Mitutoyo Digimatic caliper error "Err 05"

My Mitutoyo Digimatic caliper is refusing to work and says "Err 05". Would anyone have any idea what this may mean?

On the older ones, it means you overrode its ability to keep up with movement of the slide. Either you moved the slide too fast, or it has water, oil, or dirt on it. Reset by turning it off and on. Clean the scale first and wipe with a VERY lightly oiled rag.
But that reading looked like this: E--e5. If yours says Err 05, it's probably a newer one. In that case, call Mitutoyo to find out: 1--888-648- 8869.
-- Ed Huntress

I think that it is E--e5. I was quoting by memory. I will try to clean it.
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:34:51 -0500, Ignoramus24410

Ayup..it cant read the scale any longer.
Its the equivelent of the Microsoft Blue Screen of Death.
Ive got 4 Mitys in the junk box that all have that error.
Means the circuit board is toast and it costs almost $60 for Mity to replace it, based on 2 estimates from Mity in Los Angeles
Gunner
"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Gunner Asch wrote:

I've got a Mitutoyo scale and I can reproduce the error quite easily by holding the scale in my sweaty hand for a minute or so then running the reader head across that section, after allowing to dry and a reset it will work fine again. Not saying yours aren't dead, just it may be a cleaning issue in some cases.
David Billington wrote:

I had this problem on a 24" Heigth Gage. There is a plug in connector that can loosen up and the pulses don't read properly. Open it up and check the connections.
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Day is deader den da cow what mah hamburger just now came from.
Trust me..as cheap and as motivated to scrounge/fix stuff up..when I say they are dead....day is history.
Gunner
"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Too bad.
Are the "new mitutoyo calipers" sold on ebay, counterfeit?
A lot of it stems from folks not being able to read analog tools anymore.
Need proof- hand a college kid a non-digital caliper or mic and enjoy the bewildered look on his face

Rob Fraser wrote:

Just like I used to love when people asked my if they could borrow my HP calculator with RPN and they spent time looking for the = key or if they got that far looking for the "off" button as it had an"on" button, maybe like Windows with "Start" but no "Stop". I got my HP returned once after losing it and went to thank the guys that turned it in, they said "nice calculator" and would have kept it if they could figure out how to use it.

"Rob Fraser" <FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net> wrote:

When I was a college kid, I did know how to read a vernier caliper because I had used some birthday-resent money to buy a 6" Helios caliper (which I still have). This ability amazed my summer-job bosses at RCA (when it was a major defense contractor).
Now, my eyes aren't good enough unless the light is perfect, so I use dial or digital calipers.
Joe Gwinn

I was taught how to use them, 21 years ago, an almost useless skill by now.
On Monday, September 29, 2008 at 6:14:13 PM UTC-4, Rob Fraser wrote:

...LOL...some 60 year olds too...
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:43:54 -0500, Ignoramus24410

No idea. It should be noted that even the Chicom imports are just as accurate as the Mits in the vast majority of cases. They simply just dont last as long oftentimes.
Yeah..Ive got drawers filled with Miti, NSK, Fowler, Federal and so forth. And use decent cheap chicom stuff for most of the dirty nasty jobs, like leaving them laying on the carraige of the lathe while cutting chips, with flood coolant.
"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Gunner, not to dispute your death certificates, but I have resurrected a gang on Mitutoyo (and other electronic) calipers, that "die". and I havefound that a number of them gave up because of damage, chips, small specks of dirt, swarf, attached to the reader, though the scale in the beam remained ok.
Repair involved full disassembly, cleaning the pickup thoroughly.
Flash
(Formerly Tool & Gage Supervisor in a LARGE foundry/machine-shop kinda company)
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 00:05:36 -0400, "Flash"

I ought to dig them out and send em to you. Fixem all and send me back half, you keep half.
"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Gunner, You'd have spend more than their worth on postage to this side of the continent, and I'd have to spend twice as much more on insurance to ship 'em back. But thanks for the offer.
I just bought an 8" knockoff at Horrible Freight last week for $19.95, and they check as good as the Mitts.
(It is all a matter of "economics" trumping "esthetics" , . . . . . . SIGH)
How big a shadow-box are you building for the foursome? Planning a ceremony of sorts? I met Mitutoyo's esteemed Dr. Matsuga a few times and was also in two of his classes in metrology, and I believe he would approve if the service was Shinto-based.
Flash

Uh, Do you mean Nubuo Suga? And Mitutoyo supports a Buddhist monestary. I don't think they have ties to Shintoism, do they?
-- Ed Huntress
Ed, would you, per chance, know if there is any meaningful difference between a Mitutoyo caliper, and a Harbor Freight caliper, as far as construction goes?

No, I don't, Iggy. I was involved with Mitutoyo before the Chinese stuff was taken seriously.
Although the Mitutoyo tools are generally very good, their calipers weren't, in my opinion, up to the quality of the rest of their tools. They weren't rigid enough.
I don't know what they're like now. I accumulated a lot of Mitutoyo tools when I was writing and doing photography for them. I have several lifetimes' supply and haven't even bothered to look at anything new.
-- Ed Huntress