Mitutoyo Digimatic caliper error "Err 05" (2023 Update)

My Mitutoyo Digimatic caliper is refusing to work and says "Err 05". Would anyone have any idea what this may mean?

Reply to
Ignoramus24410

On the older ones, it means you overrode its ability to keep up with movement of the slide. Either you moved the slide too fast, or it has water, oil, or dirt on it. Reset by turning it off and on. Clean the scale first and wipe with a VERY lightly oiled rag.

But that reading looked like this: E--e5. If yours says Err 05, it's probably a newer one. In that case, call Mitutoyo to find out: 1--888-648-

8869.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I think that it is E--e5. I was quoting by memory. I will try to clean it.

Reply to
Ignoramus24410

Ayup..it cant read the scale any longer.

Its the equivelent of the Microsoft Blue Screen of Death.

Ive got 4 Mitys in the junk box that all have that error.

Means the circuit board is toast and it costs almost $60 for Mity to replace it, based on 2 estimates from Mity in Los Angeles

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I've got a Mitutoyo scale and I can reproduce the error quite easily by holding the scale in my sweaty hand for a minute or so then running the reader head across that section, after allowing to dry and a reset it will work fine again. Not saying yours aren't dead, just it may be a cleaning issue in some cases.

Reply to
David Billington

I had this problem on a 24" Heigth Gage. There is a plug in connector that can loosen up and the pulses don't read properly. Open it up and check the connections.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Too bad.

Are the "new mitutoyo calipers" sold on ebay, counterfeit?

Reply to
Ignoramus24410

A lot of it stems from folks not being able to read analog tools anymore.

Need proof- hand a college kid a non-digital caliper or mic and enjoy the bewildered look on his face

Reply to
Rob Fraser

Day is deader den da cow what mah hamburger just now came from.

Trust me..as cheap and as motivated to scrounge/fix stuff up..when I say they are dead....day is history.

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Reply to
Gunner Asch

No idea. It should be noted that even the Chicom imports are just as accurate as the Mits in the vast majority of cases. They simply just dont last as long oftentimes.

Yeah..Ive got drawers filled with Miti, NSK, Fowler, Federal and so forth. And use decent cheap chicom stuff for most of the dirty nasty jobs, like leaving them laying on the carraige of the lathe while cutting chips, with flood coolant.

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Just like I used to love when people asked my if they could borrow my HP calculator with RPN and they spent time looking for the = key or if they got that far looking for the "off" button as it had an"on" button, maybe like Windows with "Start" but no "Stop". I got my HP returned once after losing it and went to thank the guys that turned it in, they said "nice calculator" and would have kept it if they could figure out how to use it.

Reply to
David Billington

Gunner, not to dispute your death certificates, but I have resurrected a gang on Mitutoyo (and other electronic) calipers, that "die". and I havefound that a number of them gave up because of damage, chips, small specks of dirt, swarf, attached to the reader, though the scale in the beam remained ok.

Repair involved full disassembly, cleaning the pickup thoroughly.

Flash

(Formerly Tool & Gage Supervisor in a LARGE foundry/machine-shop kinda company)

Reply to
Flash

Coin cell (battery) low?

Dirty scale (just wipe it clean along the whole length).

Need to remove the coin cell, turn it "on" to discharge it totally, let it sit for a few minutes, then re-insert the (fresh) coin cell. Sometimes, bouncing contacts when installing the battery can confuse the tiny little CPU in the thing and letting it go to sleep to forget what had happened is the easiest way to clear it.

I don't have a manual with mine, or I would try looking up the error code. If you have the manual for yours -- you could try that.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I ought to dig them out and send em to you. Fixem all and send me back half, you keep half.

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Reply to
Gunner Asch

definitely not. I tried a new battery.

does not help

I bought this caliper 14 years ago at a pawn shop in Oklahoma. No manual either.

Reply to
Ignoramus28941

Think you got your moneys worth yet?

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Most definitely. It served me faithfully for these years, and cost just $20.

Reply to
Ignoramus28941

Then put it in a nice little shadowbox, drape it in black crepe and put a RIP-2008 plate on it, and get another one. They are cheap and frankly ...disposable.

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I will keep using it, for wood and stuff, where I do not need the readout.

Reply to
Ignoramus28941

Oklahoma. No

years, and cost

black crepe and

are cheap and

need the

You mean, like, measure it with a caliper, mark it off with a crayon and cut it off with a chain saw? sorry, couldn't resist.......;>)

Reply to
Phil Kangas