geforce fx go 5700 soft quadro

i have an hp zd7000 on it way. what is the scoop on the the soft quadro hack for the 5700 if there is one? i was using a friend of mines zd7000 in a pinch and decided i really liked it. he has a geforce fx go 5200 in it and yes there is some "issues" there but nothing i can't live with. any links or info for the quadro hack will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
3d

Worked on mine!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

I got mine the other day:

HP zd7000 Pentium 3.2 Extreme Edition

1.5 Ghz. RAM 60 GB HD geforce x go5700

XP Pro SP2 yes SP2 which means that (according to SoildWorks) I shouldn't load either SolidWorks 2004 or 2005. Total bummer man! So I loaded 2004 anyway and so far no apparent problems.

I'd also like to know how to apply the soft quadro hack.

Reply to
JF

Hey Richard could you give some feedback on what you have found. The issues you had prior to the hack and the results after the hack good, bad or no change. Thanks so much!

Reply to
3d

what exactly am i looking for? too many downloads!!

Reply to
3d

I Soft Quadro'd my card about 10 months ago and haven't had any trouble since. The hack gets rid of the infamous "multi-window" slowdown in SolidWorks (with certain cards), and enables RealView. (I know that opinions are mixed on RealView, but I absolutely love it!!).

My system is a Dell Inspiron 5150 that originally came with the go 5700 card. On the Guru3D website is program called RivaTuner that will tweak a set of nVidia drivers that you then load on your system. The computer will think it has an FX card (the 500 in my case) and you will see much improvement in your graphics with SolidWorks. I don't do games, so I don't know what affect it has there.

Running RivaTuner is fairly straight forward, and there are lots of places to get instructions for the Soft Quadro hack.. I used a set created by someone here (my apologies, I forget who). The instruction set I had told me NOT to perfom a certain step if I had a certain card (the 5700), and I went through 5 or 6 iterations of graphics hell (I had no graphics). Thank goodness for WinXP and it's ability to "roll back" to previous configurations (you catch a lot of heat here Bill G., but I like you, I really like you). Once I performed the forbidden step in the instructions, the computer booted, I fired up SolidWorks, and saw the little gold ball. Cool!

Since then, I have been in a RealView World with nary a problem.

It should be noted (hee, hee) that SolidWorks does not recommend "hacking" your computers graphics card, and there are probably warranty issues if you do. Be prepared for a glitch or two before you get it right, and follow the recommendation to back up your original drivers. Don't do this in a hurry, take your time and be meticulous. In other words, do what I tell you, not what I do (sage Father-type advice).

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

Can you let us know, or post on the net somewhere the instructions on how to do this hack? I would love to have realview enabled!

Reply to
YouGoFirst

Try here everyone. This is the thread from the newsgroup that finally got me going (thank you Joe Payne). And I should mention, the card I hacked was a

5200, not the 5700. Sorry for the misinformation, but hopefully it will be successful on that version as well.

bob z. - if you're listening, there are a couple of folks here that could use a whack for top posting. Oh, and it's 88 degrees and sunshine in the Lone Start state today.

Richard Don't forget to sign up for SolidWorks World

Reply to
Richard Doyle

You know, we could get into quite a discussion about top (much better, more logical) vs. bottom, but that can wait for SWW.

As far as the weather, it's too bad that you are forced to put up with the heat of the summer so much longer than the rest of us, but I guess in your case, you figure it's worth the tradeoff. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

what's the policy for just deleting the entire conversation below and just posting? I mean the conversation is falling off (down) just like in the real world so natural you await your reply at the top of the post. the people eager for answers are watching and waiting and it will progress along like a very slow conversation or email session. if you come into the post later I can see an issue with top posting BUT if you start at the first post and work your way down it should all make sense right? and you don't even need to scroll down to all the >>>>>. I not intentionally trying to piss anyone off by top posting and I promise ill try to do better in the future gawd father but I just don't see the logic in it....enlighten me any newsgroup founding fathers. as for bob....he knows what he can do! ;0) oh by the way Richard, DO NOT take offense at this, it is all in TGIF fun fun fun!

weather sucks here too summer was tooo good for tooo long. time for the white stuff, and probably with a vengance!

Reply to
3d

No offense taken friend of bob z.

I was really trying to bait good ol' bob into showing his moniker in here today. As you know, he's a former Texan and I like to fill him in on the weather from time to time. As for the weather being a problem Wayne, my biggest concern for weekends through December and sometimes into January is shall I play 18 holes or 36?

I don't know where the whole top-posting "problem" stems from. I assume there are some guidelines for posting in a newsgroup somewhere out there. Maybe even contained in the original charter of this group. I do know that some folks here have been "whacked" for it before. I agree with Wayne (don't let that get out), top posting seems to make more sense. As you say, it does make it easier to follow a conversation. But, rules are rules, and if you're going to come in here and run with the bulls..well..you know what I mean.

TGIF is right. Have a great weekend everyone. FORE!!!!

Richard Don't forget to sign up for SolidWorks World

Reply to
Richard Doyle

bob has been put on "the list" at his place of employment. if he does stop in it will be few and far. which sucks cause i like that hill billy. hes as sharp as a tack but hides it well with his hill billesque outer wrapping.

80))
Reply to
3d

Thanks for the information. I got my system to think it has the 500 card. Also, as a note, after following the instructions from that thread, Windows XP decided that its drivers were better. They wern't, so I downloaded the most current drivers for the 500 and installed them without any problems.

Reply to
YouGoFirst

You can whack me for top posting, I don't post very often so I forget the rules. By the way, I am using the 65.90 nVidia driver now and it works great.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Payne