SW2005 Drawing Problems

I have encountered (2) 2005 drawing issues today:

- I used to RMB select an edge and Hide Edge in 2004 with no problem. Now I can not select an edge, instead the whole line is selected (the edge is "co-linear to the "line" representing a different edge). This forces me to make a multi-body part.

- When I print as a .pdf a multi-sheet drawing, where one sheet has a Shaded With Edges isometric model view, the model edges come out highlighted RED. To work around, I print just that page and it prints normal with black edges.

Also, I edit baloons text often. In 2004 when a baloon is double clicked the text for edditing is already highlighted - all you have to do is type new text. In 2005 double clicking a baloon makes its text edditable, but not highlighted and an annoying (in this situation) text edit toolbar pops up.

Oh, well... can't have it all! Just wanted to share....

Reply to
zz

zz,

This edge selection is in fact a great, and much needed new feature. With this feature, you don't have to zoom in tight in order to select a small edge at the end of a drawing line. Also, this will be very useful for people that use 2D CAM (sheetmetal, wire EDM, etc.) or other downstreams that require outlines.

Don't fear though, you can still select individual edges just as you did previously by holding the shift button down while selecting.

I haven't actually used SW2005 yet. But I have been doing a lot of reading on the "What's New".

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Thank you Seth! I just started reading What's New and didn't get to Hiding Edge yet. Now it works for me. I have to look into the benefits of the new feature though - I never had problems generating a .DXF file of a sheet metal flat layout... Thanks again!

Reply to
zz

It is not the generating of the .dxf that has ever been a problem. It is the software that uses the .dxf information downstream that has had problems with the multiple edges representing one line.

For example: When I first started working here, I tried to export my 2d drawings to .dxf so that the profiles could be used in a CAM system to program our wire EDM. My boss does the programming. He would get the geometry and try to apply a cut path to the profile. More often than not, profiles that should have been one line, that was made up of lots of edges, would fail. He would have to spend some time cleaning up the geometry (removing extra edges where it could be one line) and then re-try applying a cut path. He got so annoyed with having to do this so much that he told me to stop giving him .dxf files. Now, he only wants the paper drawings so he can redraw the geometry within the CAM system.

Either way is a waste of time. But with this new "one edge" feature from SW, I foresee being able to send him .dxf files that he can actually use now.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Check out the "Merge faces" option of the "Flat Pattern" feature.

Reply to
rocheey

rocheey,

I don't do sheetmetal. What I am talking about is for a view that makes a profile edge look like it should be one line, but in reality it is multiple edges. A simplified example can be found in the SW "What's New" document in chapter 9-8 (page 144 in the PDF file).

Reply to
Seth Renigar