Quadro FX Go!

Hey all you SoftQuadro'ers out there who have been stuck with an FX Go- series chip....I finally found a solution on how to do this. I just got a new laptop (Toshiba Satellite 5200 - I can't afford a Dell M-series), and it has the GeForce FX 5600 Go series card in it. I noticed immediately it suffered from the usual "molasses-like" performance when opening 4 or more windows, and a little searching led me here:

Well, I followed the directions and it works grrreat! Enjoy! I'll try to update my website for the mobile HowTo when I get some time. I gotta get back to work right now...

Reply to
Markus Wankus

Hi Markus,

I am using the GEForce fx5600 and updated it to the latest SW-specific Nvidia driver, the Detonater 43.51 with very good results. The most obvious improvements are no more multi-sreen open limitation and better anti-aliasing. I would like to run the two benchmarks you refer to but cannot readily find the proper downloads from SpecView. Can you advise how to find these or, could you email the files to me?

Regards,

Dennis Deacon

805 684 3278 snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

Markus Wankus wrote:

Reply to
dennis deacon

Hi Dennis,

Well - that website isn't mine and I did not run the tests myself. But I believe you can get the benchmarks from spec.org - in particular here:

There is even a test especially for Solidworks. I should try these out sometime myself.

BTW - are you saying you are running stock Detonator 43.51's without a multi-window slowdown issue? Interesting. Are you on a mobile FX 5600 (FX Go), or a desktop?

Thanks,

Markus.

Reply to
Markus Wankus

Yes, running stock 43.51's on a desktop fx5600. No multi-window slowdown and no other problems so far.

I am beginning to think that NVidia's effort to keep game and workstation cards in separate categories for marketing reasons is becoming difficult for them to maintain through hardware architecture. There are far more similarities between game and workstation requirements than there are differences and it could just be that some of the cards can be quadro'd or semi quadro'd through specific drivers developed for each modeling program.

I would encourage others in the group to give this a try. One can always go back to the original driver if it does not work out.

Dennis

Markus Wankus wrote:

Reply to
dennis deacon

I hope you have a high-speed connection...did you see the size of those benchmarks? Like 230MB! Maybe I'll try them this weekend...

Markus.

Reply to
Markus Wankus