OS 91 FX vs SuperTigre g90

Hi all,
I'm building a Great Planes Extra 300s .60 size and am now contemplating
powerplants. The choice has come down to either the OS 91 FX or the Super
Tigre G90.
On the up side I have never had any relaibility problems with OS engines but
the down side is that here in Australia it is nearly $200 dollars dearer
than the Super Tigre. $200 is a lot of money to me at the moment.
I once owned a Super Tigre g51 once and power wise it impressed me. But
getting the low speed needle settings correct was an all out BITCH!! I had
numerous unannounced engine outs until I got it kinda sorted.
Where are Super Tigres now made? Italy?? That would explain it... Kinda like
a Ducati I once owned. Impressive as anything but really high maintenance.
I've spent a LOT of effort building this Extra and any input would be
greatly appreciated.
Regards
Shannon
Reply to
Shannon Parker
Have you ever thought of a 4 stroke? I have the same plane with a saito 150 and it is a sweetheart. Does everything well.
Reply to
Geno
Have you checked out the new Thunder Tiger Pro-90 [and FWIW the Bearcat]?
the well recommended strengths of the Pro .46 and Pro .61 on this newsgroup, one would expect the Pro-90 to out value the OS & ST. regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.
Hi, Yup, have thought of a 4 stroke and would prefer to go that way. But here's the unfortunate news in Australia. The cheapest I can buy a saito 150 for is $749.00 or about $549 U.S dollars Alternatively a Super Tigre g90 is $259 or about $190 U.S dollars. Tower hobbies lists for $129.00 Or a O.S 91 FX is $444.00 or $325 U.S. dollars. Compare that to Tower Hobbies listing at $199.00 Now what I'm really trying to find out is if the O.S. engine is $185 dollars better. I know O.S. Engines and have had nothing but success with them. But The G51 Super Tigre I owned was a good thing too. Just had a very fiddly carb to set up. $185 dollars buys the servo's and Rx for the model.......
Ahh decisions.....
ANY info greatly appreciated!! Regards Shannon
maintenance.
Reply to
Shannon Parker
Hi, I have no experience with the larger Thunder Tiger engines but I do own a GP15. Could never get it to run consistently. Piece of SH*T. So I stripped it to see what the hell was going on and the lower carb body was cracked. From new and was leaking air. Shop I bought it from is no longer (bust) so ... Once bitten twice shy??? Regards Shannon
maintenance.
Reply to
Shannon Parker
Thunder Tiger engines have a well deserved good reputation in the US. I doubt that the cracked carb body was indicative of their general quality.
-- Paul McIntosh
contemplating
Reply to
Paul McIntosh
The new Super Tigre engines are built in China. I can't comment on the quility. There have been some complaints with the OS 91 FX in some of the forums. I can't remember any details. You may want to browse rcuniverse or rcgroups to see if you can find anything. I know you are looking for a 90, but I bought a GMS 76 for a 66 inch Edge and have been very satisified with it.
John VB
Reply to
jjvb
The new Supertigres are assembled in China, using Italian parts. The old buggy carbs have been fixed using the mods that we found out. I still have a mod report on my web pages. Google for: reivers digital garden

"Shannon Parker" schreef in bericht news:40884d54$0$441$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...
Reply to
pe reivers
I bought my first OS the first since a 40 FSR in the early 90's, the 91FX, last year after leaving OS engines for cheaper alternatives. I now think that I have wasted money and airframes, broken by engine failure over several years, by not sticking with OS. The 91FX is a real beauty and worth every penny of what it costs in the UK. (I'm guessing, but without looking, I would day that its more than half as much again as the new chinese ST90)
It starts easily by hand, has oodles of power and is reliable as a good wristwatch. ST have been telling people that there was nothing wrong with their carbs for years, but they nearly all rich cut at low speed although, if you get one sorted, they are good engines. Part of the problem is that their own istructions are downright misleading.
If its a valuable airframe into which you have invested time, the OS is by far the best choice.
Each to their own, but I stand by what I say
Stu K
maintenance.
Reply to
Stu Knowles
Thanks. I'm certain that the extra 300 would fly well on a 60 ish size. Its just that I know its better to have a large engine working easily than a smaller engine working hard. Sounds better too and gives you a better choice of props..... Doesn't appear to be a weight penalty either. Shannon
maintenance.
Reply to
Shannon Parker
Thanks Stu. You pretty much reflect my sentiments exactly. Learning that ST's are now manufactured in China fills me with dismay. Not that I think that the quality will be poor but my Karma struggles with the whole china human rights sweatshop routine. Wish I'd kept that old ST of mine as a keepsake. Same as I wish I'd kept my 1984 900s2 Ducati. Its something about the Italians and engines... I'm sold. I'm just going to have to suck it in and save for the OS engine. Regards Shannon
contemplating
Reply to
Shannon Parker
The ST is good if you replace the carb with an OS carb. It gets rid of all that Funkey stuff. I have used as OS 60 size carb on a 90 size ST and it runs great. The bore holes (venturi) are very close.
Reply to
scooter
Where do you think a lot of the other engines are coming from these days?
Reply to
jeboba
Go with the Tigre! I love my tiger .90. I don't think Towerhobbies would sell the new tigres if they weren't OK.
Reply to
jeboba
I don't have personal experience with G90 but I do own an FX91 engine. Per my experience the FX91 engine is a high performance engine but it can be quite finicky as well. In the early days of this engine a lot of people experienced problems with air leaking through the needle valve O-ring seals. Many of these folks had to switch to 3rd party carbs like Perry. In my experience although I had a later version of the engine, I had to install a perry fuel pump to make the engine work (this was mostly an installation issue). Other than this, the FX91 also has a part throttle exhaust tone, something like a crackling sound, that can be annoying. This is normal for this engine but I find it quite distracting. From what I have read and seen in the field, the G90 does not have the same power as the OS engine. It's also heavier but given the issues with the FX91 engine, I'll say you'll be better off with the G90 engine.
Reply to
mn
Yesterday I talked to the guys at the field and the ones that use G90 were somewhat uncertain about the current quality of G90 engines so I'll have to take back my recommendation. I know price is quite an issue but if possible you should consider a 4-stroke engine - something like a YS110 engine. A 4-stroke engine certainly has its own issues but the reason that I like them is that they have a wider RPM operating range and at low speeds, the propeller acts like a wind brake. This makes landings easier especialy with a slick aircraft such as your extra 300.
Reply to
mn
I'm running a Saito .91 in my GP Extra 300 (60 size). It's an excellent flying plane, and a real sweetheart of an engine. And equipped with a Slimline pitts muffler, it's probably the quietest engine I've heard. The .91 has plenty of power for my style of flying (tending toward the smooth and graceful, not the herky-jerky) I believe the engine goes for about $239 US.
Alan Harriman
Reply to
Alan Harriman
Thanks Alan, Yes the saito 91 would be lovely. My flying is similar to yours... Grace and style not crazy 3d maneuvers that no real aircraft would do. Hence the Extra and not some 3D thing. I hadn't thought about a 91 fourstroke. I was concerned that it may be underpowered. Thanks. I'll check it out. The quiet aspect appeals as well... So many choices..... ;-) Regards Shannon
contemplating
Reply to
Shannon Parker
Yes I know... Its depressing. No reflection on the country but a reflection on greed and how we sometimes unthinkingly exploit developing nations for financial gain... Off my soapbox now.... ;-) Shannon
Reply to
Shannon Parker
Thanks Scooter. Here's how I feel about it... If I plonk down my cash on something I want it to work. I don't want to have to spend MORE money on a further carb to sort it out. Just seems crazy to me. I HATE, with a passion of two men, poor design. Poor design is a sign of laziness and companies that just wan't to take your money without consideration that you may want to actually rely on the product to work... In the words of Neil Young..... When I got it home it was a peice of crap....
Shannon
maintenance.
Reply to
Shannon Parker