Can the feature tree be expanded?

After hiding a part is often difficult to relocate it again when attempting to make the part visible. In a large assembly the part, at times, can only
be found by manually expanding the tree. There are a lot of "+ " signs that need to be opened and it is very time consuming. My question is: Is there a single command that will completely expand the feature tree?
I have the same problem when trying to locate a part when I click on the part and apply the command "Go to feature." If the feature is hidden inside the tree it won't highlight the part. Expanding the tree would also help in this situation.
We have over 50 Solidworks seats at our company and no one in our company nor our VAR has an answer.
Help!
Dal Wagner
Hi Dal,
I don't know any command to Expand the feature tree (only to collaps) but to find any part I use the goto command in the feature tree. Rightclick on any component in the feature tree, but you have to know the name or a part of the name of the component you like to find.
http://www.construction-3d.de/misc/goto_command.jpg
--

Steffen-t

www.construction-3d.com
Yes there is, but be careful, it does just that - totally expands. Highlight the item that is at the top of the desired expand level. If you want the whole tree, highlight the top item. Then hit <Alt>*, with the * being the one on the numeric keypad.
By the way, this is a Windows command and so can also be used in Explorer.
WT

attempting
only
that
I have been thinking more about your original issue, rather than your specific question. If you select an assy that has something hidden in it, such as a frame wlmt, in the Feature Tree, then go to the Edit menu, you can choose Show with Dependents. This will do as it says - show this assy and everything inside it - even if the assy itself isn't hidden. So, if you are in an upper level assy, and you know the hidden items are inside a certain assy somewhere, and you don't mind showing *everything* inside that assy, then the Show with Dependents would be the way to go.
WT

company
Wayne Tiffany wrote:

I can't get that to work, any suggestions? Thanks, Ryan

Furthermore, how do we find out about more of these?

More research... I managed to track down a list of keyboard shortcuts for explorer in Windows help. That one isn't in there.
I'm surprised to "hear" you ask this question - you of all people should know the answer. Visit this NG! :-)
WT

Try just the * if Alt* doesn't work. I think there might be a difference in Win98 vs. XP, or something - I don't remember.
WT

*
Explorer.

in
Works here with *, +, and - to group the tree
Win2k explorer, and SW04SP-4.2
Dal Wagner, All of the tips that everyone else gave are all helpful for identifying or locating components. Below are are few SW settings that can also be used: Tools - Options: (Pull Down Menu) System Options - FeatureManager Check the following; - Scroll selected item into view. - Dynamic Highlight.
System Options - Display/Selection Check the following; - Dynamic highlight from graphics view. Using these setting along with the "Go to" command should help. Good Luck, Eddie