I'm too stupid to use select other in 2005

I'm trying to select an edge in 2005 using select other. Why does this list just contain faces? Mark B.

Mark, Forget the list - I did once I figured out that I was too stupid to use it. Instead, right-click and "select other" - then simply select the edge you want with the left mouse button. The new select other took some getting used to, but man, I really like it now. No more escaping because my cursor wasn't in the "right" place.
Richard Don't forget to sign up for SolidWorks World
Thanks, I see part of my problem now. I was trying to pick an imported object. Perhaps I'll get used to it. BTW, there seems to be a few issues with picking. After using the measure tool in an assembly it would only select entire bodies. I turned the measure tool on/off again and then I could be entities.
Another similar problem occurred when placing dimensions in a sketch. The dimension and leaders did not display after the second click, but did display properly after third click.
Richard Doyle wrote:

I agree with Richard, it's pretty cool! When you RMB on a face and do the 'Select Other', the face you clicked on dissapears so that you can truly see what's behind it. You then pick the face you need.
Mike Wilson
But maybe I'm missing something. It seems that a lot of the time, I do that and I get the face that I first clicked on, rather than the one below it. If I want the one below, I have to select it out of the box. If I can now see it, why can't I click on it?
WT

That sounds like something I submitted as a bug late in beta. It was a problem with particular faces of a model. I didn't find a pattern to which face s would have the problem, but it was persistent once there.
I agree, it's not quite right, yet. Sometimes when selecting, and selecting another time, that Z sub level (I'll call it?), where the selection box is no longer showing? It's not logical to me, or my want/need is to keep the list up and if it stepping down another Z level after another selection, maybe have a another window pop up and then maybe a back space for previois selection? Or, maybe a graphical target zone which helps the user understand what elements fall with in the select other area?
For a first release, it's ok but it needs work. I actually really wanted to do the beta on this feature but, I lost the information they sent me (because I picked up the message on my server and forgot to save it) and again I was busy during that time. This feature is important, imho, and hopefully it gets some more options, testing and qa applied to it?
..

Yeah, but if you work in wireframe mode a lot like I do, then it's still pretty confusing. I have been learning to switch to shaded mode just so I can more easily`select other'.
jk