Number of files in a folder

Hi

Does anybody have any experience with how many files to have in a folder without slowing SolidWorks when loading files?

We have our files in three folders called 3000000, 4000000, 5000000 and that gives a possibility to have 1000000 files in each folder.

I am thinking of creating sub-folders but have no idea when to start (10000, 50000 or 100000 files in each folder)

Kind regards

Klaus Sabroe

Reply to
Klaus Sabroe

Hi Klaus If you use Solidworks explorer for renaming files or performing other tasks, the larger the folder the longer you wait. MS has a recommended size, but from what I remember, it was too small. I would suggest between 1500 and 2000.

Tony O'Hara Melbourne, Australia.

Reply to
Tony

We limit ours to 1,000 this seems to be slow anyways. But if you limit it any more you wil have too many folders to search. To speed up our search for files I created a macro to take a user given part number and figure out which directory it should be in. This way you don't have to deal with the

10,000 parts in a folder just the one and hit Open no directory hopping and such. Much quicker. Only about 10% of the time do I have to actually search directories and 9 out of 10 of those are R&D.

Corey Scheich

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Hi Thank you for your response. I have been searching Microsoft's homepage but cannot find it. We have a folder with 13.000 files and I do not find it slow. But I will talk to our IT department and maybe they can find something.

Kind regards and have a nice weekend

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Sabroe