OS FS .91

I "inherited" a Surpass .91 and am wondering how to determine if it is "with pump". Any help would be appreciated.

Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

refer to the pictures and instruction manuals at =

Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.

Harlan,

Go to this web-site and pick FS-91SII-P from the chart. In the next window you can download the entire Owner's Manual on the O.S. FS series engine. If you don't have Adobe Reader, you can at least thumb through the manual to see if you do have the FS 91 pump model. If you bought an FS series engine, you would get this manual.

Good luck with your engine. It's a VERY powerful piece of machinery.

Earl Scherzinger

Thanks for that link and the comments, Earl. I'm really new at this and seem to be getting the cart before the horse since I haven't flown a trainer yet and now have a total of four planes (three trainers and a Goldberg Anniversary Cub). I picked the Cub up when I got a deal on those OS FS engines along with a few other engines and peripheral items. I'm taking the winter to build, read and fly the sim to prepare for spring. After I fly one of these trainers I'll begin thinking about finding something to put the .91 in.

Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

I have to smile at your situation. It is one that I have been in nearly perpetually since I got involved in R/C.

My motto for 2006 is, "Less buyin' - more flyin'".

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Ed:

I'm relieved to know that this illness is not one of those rare ones. Is there a treatment? If so, I'm not sure I want it. Its too much fun putting together what I think will be a basic bunch of useful things once I really do actually fly one of these things. One of my problems with the G3 sim is something that I believe you mentioned: I keep breaking the damned fin off of the trainer as a result of landing too hard.

I'm starting to learn to be a little more gentle with the controls, but I think I need some tips on landings from the group. I've been trying to use the "rectangular" landing pattern instead of the more rounded "great circle" but it appears that I do better with the rounded approach. That is the base leg and the final leg are kind of all-in-one. The rectangular approach seems to require pretty much distinct 90 degree turns that haven't seemed to work for me. However, lately, I've been flattening out the base leg and that seems to give me better control on the final approach. I guess I land fine

80% of the time, but the other 20% result in busted off fins. I would guess that the fins won't actually break off during a real landing, but the sim is probably telling me I'm "arriving" a bit too hard about 20% of the time.

I've also found that with tricycle gear moving the right stick forward upon landing seems to help a bit. Is that accepted technique in the real world?

I'm also having a bit of trouble holding altitude when trying to fly a flat (horizontal) figure eight. Any tips for improving my control there would be helpful, too.

Anyway, all of this stuff leading up to flying is fun, but I can't wait for spring.

Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

I empathize with your desire to fly. Me too.

Some of the oddities/quirks that you have pointed out are evident to me in G3.

I haven't used any sim that realistically portrays what it is like to actually land a model. Be relieved in that landing in the real world is considerably more predictable, repeatable and easier than in most sims.

I found it odd that landing nose high, to the point where the rear of the model contacts the ground first, would break off the vertical fin. That is baloney. Not that way in the real world. Of course, in the real world, it is nearly impossible to get a normal model to touch the ground with its tail first on landing. Not counting 3D ultra light weight foamies and such.

Real models do not change altitude or heading by themselves as they do in G3. Real models do not suddenly decide to climb during a turn, without elevator input, as in G3. You will be relieved at how well real models behave.

Trying for a 90 degree turn and achieving one in G3 are two different things. The closest you can come is to fly by close in and then turn away from you. All other attempts at true 90 degree turns will yield something other than 90 degrees.

Yet, with all of that said, G3 is a useful training tool.

If your model is set up well and it is not very gusty out, you will discover that flying the real thing is infinitely easier than flying G3. You can relax more with the real thing. It goes where you point it, once trimmed, unlike - well - you know. I'm getting tired of pounding on G3.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I think you really need to learn both 'methods', as when you start with an instructor they may insist on you doing it their way. Some of my 'instructors' insist I do 4 x 90 degree turns laps, others insist I do egg shaped circuits. I just appreciate the time they spend teaching me and go with the flow.

I too have that problem - I hav found it helps me to do laps about 6 ft or so off the ground - that way any minor variations in height are easily seen and if they are in the down direction the outcome is very readily apparant.

David - a very slow learning beginner

Reply to
quietguy

David, flying those figure eights close to the ground is worth trying. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for the landings, yeah, that's why I'm trying to learn both methods. You'd think I'd have it knocked by now with the time I'm putting in on the sim, but I think some of the problems I'm having have to do with the lack of perspective in the sim. I'm just happy to hear Ed say its easier in real life.

Thanks for commenting.

Harlan

"quietguy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVE-TO-REPLYconfidential-counselling.com...

Reply to