100, good choice???

Hi All,

The boss is going to get us new computers and the tech guy list the Quadro FX 1100 as the card he wants to put in. Is this a good choice or is there somthing out there that's better for the money? Or should I veto this card for something else????

Any input would be appreciated!!!

Thank a bunch,

Marty

Reply to
Marty

You are getting new computers with AGP slot graphics cards?

If you wish to have up to date technology you would be looking at motherboards with PCI-E (PCI Express) video card slots. That has been the standard for video card slots for the past couple of years. The FX 1100 is no longer a current product.

I would be looking at an FX 1400 or FX 1500 PCI-E card.

Here is a comparison chart of the current line-up of Nvidia Quadro video cards.

I am curious as to what the rest of the specs are for your new systems. That is probably more important then the video card you are getting. I am curious because your IT guy is spec'ing an out of date card for your new computers. What is the CPU and amount of memory he is suggesting? What do you currently have for computer systems?

Regards,

Anna Wood

Anna Wood

I did a bit more sluething on Newegg.com

FX 1100, 128 Meg DDR AGP 8X, $630 (out of stock) Last review in 2004,

FX 1400, 128 Meg DDR PCI-E, $460 (in stock) Last review in Nov 2006,
FX 1500, 256 Meg GDDR3 PCI-E, $500 (in stock) Last review on Feb

23rd, 2007,
I would be looking at the FX 1500 for $40 extra dollars. It is a lot of video card for the money.

Regards,

Anna Wood

Anna Wood

I agree. The QuadroFX 1100 is a red flag for the whole system. The 1100 was middle of the road about 3 years ago when I got mine. It uses a bus (AGP) that is no longer mainstream. That suggests that the rest of the system is also a couple years out of date. It is still possible that the rest of the system will be reasonably fast, but the 1100 makes me suspicious of the whole package.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I'd say is passable in a work environment, if just barely. When I got it about 3 years ago it was a fancy card, but now it's just old and probably pretty cheap. In large assemblies it is seriously lacking, IMHO

It's just barely better than the $80 game card I put in my home computer, though it's a much newer machine, graphics are almost equal.

WC

Dale Dunn wrote:

Reply to
wc

Thanks all, I will get the rest of the specs and post tomorrow. Looks like the FX1500 is the I need.

Reply to
martybess