LeadTek or PNY for NVIDIA Quadro FX cards?

Hi, this is a little bit long so I hope some of you will have the patience to read it:

I have a PNY NVIDIA Quadro FX700 card and I'm quite happy with it, although it is a little weak with intensive graphics like large assemblies in SW2006. I'm considering buying a new workstation and thought of the possibilities I have, regarding two major aspects:

  1. AGP8 or PCI-E or both:

my current card is AGP8 but as I understand the future belongs to the PCI-E motherboards. if I buy a PCI-E Board then I'll have to buy a new 3D accelerating GC. If I buy a Motherboard which supports both AGP8 and PCI-E then it will be the best option, although also here there is a catch: Most of the trusted motherboard manufacturers, like Intel, don't make such motherboards (as far as I know). If I'll buy a motherboard which supports also AGP8 then I could transfer the card I have to the new workstation and still have the option in the future to upgrade to a PCI-E 3D accelerating GC.

  1. LeadTek or PNY (ELSA comes out of the question because it is not sold here at all):

My current card works great, and is fanless! which I think is a great plus, because those mechanical parts are always the weakest link in computer hardware + it is much more quite.

But, if I buy a new Quadro card I think I'll go for the Quadro FX1500 PCI-E (with active fan :-( ) - and here there are two options in the local market: LeadTek and PNY. with PNY I already have good experience for two years. but with leadtek I have no experience at all. so if somebody here in the NG has experience with LeadTek or with both of them, then please share it with me and the group (I know both are NVIDIA and should be actually pretty much the same regarding 3D graphics acceleration, but there is also the issue of lifespan (or in Engineers language MTBF I think), and quality of support and service in any case something goes wrong).

Thanks, Gil

Reply to
Gil Alsberg

Gil,

Leadtek doesn't offer a Quadro card, just Geforce. PNY is the only brand licensed to sell Quadro based cards.

Elsa went belly up years ago. At the time, "they" were the only licensed Quadro vendor.

I guess it's one at a time with Nvidia

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

AFAIK no mobos are available with agp and pci-e. pci-e 2 should be with us soon....as will dx10 and hdcp...and vista...and quadcore..possibly it would be to your advantage to wait just a while before splurging on new hardware for longevity sake. new series gpu will be power hungry too...65nm is what you might wait for. a lot of things on the cusp at the moment...i expect there will be a new series of quadros soon as well with even better performance. new gpu are also providing hd media playback accereration but agp cards do not support all features. graphics makers are backhanding their new chipsets to work with agp for older pc as partial upgrades but agp is really obsolete like isa. HTH

Reply to
neilscad

They do, I have a Leadtek Nvidia Quadro FX 1400 and my previous card was a Leadtek Quadro FX500

The only issues I've had with either was the occasional bugs with the Nvidia drivers.

John Layne

John Layne

IIRC only PNY is licensed to sell them to North America.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Thanks for sharing your experience, John, I will take the issues you mentioned in account.

Cheers, Gil

Gil Alsberg

Mark, I think you are a little bit wrong about ELSA

As for LeadTek I'm sure you are wrong, because it is sold all over the world as we speak (including at my nearby local computer hardware store) - see
Regards, Gil

Reply to
Gil Alsberg

Sorry for my ignorance but what is exactly a "Mobo"?

as for PCI-E 2 and all the others....the computer world is advancing fast and if I would wait every time with my buying decision just because there is a new technology coming to the store nearby in a short time, then I guess I would be still using today a 286 processor :-)

cheers, Gil

Reply to
Gil Alsberg

"Gil Alsberg" a écrit dans le message de news: newscache$2bh87j$6q9$ snipped-for-privacy@news.actcom.co.il...

Mother board

Reply to
Jean Marc

I am tying to be helpful to you by telling you about the tech changes I know are coming soon...Nov/Dec/Jan...and further out... to assist your purchase If you have no interest in such things I suggest you just get whatever you fancy and don't ask any questions about it....or complain about it later ;o)

Reply to
neilscad

Sorry if I sounded uninterested in what you replied - that was not the case. However, I'm trying to stay focused on the current on-the-shelf technologies which are available instead of postponing the purchase of the GC, for the obvious reasons I replied. and BTW there are some (although rare) mobos which have AGP8 as well as PCI-E:

Gil Alsberg