Graphics Cards

I have recently got a new computer. It's a Dell Precision370 Workstation with 3.0ghz P4 processor and SCSI hard drive, which is all fine. But it came fitted with an Nvidea Quadro NVS 280 PCI-E graphics card (which I am not familiar with). My old PC had a PNY GeForce FX5200 fitted to it. Should I take the card from my old PC and fit it in the new one, or is the new card just as good? The old card has

128mb ram wheras the new one only has 64mb. I'm looking from a CAD point of view, and the machine never gets used for games.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards

Kevin.

PS Sorry if this is a bit of a no-brainer choice, but I don't know anything about this new card (I have a feeling it is some cheap crap stuffed in by Dell!)

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Kevin,

The Quadro NVS series is not a 3D card. It's intended for general purpose business use. Putting "Quadro" in the name has really confused allot of people. Real dumb move by PNY

If I remember right the FX5200 is an AGP 8X card. I don't think the new PCIE machines have an AGP slot.

Your Solidworks performance with the NVS will be dismal. You need to get a newer Quadro FX series PCIE card.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg