Mitutoyo Digimatic caliper error "Err 05" (2023 Update)

Gunner, You'd have spend more than their worth on postage to this side of the continent, and I'd have to spend twice as much more on insurance to ship 'em back. But thanks for the offer.

I just bought an 8" knockoff at Horrible Freight last week for $19.95, and they check as good as the Mitts.

(It is all a matter of "economics" trumping "esthetics" , . . . . . . SIGH)

How big a shadow-box are you building for the foursome? Planning a ceremony of sorts? I met Mitutoyo's esteemed Dr. Matsuga a few times and was also in two of his classes in metrology, and I believe he would approve if the service was Shinto-based.

Flash

Reply to
Flash

Almost!

Reply to
Ignoramus28941

Uh, Do you mean Nubuo Suga? And Mitutoyo supports a Buddhist monestary. I don't think they have ties to Shintoism, do they?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ed, would you, per chance, know if there is any meaningful difference between a Mitutoyo caliper, and a Harbor Freight caliper, as far as construction goes?

Reply to
Ignoramus28941

Its in 1/16's?

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Ive got em in a DutchMasters cigar box with a busted Muller and some other stuff.

Say..can I ring the bell???

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Reply to
Gunner Asch

No, I don't, Iggy. I was involved with Mitutoyo before the Chinese stuff was taken seriously.

Although the Mitutoyo tools are generally very good, their calipers weren't, in my opinion, up to the quality of the rest of their tools. They weren't rigid enough.

I don't know what they're like now. I accumulated a lot of Mitutoyo tools when I was writing and doing photography for them. I have several lifetimes' supply and haven't even bothered to look at anything new.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ig, the only functional difference that I'm aware of is that the data output signals on the digital China models is different from the output of the Mitutoyo caliper models.

Nick Meuller? developed an interface, YADRO, to connect the China data output signals to a PC/laptop for use as a DRO display. There are other devices that have digital LED or LCD remote displays for the China scales, so the operator can see the displayed position without looking at the display on the scale.

FWIW, the output signals of the most common types of lathe/mill DRO linear encoder scales (not the ones that look like digital calipers) are TTL squarewaves.

Many rotary encoders have the same TTL squarewave output signals.

But some manufacturers of linear and rotary encoders use output signals that are not compatible with TTL DRO display circuitry. Some manufacturers use magnetic properties to produce the output signals of their encoders.

WB ......... metalworking projects

Wild_Bill

When I was a college kid, I did know how to read a vernier caliper because I had used some birthday-resent money to buy a 6" Helios caliper (which I still have). This ability amazed my summer-job bosses at RCA (when it was a major defense contractor).

Now, my eyes aren't good enough unless the light is perfect, so I use dial or digital calipers.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I was taught how to use them, 21 years ago, an almost useless skill by now.

Reply to
Ignoramus23721

...LOL...some 60 year olds too...

Reply to
jstain3710

I messed with the HF and other Chinese digitals for years. Seemed like I was always buying batteries for them. Then I bought a Mitutoyo digital caliper. Batteries last forever. Now that's all I use.

Reply to
Rex

The main issue with the HF/clones is that the off button only shut off the display, the chip still stays powered up. There is a way to add a small switch to actually shut off the power, but it isn't real easy to find the correct switch these days, or you just remove the battery.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yes I think so. I bought one a couple of years ago and thought initially it was the real deal but on closer inspection and comparison with a real one I'm pretty sure it's a fake, albeit a very good one. What gives this one away is that the Mitutoyo brand printed on the front is not as fine as a real one and is applies crookedly, it goes in a slight curve, which would not pass a Mitutoyo factory QA check. Also the battery cover looks slightly poorly made to me. Seems to work fine though, is reliable and pretty accurate as far as I know.

Reply to
MC