PDMWorks - Number of Files Per Folder

We have been advised that it is best to layout the vault using many folders, instead of using a few folders containing many files. What does SolidWorks recommend to be the maximum number of files contained in a folder?

Marc

Reply to
cadmgr2004

Who are you getting your advice from? I've never heard this before, and I don't think there is a maximum. We use "projects" during development to make navigation easier (for the boss mostly), but once something is released it's moved into one folder. So far it contains 17,460 files - almost 2.5GB worth.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

Hello Richard- With

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

There are issues with doing a bulk load of legacy files into the PDMWorks vault. If you try to load more than 800 files into the same project folder, the loading process will take much longer than if you do it in smaller pieces.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Is that 800 at time, or more than 800 files in a project? If it is a hard limit of 800 that seems awfully low considering the size assemblies often reach these days.

If you mean "Show thumbnail graphics in Windows Explorer I wouldn't know. I've never liked it and don't use it. If you mean the PDMWorks preview window then no, we haven't seen any problems - all previews are nearly instantaneous.

I just read a note from SoldidWorks on the SWX discussion forum and Joy also recommends a "folder" based system in PDMWorks. She doesn't mention how many files would be an issue, but based on our experience here, it's more than

17,0000.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

I have not done any testing, but I think it is at a time. When one of our engineers ran into this problem, he just created sub-projects and loaded 800 files into different projects at a time.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne