New Computer

I'd like some feedback on a new computer I'm shopping for. Processor is a P4 3.2ghz, video card is a Quadro FX 1100 for $609, monitor is a 22" Viewsonic. About 3gb of memory. I'd like to know how these items rate generally, and what other components might get me better bang for the buck. Right now, cost is around $3100.

I also plan on upgrading my current computer. It's a P3 800 with a Quadro4 500/550xgl, NT-4. I'm going to go with an AMD processor and more memory, mainly so I can run Windows XP Pro.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Reply to
John Kimmel

John,

The Athlon 64FX's, and Opteron 246,248's perform as well as a P4 4.2ghz. The problem is,,, Intel doesn't make a 4.2...

I don't use Intel anymore. I tested them side by side, apples and apples. AMD won.

The FX1100 is a great card. They work great with my new AMD systems

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

AMD CPU's are faster. Go here to read and research computer configurations:

Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

Also, you might consider a Motherboard with a couple of PCI-x slots and an AGP8x slot, for upgrade later. The new PCI-x bandwidth is double the rate of AGP8x. SolidWorks already shows an approved PCI-x video card on their website.(FX1300). With the AMD CPU you're 64 bit ready and could upgrade to a real rocket ship next year when Windows 64 is available(16GB Ram!). Devon

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell