Softquadro in SW2004 SP1, does it enable realview?

Hello all, Please see topic, I am sitting with a geforce 2 MX400 and winXP, and have tried the rivatuner/softquadro setup, but it does not allow for realview in Solidworks 2004 Service Pack 1. Anyone had any luck with this? Is there a workaround?

Reply to
Frederik Daniel Hjort

snipped-for-privacy@dbi.dk (Frederik Daniel Hjort) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Hmm, I tried it with a gforce4 in SP0 and it did enable realview, but since then I bought a quadro card so I don't know....

Zander

Reply to
Zander

My GeForce4 TI4600 thinks it's an Quadro4 900XL, yes realview can be enabled, but I get tired of it after a while. I only use it to show off, I typically work with non-shaded with hidden lines shown as grayed.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

Your Geforce 2 will patch to a Quadro 2 which doesn't support RealView.

Dave H

Frederik Daniel Hjort wrote:

Reply to
Dave H

So by extension, will a GeForce FX Go5200 hack to a Quadro FX?

This "hacking" thing is scary, but I'm tempted to try it. I would really like to have the "RealView" capabilities. The part that bothers me is messing up a brand new computer. I've downloaded all of the instructions for the SoftQuadro hack, but there isn't anything that tells me what to do if things go horribly wrong. Is it as simple as re-installing the GeForce drivers? For that matter, is re-installing the drivers easy? Is there a "Soft Quadro Hacking for Dummies"?

Dell Inspiron 5150 GeForce FX Go 5200

Richard Doyle

Reply to
Richard Doyle

It's really a leap of faith, but afterward you'll be happier. The problem with hacking your driver is the constant attempt to stay current. I'm sure new improvements in my driver have been added or bugs fixed, but it's such an ordeal to hack the driver, I don't like to do it as often as the new drivers are released.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

Does it improve your performance of the card wants it is hacked? Thanks

Reply to
Rocko

Well, it does NOT make it a Quadro card! But it does enable the card to open multiple windows, though I don't recommend more than 10 or so! I also get realview and rotating is smooth. I would recommend Quadros for thoughs who can afford them (the prices have dropped quite a bit lately), if you can't afford a real CAD card, the soft hack is the next best thing.

Keith

PS My favorite place to check current costs for computer related hardware :

Keith Streich

I have GEFORCE4 440 GO 64mb card in my laptop. It works pretty good but i am trying to get as much as i can for as long as i can out of it. I guess the Soft quadro should work on it? anybody tried this card or another laptop graphics gard?

Reply to
Rocko

Fear not. If you have XP, you can simply 'roll back' your drivers. Else, update to the drivers provided by Nvidia. I've done the hack to no less than six machines. No problems thus far.

As I am well aware, the card itself will not become an actual quadro card, as quadro cards have more memory and higher clock frequences. However, I cannot seem to remember that they should have more memory bandwidt, or more memory pipelines, so I believe that frequencies and memory size about covers the differences, at least for the older cards. All the hack does is really to give access to some extra instructions and functions that are useful when working with professional applications such as SolidWorks. As both quadro and normal cards are build on the same core (use the same chip), the normal geforce cards are also capable of executing the advanced commands for the quadro, the limiting factor really is the driver, and the driver for the normal cards does not support these instructions. This is why you will notice a performance gain when installing hacked drivers, as these hacked drivers will also install the advenced instructions as they think the card is a quadro.

Reply to
Frederik Daniel Hjort

I have a GeForce FX5600 that I have tried to hack with no joy. Has anybody had any success in hacking this card to a Quadro, If so could you possibly post the correct way do do this including which driver, location of the softquadro bits ect.

Cheers

Brian

Competition for Bob Zee; "Watch my hand writing this last letter"

Reply to
Brian Lawson